deer dogs (preban)

• Replies 765
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Mates little whippet was a good deer dog pre ban 19tts. Very capable little bitch was Skippy

couple more in me youth.many many moons ago.when i was kean , now the ban i sit back and just think of the good old day,s,,

An old pre ban one a dog bred out of a 22tts lamp bitch to a first cross saluki/grey called jed from county duram.

Posted Images

:yes:Caught a fair few Roe in the woods,...if they rise close, jumping up out of brash , cover or bracken, a fast type can quickly take them down,...but, it is a practice, fraught with danger,.I've had dogs get real busted up in the woods,..

In my experience,..it's a game of chance,.best avoided,..it just ain't worth the risk... :no:

Yip agree..

deer jumping up in front of you in this way in woods are usually one in the bag..and we have all done that, and I would be so disappointed if any of my dogs missed a chance like that..

But chase a roe and it jumping into Harwood or Kielder Forrest or some of the big woods where I live, and that will be the last you see of that white arse again..

Seen them jump into a strip would with the dog following, and out the other side and the dog getting it in the next open field..but again, everyone who had a deer hunting head on (Pre ban) will have seen similar.

Roe are no great challenge for a decent lurcher, or the man with a bit savvy..they are a creature of habit, they can be easily worked into situations where it makes them easier to get..or worked out of woods for a dog to catch, on the lamp, they are even easier..and nice to eat.

And as said above, nowerdays best avoided..

Edited by Omanyra
  • Like 1
  • 4 years later...
On 20/10/2012 at 19:40, Ray Mears said:

every thread turns messy on here :laugh: i would have loved to have done it properly pre ban, i remember as i kid i nearly wet myself when it come bounding across the field. i think it sticks out more just cause i never caught one and wont ever get the chance to be honest.

easy to catch?? i doubt it have you seen the feckers shift....

Many kinds of lurcher took  deer pre ban ,some have it some don't simple as that ,same as fox dogs .

i had a none ped whippet take muntjacs and they strong for the size ,

a big red stag take some pulling down ,

• Like 1
27 minutes ago, Moocher71 said:

Many kinds of lurcher took  deer pre ban ,some have it some don't simple as that ,same as fox dogs .

i had a none ped whippet take muntjacs and they strong for the size ,

a big red stag take some pulling down ,

when i had my none ped whippet bitch, there were few males down the track 22 -23in  34 lb  that kill foxes and had few roe,  they strong tough little dogs, i like the none ped whippet great little dogs. but for deer you need a bigger type dog, that can deal with big and small deer , somthing about 25-26in  60-70lb , and one with bit of grit in it , for this type quarry ,

• Like 3
6 hours ago, bird said:

when i had my none ped whippet bitch, there were few males down the track 22 -23in  34 lb  that kill foxes and had few roe,  they strong tough little dogs, i like the none ped whippet great little dogs. but for deer you need a bigger type dog, that can deal with big and small deer , somthing about 25-26in  60-70lb , and one with bit of grit in it , for this type quarry ,

My lad was 21 tts and 30/35 pound and a good jook in his day .

i going to pm you tomorrow ray as I'm in hereford next week .

atb mate 

Munty bucks are tough little buggers and put up a surprising fight for their size. If dog grabs them by neck / shoulders, it runs risk of getting a spike in its face / neck and with a leg hold it’s amazing how they will spin round and try to take the dogs shoulder/ flank with their little sharp tusks. Skin like leather to. Good dogs develop the knack of bowling them over and onto the throat like a fox etc. 

• Like 1

This thread also reminds me of the days when this site had lots of folk on it that did a lot, knew a lot, and we used to have the odd interesting discussion about hunting. Seems like a very very high proportion of armchair hunters, dreamers and kids on this section now, but I suppose they are the only ones you can safely talk about it, you can’t get in trouble for talking / hinting about the hunting you don’t actually do.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1