deer dogs (preban)

13 minutes ago, skycat said:

They are like ghosts at night. Your spot some bright white eyes, and then they vanish. It's something to do with their colour and fur texture: they're almost impossible to see if they keep still, and they spend very little time out in the open. I've practically fallen over them whilst beating and they'll keep quite still by day even when you pass them a yard away, unless they're disturbed by a dog. Round here they have reached pest proportions. They live in people's back gardens and those are as bold as brass: seen a little cockerpoo barking at a pair in a garden hedge and the munties just stood there and stared at the dog. Also see them on the embankments round Peterborough, grazing out in the open there, not a care in the world. It's a weird world we live in when wildlife encroaches on human environments and most people never even realise its there.

Yeah they are definitely ghosts I have caught the odd 1 creeping about in the open or been spooked out by something into the open but they do tend to stick to the cover and ditches and dykes and such I used to work in highwycombe and I remember going out to the van to get something this was about 11 on the morning people walking round on housing estate and this munty buck was walking round like he owned the place ?

• Like 1

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

I have had every type of deer that Britain has to offer right from chinkys to a red stag tell the truth I got most of them with my old coursing dog Rio... he drop a 186 in one season but I never had a red stag with him ..I have had everything but more roe deer than any thing else ...he did 8 Chinese water deer in one night we got 5 sika stags one night with him and beddy greyhound av done fallow bucks with them a done 7 that season with him and my old beddy cross but day time roe and fallow were my favourite thought sika easy  were like catching sheep to tell the truth easy the just rolled over .... I was deer mad for a few years to tell the truth and ran them everywhere I could the best fallow I ever seen were in Portsmouth relly big rackets on them  and the sika a done were down Dorset and done red up the lakes but that was with bull cross dog half cross 

20200116_225928.jpg

• Like 10
1 hour ago, CA$H 91 said:

I have had every type of deer that Britain has to offer right from chinkys to a red stag tell the truth I got most of them with my old coursing dog Rio... he drop a 186 in one season but I never had a red stag with him ..I have had everything but more roe deer than any thing else ...he did 8 Chinese water deer in one night we got 5 sika stags one night with him and beddy greyhound av done fallow bucks with them a done 7 that season with him and my old beddy cross but day time roe and fallow were my favourite thought sika easy  were like catching sheep to tell the truth easy the just rolled over .... I was deer mad for a few years to tell the truth and ran them everywhere I could the best fallow I ever seen were in Portsmouth relly big rackets on them  and the sika a done were down Dorset and done red up the lakes but that was with bull cross dog half cross 

20200116_225928.jpg

Shame I had to have his sister put down at ten month......max has a cracking looking bitch out of his sister to grey

23 minutes ago, TOMO said:

Shame I had to have his sister put down at ten month......max has a cracking looking bitch out of his sister to grey

Ano mate I remember that pup she was a lovely pup ...and av see that pup max has got back end of last season she is very fast like 

1 hour ago, skycat said:

They are like ghosts at night. Your spot some bright white eyes, and then they vanish. It's something to do with their colour and fur texture: they're almost impossible to see if they keep still, and they spend very little time out in the open. I've practically fallen over them whilst beating and they'll keep quite still by day even when you pass them a yard away, unless they're disturbed by a dog. Round here they have reached pest proportions. They live in people's back gardens and those are as bold as brass: seen a little cockerpoo barking at a pair in a garden hedge and the munties just stood there and stared at the dog. Also see them on the embankments round Peterborough, grazing out in the open there, not a care in the world. It's a weird world we live in when wildlife encroaches on human environments and most people never even realise its there.

Reds,Roe and Munties on one of my shoots for terrier work and i can find roe and munties without fail on permission 10,15 mins walk from my front door....Maybe i should rethink about getting another runner  :hmm:...:laugh:..

IMG_20190506_131916914_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20160613_063038217 (1).jpg

IMG_20190506_132031958_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20160613_063030787.jpg

• Like 1
1 minute ago, fireman said:

Reds,Roe and Munties on one of my shoots for terrier work and i can find roe and munties without fail on permission 10,15 mins walk from my front door....Maybe i should rethink about getting another runner  :hmm:...:laugh:..

IMG_20190506_131916914_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20160613_063038217 (1).jpg

IMG_20190506_132031958_HDR (1).jpg

IMG_20160613_063030787.jpg

How big are these cwd and muntjac, say compared to a sheep.

We have plenty reds around me here, but that's it.

Atb j 

2 minutes ago, fireman said:

Chinks can be roe size in the body but with shorter legs and munties are smaller and maybe 1/2 grown lamb size,it's the fight in the munties that makes them harder work but not every one fights back..

Right, so not that big so, now I understand how some whippets could take them, preban, .

What are the like to reproduce, would it take them long to populate an area 

Atb j 

12 minutes ago, fireman said:

Chinks can be roe size in the body but with shorter legs and munties are smaller and maybe 1/2 grown lamb size,it's the fight in the munties that makes them harder work but not every one fights back..

Yeah they don't go down with out a rough and tumble to a big dog there nothing really but to a light framed dog they are abit of a handful places I used to run them preban are basicly places that are thick with cover with spots here and there that they can break abit of open ground you deffo need a dog that doesn't give them much breathing space 

• Like 1