Re-homing 8 month old pup

Thanks for the decent messages here, and everyone who has offered to take the pup on.

I think i've got a good home for Ozzy not far from me, where he'll be given a chance to be the great dog i'm sure he'll be in the future.

Gutted isn't the word, hope things work out for the little guy

He would fit in quite happily here on the farm but if I brought home another dog I'd be living outside myself :laugh:

Good honest post pal hope you rehome him somewhere and with someone great

Atb JD :thumbs:

I was in a similer position with a dog i had,to be fair he never snapped at me or the family but did to strangers.I had him pts and don't regret it.Its my view that a dog that guards it food is being dominant and a dog that bites the hand that feeds it is a bad un.

I have to agree with you on this one,

Who ever has him make sure they have descent liability insurance, though doubt it would be valid/wont be able to get covered if he had a history of aggresion.

Bloody irresponsible in my opinion, and you will only have yourself to blame if it bites some kid in the face, all dogs have the potential to bite, thats what every dog owner has to live with, you shouldnt live with its probably going to bite and does so on a regular basis! Its just a dog, do the right thing, have it put to sleep.

Theres a limit to what chances you can give a dog, if its done it once (or more in this case!) Its a lot more likely to do it again.

Just my opinion and hope it didnt cause too much offence but thats what these forums are here for. (voicing your opinion not causing offence)

Lovely looking dog though!

No offence taken mate. Of course it's something i've considered in the last few weeks.

It's just that i don't think i've given the pup as good a chance as he deserves. In honesty i wanted a mooching dog, take a few rabbits here and there, but also be a companion and family pet. I've had a beddy whippet and a terrier over the years that fitted that bill perfectly, so maybe naively thought it would be that easy again.

It became clear over the months that Ozzy just wasn't that kind of dog, he's far too highly driven, and although he's been 90% great, i can tell he's not happy in the house and he's just not a people dog, he really comes alive around other dogs and when he's out in the countryside.

I don't think i'm being 'bloody irresponsible' for giving the dog an opportunity to have a life in an environment more suited to his needs, if that doesn't work out then yeah, i guess it would be time to think again.

I've only ever wanted the best for the dog, and have given him the best possible start over these 6 months.

I'm devastated i really am, and a lot, if not all of the guys on this site would i think feel the same so i'm not ashamed to admit it.

Ok, it's 'just a dog', but it's still not easy...

• Like 1

Never an easy descision mate and my remark of just a dog sounds very flippant I suppose but true never the less.

I would consider myself untimately resposible though if the dog ever did cause harm to anyone.

But you know the dog better than me and its still young, but showing aggression at such a young age would worry me slightly, and there alway would be much more potential for further things happening in the future, if its done it once it a lot easier for it to do it again.

But I hope I eat my words mate and the dog turns out a settled level dog.

Can I ask if you just took it to a normal vets? As a proper running dogs vets could easily spot something a normal one didnt see.

But I think your making the right descision getting it away from your family.

I wouldn't normally comment on this type of thread as without seeing the dog in its home environment it is impossible to offer a valid opinion, but, a highly driven, excitable young male dog, in an environment that is very fluid, people constantly coming and going, too much stimulus of the wrong kind from people who don't necessarily understand a dog's needs, is always a risk.

The family pet dogs which succeed in such environments are those with zero drive of any sort. They are very placid, most are neutered young, before those hormones start kicking in. It is easy to forget that young male animals of all kinds need stable, sensible lives, with firm rules in place from day one. Unfortunately, many people just don't understand the necessity of a well structured 'pack' (family) where the law is laid down and adhered to all the time, not just when the 'boss' is at home.

From what I've read, Satan's home is not that at all, through no fault of his own, and I believe that he's right in giving the dog a chance in a situation where it's needs can be properly met, PROVIDING the dog is going to someone who understands all of the above and more importantly, can channel that dog's energy and drive along the right road without brutality or recourse to physical punishment. That would be the last straw for this sort of dog.

• Like 1

i sincerely hope you can rehome him so you can keep in contact and see his progress during his working life................

there are alot of shite on when people rehome there tykes for stupid reasons ..............................but i can see your reason and can see you done everything possible for keeping him..........hope that you and the dog gets a suitable home for him................atb

• 4 weeks later...