BSA ultra .22, whats everyones view on it?

Which one the Ultra or the Ultra SE (ie hokey cokey cocking system or simple bolt)?

The Ultra (non SE) is a great rifle let down by a poorly designed cocking/loading system. The Ultra itself is the height of compact accuracy, but the reloading/cocking is a faff, press switch in, catch probe, load pellet if using single shot, press bolt in, then advance other hand and activate the mmc (which despite their finger tip pressure claim usually requires a gurt pull back). Once you have done that you get to play with the tack driver. I had one from new and had it zeroed in and made it's first kill within 20 minutes. The compact nature if the stock means that if you have larger hands (like me), it is easier to fit a bipod backwards so the legs fold along the stock!

It is a hellishly accurate gun, just the loading system. I liked mine so much we sold it back to the shop we bought it from and bought a secondhand Super 10 within 3 weeks instead... Some people love the loading/cocking, some people hate it, hence the SE Ultra now has a bolt!

The other bad point about it is the low shot count, around 30-40 is not uncommon...

Edited by secretagentmole

I have one fitted with the longer Scorpion air cylinder and a R10 barrel shroud topped of with the VC moderator its very accurate and the shot count is about 75. the only problem I have had was myselfs fault when hurrying to load and fire not closing the pellet probe which usually jams a pellet half out the magazine making it a *&^+ to remove.

edited spelling mistake

Edited by Tron

Many thanks for your opinions guys. I put a deposit on it because it's light and small And on my permission theres loads of barbwire fences. An elephant trying to climb a fence is hard enough without carrying a large rifle. so it suits me. And I thpught of getting a .22 for a change as i've only ever used a .177.

Once again thanks for your opinions

regards

shadow_sniper

Best light weight pcp by far in my opinion if your after a compact hunter that is light, accurate and an all rounder that will cope with Hunting, hft or ft situations.

The accuracy of one will match a £1600 rifle at 27 yards and it has been proven.

If tested I'd say even further.

This accuracy is 1 pellet hole size with 5 shots witnessed by many members from this section in Nottingham earlier this year.

In .177 your looking at just over 30 shots and just over 40 in .22 from a 230 bar fill which for me is ample.

For the best results simply zero / check zero and then refill to 190 bar (sweet spot) where you will get 5 shots - ish less but better consistency if shooting at longer ranges.

With 25 / 26 in .177 and 35 / 36 in .22 that for me is a full days / nights hunting if your after rabbits unless your permission is like watership down.

For rats on a good permission you may need to refill from a pump or bottle but then as your at a closer range you would fill to 230 initially anyway gaining more shots.

The cocking system for me is no problem what so ever, infact I quite like it, but i can understand other peoples opinions and respect them.

The barrels of the 3 or 4 I've owned have all liked either bisley magnums or jsb exact pellets. If you have a .177 then I would say try jsb Exacts at 4.53mm. That's what I used in Nottingham for the witnessed test.

Hope this helps.

Si.

Edited by zini
  • Like 2

I matched AR177 with his air ranger and my BSA ultra unregged both in .177 on the hft course at the meet last weekend I think this shows how accurate the ultra barrel is £300 compared to £1000

I was having a bad morning!! :icon_redface: and it only cost me 700 :thumbs: but yes the ultras are as accurate as anything else costing twice the money!

I matched AR177 with his air ranger and my BSA ultra unregged both in .177 on the hft course at the meet last weekend I think this shows how accurate the ultra barrel is £300 compared to £1000

I was having a bad morning!! :icon_redface: and it only cost me 700 :thumbs: but yes the ultras are as accurate as anything else costing twice the money!

Still twice the price :p but if you find that you still have that superten by the next meet and not using it enough to justify having it I may make you an offer I liked the look of that ;)

• Like 1