deer dogs (preban)

You never had a Roe buck turn and face the dogs?

I heard a story of a roe buck that stood and lowered his head while a dog was hurtling down the beam towards it but ( so I am told) it blinked and tried to turn and run at the last minute when the dog was about 20 yds off it.

the world best story teller tell of a case where a dog was slipped on a roe buck that unknown to him was originally a pet, it turned on the dog and gave it a good yucking, the dog died ofits injurys, i have a scar on my foot where a roe buck stuck me through my wellie, foot swelt up to a size of a balloon, just a little puncture wound, but deep as feck!!!

• Like 1

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

Guest bigdaddylongchopper

what did you find was a real test for you dog

when a 190lb stag decides he aint going to run no more, and face's a dog , thats a test if you got a deer dog. :yes:

To be honest Ray if you've got a good deer dog it should NEVER come to that but obviously you will have the exception? :yes: ..they should be pulled long before it get's to the stage of the deer being ran to exhaustion imo :thumbs:

true, :thumbs: yeh its the quality of the dog , you need a 100% dog on a fallow stag, and not all dogs are .!

there bucks not stags :thumbs:

• Like 5

what did you find was a real test for you dog

when a 190lb stag decides he aint going to run no more, and face's a dog , thats a test if you got a deer dog. :yes:

To be honest Ray if you've got a good deer dog it should NEVER come to that but obviously you will have the exception? :yes: ..they should be pulled long before it get's to the stage of the deer being ran to exhaustion imo :thumbs:

true, :thumbs: yeh its the quality of the dog , you need a 100% dog on a fallow stag, and not all dogs are .!

there bucks not stags :thumbs:

Did you read that in the same book bigdaddy? :tongue2:

I remember a while back, a guy posting on here and saying "even the worst Lurcher will kill daytime Roe" !! I questioned wether he had ever ran roe ? Yes I've seen the stupid ones, day and night, that run into fences, etc; but I've also seen them go over fences like an Olympic hurdler ! LOL ! You get one that knows where it's heading, and you need a good fast dog to take it ! :thumbs:

Cheers.

• Like 2

now i have never been lucky enough for any of my dogs to have caught one probably due to the lack of numbers of deer on my ground. but i will always remember when i first got into the sport years back and one bolted from cover and ran straight across an open field with my dog in hot pursuit the course must of lasted 2 mins tops before it reached cover. looking back it should of been dead and maybe the whippet x grey i had at the time held back a little if i am honest. i was just wondering if any of you lads have had the joy of owning a dog that took deer regularly be it on the lamp or in the day and what crosses would you choose to use if it was deer you was after?

feel free to upload some pictures lads :thumbs:

I've took them wit a wheaten cross here in Ireland regular pre ban. Never got a huge stag but some decent sizes ones. As for red stag I wouldn't slip two dogs on one never mind single dog. Way too powerful and strong I would really like to see it wit my eyes to believe it. Atb mate you never know your ban might get dropped and you might get chance to run a dog again on them atb turk

any pictures lads ;)

Yes plenty mate thankyou...do you? ;)

if you read my first post you will find i have never had the pleasure of catching one and shortly after the ban i joined the army for 5 years so i never got the chance to keep a dog let alone run deer, but if you want to be an arse dont let me stop you :thumbs:

we are talking pre ban here aint we :thumbs:

Edited by Ray Mears
  • Like 1

I wasn't being an arse fella,just a bit tongue in cheek really...my pics have been plastered all over these forums from preban years..i'm pretty sure you will of seen atleast a few of them the time you've been a member here?...Cheers Andy. :thumbs:

• Like 1