Lamping red tail

daz280597

I tried my male harris last season on the lamp and he just didnt get it ! i was gutted because there was a few squaters about and he just kept looking around and not at the point of impact on the beam ! only twice i took him i gave up after the second time,maybe il give it another bash soon you never know,at least i can go out on my own then insted of relying on lads to tag along to do a bit of ferreting.. :thumbs:

Feed him in the dark with a head torch mate, throw a chick or whatever onto the ground, then back away slowly then hold another morsel on your glove and call him to you(obviously lighting the food up with the head torch) then in the beam gradually increase the distance that you throw the food and walk back with the food on the glove, that is how I trained my female and she took to it straight away, if she missed the rabbit (which was not very often) I could recall her from a long way simply by shining the head torch onto the glove, give it a go mate he will get it in the end.

Top condition (Fit) 2lb 10oz day and 3lb to 3lb 10oz night.

Is correct mate 2 lb 10 oz her flying wrigt of a day and 3 lb10oz when you fly of a night or have I read this wrong

Typo mate should say 3lb at night

6 oz is alot of difference with a red !!!

• 2 weeks later...

Got my little fella out tonight learning the ropes in the local field near me,hes comming to the glove by torch light prob around 20 yds and hes hit the dummy bunny a good few times,first few trys he was dropping a little to short and then a little too much,but after a few goes SPOT ON...let the lamping commence next week :thumbs: ...i shall keep you updated guys "i cant wait now" :boogy:

Got my little fella out tonight learning the ropes in the local field near me,hes comming to the glove by torch light prob around 20 yds and hes hit the dummy bunny a good few times,first few trys he was dropping a little to short and then a little too much,but after a few goes SPOT ON...let the lamping commence next week :thumbs: ...i shall keep you updated guys "i cant wait now" :boogy:

Nice one dude, first one he gets there will be no looking back, a little trick I discovered,if you have a bunny making for a hedge, say left to right for instance, lead him with the beam as if you were shooting him with a shotgun,I found my female Harris would always get in front better than if I just kept the beam on him,you might not need to but its worth a tryif you find he is a little short, not too much though, a couple of inches is enough, the bird can see the rabbit fine, best of luck mate and yes keep us posted. :thumbs: