Stoats with Fenns

I catch a lot of squirrels and a few rats with tunnel traps and Mk4 Fenn traps but what's the best way of catching stoats and weasels? Baiting the tunnels with flesh? Its for trapping on two pheasant shoots where they have been seen.

i make a false tunnel with a couple of bricks and slate on top block 1 end in the blocked end make a nest and put a few eggs (unbroken) in the nest then infron set your trap its a cert way to catch them ,all the best MAKE SURE YOU BUT TWIGS ON THE OPEN END TO MAKE LIKE BARS SO YOU DONT CATCH NONE TARGET SPECIES!!!!!!!!

As mally says pykie. Around here a lot of traps are baited being on the open moor but where you have hedges, walls, ditches etc "run throughs" are probably best.

A bridge trap is lethal if you put a plank the width of the trap over a stream/ditch etc, and cover the trap with a mesh tunnel, to keep the birds out.

I used to run a trap line of around 50- 60 fenns, in natural and made-up sites.... aim for likely runways, walls, hedges, drains, stone piles, bases of big trees(in woodland), corners of woodland, round the pen edges, alongside water courses, and every other likely looking place.

Some of the most deadly are the rail traps, fenn traps placed on planks crossing burns or drains, especially adjacent to walls, fences etc where the mustelids run. Cover trap with mesh, and restrict entry with wires according to legislation, and to keep out game birds, nail the ring to the plank. Could also chisel out a piece on the plank for the trap to sit into, keeps it firmly in position.

If you get the place well covered you may be amazed by the numbers of stoats and weasels you catch.

If you need advice on making tunnels out of natural materials, or wooden tunnels drop me a PM. You can bait single entry tunnels with small pieces of rabbit/game etc through the winter, works well. If run-through tunnels, they will catch regardless if sited correctly (same with dead enders). If you dont catch in a tunnel within week or two, move it a bit, even a small distance could bring quick results as they use the same runs and follow routes for reasons only they know, as some sites seem grand, but never catch, move a bit, and you get regular takes, eventually you will have a network of catching traps, keeping numbers on the estate to a level that causes only small ammount of damage to game and wild bird stocks.

• Like 1

I have found that setting two Fenns under a tunnel with about 4" between and leaving a bit of meat like Rabbit leg or the best thing is a couple of mice between. Then cover completely with sticks and twings and leave a small entry hole at each end, rub some meat on the ground to lead them in!

Place anywhere they are seen!

It usually picks them off fairly quickly!