best air gun to tune

But if he mucked up a Hw etc surely it doesn't cost much to put right? I bet a few spring gurus here would show him the ropes if he was to bugger it up. If he was to buy an smk, then buy parts etc, which could be bought three or four times if he buggered.it up. Then got it right, thought il sell it, he would still loose out on money lol that's if he could sell it

• Like 2

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"HW rifles are generally not the best to tune"....   :laugh: :laugh: That's a beauty! It really is!   Simon

Been reading this with interest, and thought I'd throw this into the mix- buy an old hw80 for around £100, and either tune it yourself with a kit, or strip it and polish the internals since quite fran

Buy cheap, buy twice. It's as simple as that. You can't polish a turd.   As Wurz has said, an older used HW whatever can be picked up for around a ton and unless it been very badly abused or butcher

But if he mucked up a Hw etc surely it doesn't cost much to put right? I bet a few spring gurus here would show him the ropes if he was to bugger it up. If he was to buy an smk, then buy parts etc, which could be bought three or four times if he buggered.it up. Then got it right, thought il sell it, he would still loose out on money lol that's if he could sell it

Applying your logic he would be out a lot more if he buggered up the HW you recommend three or four times. Apprentice piece, not masterpiece, get your skills in on something cheap, like the SMK, make sure you have them there then go ahead with Wild Abandon (wherever she may be hiding)! The airgun gurus on here will be able to help him master his skills on the SMK! You can't polish a turd, but if you polish your skills it stops you turning a gem into a turd!

Been reading this with interest, and thought I'd throw this into the mix- buy an old hw80 for around £100, and either tune it yourself with a kit, or strip it and polish the internals since quite frankly its just as easy to do a hw as it is to do an smk, probably easier in fact since the fekker wil actually go back together without requiring 400 extra washers and a ton of shim material. And at the end of the day, if you make a hash up of it, you can take it to a gun smith and hold your hands up to a balls up, and get em to put it right for a not massive sum of cash. In fact most old 80's I've come across hardly need any work doing, theyre worn in a treat and smoother than most modern hw rifles.

• Like 4

Buy cheap, buy twice. It's as simple as that. You can't polish a turd.

As Wurz has said, an older used HW whatever can be picked up for around a ton and unless it been very badly abused or butchered, a good service or has already been said, an off the shelf tuning kit will have it shooting better for a potential life time of ownership, even if it's thirty or more years old now. No cheap and cheerful bargain bin special will ever be able to do that.

I kind of get where Mike's coming from but I certainly don't agree. Each to their own :thumbs:

Edited by andyfr1968
  • Like 4

i have had nothing to do with hw s but tx s and prosports have more bits in the trigger than the rest of the rifle and are an absolute doddle to strip / tune. i agree with the " cant polish a turd" philosophy. if you are serious about shooting why buy shite?? you want a rifle that you love and want to keep i cant be arsed with buying and selling every fortnight. some people seem to like the thrill of spending money on rifles more than the thrill of shooting them. having said that people that buy new and keep for 5 minutes are handy for the pre used market as there are a lot of decent s/h set ups out there.

• Like 2

I agree with andy, Buy cheap buy twice

If you want a good gun go out and buy the best you can, if you dont you will always have that little niggle which in the end will drive you to spend more.

ATB

Adam

• Like 2

SMK & Hatstand will always be a Turd :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Stick with HW or Airarms :yes:, I've an untuned HW80 K it give's a slight twang but by Bugger is it Accurate in the right hands,

I've also got a Prosport and feel that when it get's it's left hand stock it will be even more Accurate :icon_eek::yes:

atvb Daz 7.

Edited by Daz 7

Stick with HW or Airarms :yes:, I've an untuned HW80 K it give's a slight twang but by Bugger is it Accurate in the right hands,

I've also got a Prosport and feel that when it get's it's left hand stock it will be even more Accurate :icon_eek::yes:

atvb Daz 7.

Daz that HW80k was tuned by my fair hands mate, if you strip it it will be polished inside, if it has started twanging give it a strip and regrease as its bedding in and she'll shoot as good as ever

Darryl

• Like 1

atvb Daz 7.

Daz that HW80k was tuned by my fair hands mate, if you strip it it will be polished inside, if it has started twanging give it a strip and regrease as its bedding in and she'll shoot as good as ever

Darryl

Its only a slight twang Darryl bud Compared to the Prosport You Tuned which is 100% Quieter, So the hw80 isn't really that bad it's

just You tuned the Prosport to an Excellent standard bud and to be honest it's like you said it just needs bedding in,

i'll see what it's like after 2 tins of H & N Have been through Her first.

atvb Daz 7.

Edited by Daz 7

They do have a little bit of twang compared to the pro sport daz, but its just part of their charm lol

Deffo Mate but it don't half bring a Smile to Your face when You Ring the Bell target out at 50 yards when other shooters are struggling to hit it

with their PCP's :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

atvb Daz 7.

• Like 1

What's up with the good old webley?

My shooting buddy has a longbow which we have lovingly tuned and tinkered with and dependant on the guts we put in (albeit some custom) it's an absolute darling.

It certainly ain't no turd!

Just thought I would throw something in to the mix and would appreciate some constructive and anti webley debate.

WH in my opinion are well if not over engineered but that is a good thing, can't fault the Germans.

But other brands of quality engineered rifles are available.

Just because somebody hasn't spent the time perfecting a certain service kit does not mean its not plausible.

• Like 2

Isn't that the Turkish version of the old Omega/ Elite, Moxy? I remember working on those back in the late 80's and early 90's and they were as good as anything else at the time when they were built in the UK. A proper quality product that put BSA's to shame.

I can't comment on their Turkish cousins though, as the Longbow's not a rifle that I've ever worked on.

Just to add... From what I can remember, they're pretty poor at FAC. Anything much over 12 ruined them. I could be wrong, long time ago!! :laugh::D

Edited by andyfr1968