help with kits

New to ferrets used to go out years ago with dad have couple whippets wanted to start the ferrets again with my kids . I got 2 hobs even at there age 4 months there super keen but every time i go to pick them back up they do everythin 2 bite the hand of me asked advice of 2 different people and got 2 completly different answers 1 said small tap on nose the other said that worse thing 2 do just give it time and will grow out of it. Thanks

Hey flipper, we've all been there, just make sure you handle them as often as you can pal, the time you put in with them now will pay dividends further down the line.

I like to just rough mine up as much as possible while they are young and believe me, now is the time to be taking the odd nip off a Hob ferret. As for punishing it for biting, well I know some people flick/pinch the noses but personally I have never needed to do this, each to their own I suppose. Give it a try by all means, see if they think twice after taking a flick/pinch.

My advice would be to just get them handled everyday and I'm sure they will come round for you mate. Whatever you do, don't let it get get to a point where your afraid to handle them or you won't be able to anything with them at all and will probably want to get shut of them.

Get them out, get them handled and good luck :thumbs:

I had that problem a few weeks ago and I was on the brink of getting rid but I had numerous people tell me to just handle it as much as possible Eventially after handling and getting bit after a week the ferret just stopped! Just keep handling them mate trust me it will be worth it. Good luck mate atb.

put some vinagar on your hands ,if they nip they soon learn that fingers dont taste nice ,also let go on the floor and gently pick them up again ,do this a few times per day so their used to being picked up (not just handled )............jim

• Like 1

Agree with above.

I've just got kits this year for the 1st time since i was a boy and they're great...never bit me or the kids once. Since getting them we've been constantly handling them so they're well used to it and are really friendly. On top of handling them i'm always putting my fingers through the mesh and they come and sniff and play bite but never sink their teeth in. They even stand there while i rub their chins would you believe? They're very friendly creatures when handled regulary.

I'm not so sure about hitting them if they bite. They're not as intelligent as dogs and i don't hink they have the intellence to associate biting with a flick on the nose I may be wrong though as i don't have enough experience with them.

Just handle them as much as possible mate and take the odd nip if need be :thumbs:

put some vinagar on your hands ,if they nip they soon learn that fingers dont taste nice ,also let go on the floor and gently pick them up again ,do this a few times per day so their used to being picked up (not just handled )............jim

thanks will try that with the amount of bite holes the viniger stinging should take my mind of it lol. But wont be complaining if it works thanks flipper

if your up for gettn a few bites offer them your knuckle and when they bite shove your knuckle a bit further in.. it dosent hurt them but after a few times they stop biting ...

couldnt hurt anymore than what im gettn already i'll give it a blast cheers flipper

Malc1 of here showed me a good tip when i picked my jill kit up of him and it works sorted mine anyway mine handle brilliant. He showed me how to scruff them when they nip easy really when they still young. But my young hob was a bit nippy at the age of your kits and he grown out of it now through handlin the more time spent definetly pays of . They be ok in the end mate