What size bars on a Mews

KenKeeping

Thinking of changing the square mesh I have on the mews to bars.

I imagine its gonna be more hawk freindly and especialy feather freindly.

Also when the flight is added soon, I would like to consider using bars on that as well instead of the mesh I had planned on.

What diameter bars and what would be the ideal gap, for a Harris Hawk.

Is there any particular material that would be recomended to use for the bars?

And would it be a good idea to slip a pvc tube over them?

Thanks.

The only thing with broom handle's Grovesy is they can warp and twist and if 2 warp in opposite direction's it could leave a bigger gap..plastic or metal pipeing would be a beter option..imo.. :thumbs:

• Like 1

This is the stuff I have used in the past. cut it to length with the angle grinder, you'll need a decent 20mm auger bit to cut your holes in the wood frame....

Gapped mine 3" apart across the window, you may need it closer for smaller birds :thumbs:........

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CO20GslashPACK.html?source=froogle

I used broom handles on one of my flights I put them on last year and treated them,they still split and that was only after a year,so.I.wouldn't use broom handles again il just stick to my plastic pipe and netting over the wire mesh on the door,suppose it's down to personal choice and of course money,if ya can afford it go for plastic or metal pipe,after all a good bird isn't worth scrimping on.

I used broom handles on one of my flights I put them on last year and treated them,they still split and that was only after a year,so.I.wouldn't use broom handles again il just stick to my plastic pipe and netting over the wire mesh on the door,suppose it's down to personal choice and of course money,if ya can afford it go for plastic or metal pipe,after all a good bird isn't worth scrimping on.

My housing is set up for a Female Harris hawk.

2dce5ao.jpg

hvzeq0.jpg

Ime not realy that happy with the mess as it is, and I am adding a flight to the front soon.

I cringe everytime she lands in the mesh!

She will sharp destroy her tail on that mesh Ken..i would change it ASAP to bar's.. :thumbs:

(She will sharp destroy her tail on that mesh Ken..i would change it ASAP to bar's.. :thumbs:)

Yeh! I agree Millet Sir!

My thoughts exactly, but it was a quick conversion to get the housing done to get her away from where she was!

She is pretty calm so don't thrash about the mesh much at all.

Not to say that I havent had a few heart stopping occations when she arguse with Aladdin my Saluki mind.

Will be doing my best to upgrade to the bars very soon, as wall as the roof!