which night vision

My mate picked up a mint con, unused he said, ns50 secondhand for 260 yesterday mate. The other option is the other add ons , can't think what its called. Slightly cheaper than the ns50. But like its been said, with nv you pay for what you get. The ns50 is a lot of kit for the money. Went out lastnight with full moon, no clouds and the rabbits didn't have a care in the world. Easy see upto 100 yrds with it

• Like 1

yeh £300 sounds ok, wasnt meanin like £50 ha, il keep my eyes open for the ns50 looks good with the screen mounted, the one i was told about is a pulsar challenger with dsa it attaches onto the eye piece of the scope around £285, if you know of any being sold try n let me know id appreciate it, cheers.

acouple of pointers to the general night vision scene.

gen 1, will need IR illuminasion, as will camera NV stuff.

with intencifier tubes the older models have a slight poi shift when they face a curtain compas direction, although theyve suposed to have sorted that a couple 5 year back.

electrostatic protection stops the wandering noise dots that can take your eye from time to time.

auto gain control or overlight protection oftenneeds clarifying because on a gen 1 its usualy just a voltage halver and not a proper auto gain/shut down that the gen 2 or above adertise, so its acase of asking what it actualy does and save the email for returns should it not be what they said.

gen 2 is pritty much like you'd get with a gen 1 with good IR illuminasion. but...at twice or more the cost.

gen 3 if you have that kind of cash, oooooo yehh get one lol.

the old whistleing neeeeeeeeeeeeee-uneeeeeeeeee noise is in the past two, its an or cheep unit that whistles, it can and dose get on your tits sometimes.(avoid if you have tinitus).

the camera stuff..lower the lux rating the better usualy, but dont get fooled by 'sends up', it basically slows the ;shutter speed; right down, meaning if anything moves you'll not knowbecause it'llbethat blurred it wont show up, great for fake ghosty shots though.

regaurding IR sourses verses the intencifier stuff, cameras are generally worse for ware in comparison.. so get a brighter IR sourse.

(0.1 lux is very rubbish.. some 0,01 lux will work with brighter IR so 0.001 lux in colour is very good, but nice if it'll set up in BW mode to 0.001lux.)

but, gen 1 verses digital camera stuff, i'd say pound for pound get the digital, it doesnt blow when an accidental light sourse apears, but..failing the price thing and just being carful a gen 1 is better than a poke in the eye for sure lol...

try ebay, theres Beleruse 'russian' gear about cheeper than your local sourses(for dedicated scopes), and dont be fooled by the 'buy american its better' cr@p', its a lie, the american junk is the B grade russian gear with a shiney USA badge on, or, at least from what i've seen and exsperienced. there shouldnt be any burns on the screenat all.. theyre B grade or C grade. a little dirt around the outside edge isnt so bad, and probably is as they advertise, because of the manufacturing process, so unavoidable.

theres a front add on and a rear add on, the rear is most comman but you will have to move your scope forward to allow for the uop to 6 inch of intencifier housing and eye peace, the ones that go on the front can be tricky to get on with slight shifts in poi..uness theyve actually sorted a desent housing in last 5 year.

all inall, for a budget set up the cam and screen with a 12v battery off ebay seems to be winning for cost. about 100-150 quid for a set up and 50 quid for a cheepo not so hot recorder device.

the wakos cameras are a a favourate for quite a few but theycome in at 100 quid or more for the basic models, but apparently pick ir better, something to bare in mind with all add on systems is, theyre a lot darker through the scope than free held on there own, quite a few people have had kittens because 'it dont work through my scope', its get a brighter iluminator.

remember though, the higher the mag, the les in veiw, and the darker it will be. and dont forget the nearest focus detail, 10 yards is barely on the nearest ratting range, so a 20 yard minimum focus is a wee bit too far away.

a paralex adjustable scope does help to focus...but tis not always the be-all..

a heads up on the cctv or board camera gear is you'll probably need the osd menu board to waz up the contrast etc to get a very nice night cam..on the auto day night setting some work some need setting up.(the ones that do properly day night auto, can be tweeked further, but remember when they switch to day theyll have a blown out white image untill you reset the contrast and other modes.

end of the day, regaurding light gethering...ffff-without ir you'll need gen 2 or above, used with IR camera or gen1, after all can you see in the dark? no? you can with one of these! lol.

important to know, if you buy disposable batteries it'll cost more ethan the intencifier unit did in its natural 1000 hour life cycle, but..heres a good but, for rechargeables it is really important to match the rechargeable voltage and performance on some units, because they amp up the volts into the hunf=dreds andthousands to run the tube, if you just put another 0.1 volt in there at the battery end, it coupld meen a few more hundreds of volts accross the tube..and pop it goes prematurly.(some have better regulator curcuits than others).

and...i've had a few things that durecell batteries just dont like so dont be suprised at that.

Edited by ghillies

I have a gen i yukon sight i have made a night vision like ns50 with a cheap camera ,monitor and battery .payed a bit for ir light ,but still less than a hundred quid and the homemade sight is a lot better than a gen 1 scope .So I think the ns50 has to be ok for a air gun.You can just clip the ns50 on gun as it gets dark ,to have a day night scope costs 1000s.

Don't bother with the pulsar challenger they're no good unless you have a good ir illiminator and even then they're not that great if you want good night vision you have to spend a LOT more than £300 I have had loads of different ones pulsar yukons paladin just to mention a few great for rats at 10 yards but no good for owt else stick to the good old lamp and battery IMO