Picking up Money

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

£25, but I see it as a bonus to a great day working my dog. It's not about the money money money.

Of course the first thing is working your dog but its nice to be appreciated on the day too. When i was dishing out beating money it was £30......i just wouldn't ask anyone to come out for any less th

I don't do it for the money because to be honest i could make more doing other things. I see a days beating as a day away from it all having good craic with a bunch of mates and building up a few brow

I used to get a tenner for beating and £15 for picking up when i was younger. Didnt do it for the money just done it for the beaters day and the look on peoples faces when i turnt up with a scruffy lurcher ..... He was more obediant than most labs/spaniels.

• Like 1

As Mooch has said it is not about the money. If it were then there would be very few pickers up or even beaters. I prefer to work my dog than to shoot pheasants and would do it for nothing if it was a choice between working he dog or not working him....... oh and I get paid £20 on a 100 bird shoot and £30 on a 200 +

• Like 1

£30 + £5 for the dogs + as much game as i want, usually only take a brace home though.

I'd do it for nowt though, nothing better than getting out beating / picking up...you get to stand back and witness excellent shots and terrible misses from the guns :thumbs:

• Like 3

I know its not about the money but the dogs have to be fed and looked after and dog feed has gone up again and it will go up again soon the last time we had a rise was 6 years ago and it went up £1 Im not a charity

Best find another hobby mate, as there actually cutting beaters/pickers up money on some shoots now due to the recession!!.

90% of folk who pick up actually do it to give there dogs the work and they enjoy watching them working all day, they don't do it for the money.

• Like 1

I know its not about the money but the dogs have to be fed and looked after and dog feed has gone up again and it will go up again soon the last time we had a rise was 6 years ago and it went up £1 Im not a charity

Well sell your dogs and pack up then!! What did you get your lab or spaniel for?? To work them I'm guessing, if it makes YOU feel better then start walking up every Saturday instead of picking up, I know which your dog will prefere..

When I was keepering I had folk giving up £200 a day at there work to come out with there dogs, but I guess I was lucky being surrounded by true dog folk..

I suggest you go speak to the police about who ever is holding the gun to your head making you go!!

• Like 3

Hi

I beat every week on a local pheasant shoot last year and totally loved it . At no time was I doing it for the money. We got 25 quid per day and full sit down lunch and a brace or two to take home. My black lab is now 16 months and this is her first season in the beating line and I would do it for nothing. They could keep the lunches , money and the beaters day as long as I can work the dog every week.

You are definately in the wrong game if your after the money.

• Like 1