Fox snares, buy or build...?

Hello all..., I'm not looking for recommendations or suppliers of any kind but I was wondering what the most popular method is of obtaining fox snares...I was curios about what percentage of snare users make there own in preference to the commercially available offerings, also your reasons for your preferred type and the things that influence your decision to buy or build.....atb

That's a good reply., so your decision to buy was based upon the time & expence of making your own , thankyou :)

It was yes!!

by the time you buy what you need to make them and then sit down to assemble them properly it's far easier to find well made one's from a reliable supplier,

that way you can be out and about on your land :thumbs:

• Like 1

i find that i would always endevour to make my own snares having tried various shop bought snares that were poorly manufactured , i was looking to have a snare that was quick to make and effective closing fast and doing what it was designed for catching fox . i have used a number of eyelets and various lenghts of cable in this quest and still continue to devise new methods its all part of the fun. :yes: quality and performance are paramount to me :thumbs:

• Like 2

i find that i would always endevour to make my own snares having tried various shop bought snares that were poorly manufactured , i was looking to have a snare that was quick to make and effective closing fast and doing what it was designed for catching fox . i have used a number of eyelets and various lenghts of cable in this quest and still continue to devise new methods its all part of the fun. :yes: quality and performance are paramount to me :thumbs:

there are some poor snares out there in gun shops,game supplies and field sports outlets colin as you know,, i get by with what i can make but i find the only use of the others is the wire to cut up and use on ground anchors ;)

i find that i cannot buy the quality of snares that i make myself , and that ive then got the chioce of how long i make them whot type of lock i use and the chioce of hard or soft wire

we dont use locks? nice to make your own once you know a good snare,buyin pro made snares from a good snareman is a lesson that will put newcomers on track to knowing good from bad a bit of advice also helps beginers and gives insight to manufacture,learn from someone who knows is my advice to newcomers its not rocket science but learning the hangmans trade should be done outside the noose :thumbs:
  • Like 1

You are right in what you say but " locks" is a generic term mate, it's used to describe that vital component of the snare that allows firing & closing of the snare loop...there are of dozens of different types of "locks" available and they come as relaxing or non relaxing depending on the users requirements and state ( or goverment ) law so to be illegal in the uk a snare would have to be built using a non relaxing lock....in brief, just because there described as being a "lock" it doesn't always mean there capable of locking.hope this helps clear up any confusion.....Atb

• Like 1

You are right in what you say but " locks" is a generic term mate, it's used to describe that vital component of the snare that allows firing & closing of the snare loop...there are of dozens of different types of "locks" available and they come as relaxing or non relaxing depending on the users requirements and state ( or goverment ) law so to be illegal in the uk a snare would have to be built using a non relaxing lock....in brief, just because there described as being a "lock" it doesn't always mean there capable of locking.hope this helps clear up any confusion.....Atb

you knows it :thumbs: i can see i was answering out of context,you cleared it,didnt want aarons original link and and talk of locks to confuse the guy askin about snares as locks in traditional form are illegal in uk and he is in uk,thats why i advised woodga its all done legal,a newbie aint gonna make correct angles ect,there attempt will likley end up a bent locking lock not a relaxing type.its obvious generic terms but not to newbies considerin to buy or make.a lock is a lock but a hamburger aint ham,so to a newbie a lock will mean lock,relaxalock is like hamburger has lock in the name but relax in action,im so un-generic :laugh: not many will have made the perfect snare without seein the real mc'coys,i snared foxes before with wires you would cringe at but with woodga's i felt spoilt,now i know em i can make em myself,but without seeing em you would struggle with dimensions ect,for a few pound you buy from a quality maker and you will miss a lot of pitfalls and less risk of confusion,i thinks woodgas got it pretty well covered....fookin mouse on floor of bedroom he just ran under door and sat in front of me,sticky board tomorrow :laugh: