Re-homing 8 month old pup

I write this message with a heavy heart, and i'm gutted to have to do so.

I'm looking for a new home for my dog Ozzy, and 8 month old wheaton greyhound x beddy whippet.

I've had Ozzy since he was 8 weeks old and he's a great dog in many ways - his recall is 90 % there, he's great with other dogs, housetrained, good in a crate, doesn't bark, travels fine in the car, knows all basic commands.

Unfortunately he has had issues with food aggression, i've sought help and advice from numerous people and have worked on this for 4 months, he's now fine around food in his bowl but still guards bones/high value bits of meat (he's fed raw).

Ozzy has also snapped a couple of times at me, my wife and most recently a couple of other friends and family, for no particular reason, just when getting stroked.

I've had him at a vet who has given him a clean bill of health so he's not in pain, and a couple of dog trainers seem to be at a loss as to why he's doing this, we've followed all their advice, they don't think it's a dominance issue as 99% of the time he's fine and knows his place in the house.

One trainer has said that our lifestyle doesn't help, i travel a lot and have a big family, so Ozzy is constantly in different environments and around different people all the time.

The dog trainers i've spoken too feel he's not a lost cause by any means but think he would be much better suited to a genuine working home, with an experienced owner who has the time and patience to dedicate to him.

I'm not looking for any money for him, i just want him to go to a good, loving, home, not an idiot 18 year old who will use him as a 'tool'.

Like i've mentioned, i'm genuinely heartbroken to be writing this message, but i just want what's best for Ozzy.

Please pm me for any more info, or if you want to speak on the phone.

I'm based in Leeds, West Yorkshire.

Thanks,

Al

oz3n.jpg

oz2k.jpg

HI MATE, THIS MIGHT SOUND DAFT AS IT LOOKS LIKE YOU HAVE TRIED EVERYTHING TO SORT OZZY OUT BUT DID THE VET NOT SUGEST HAVING HIM (DOCTORED), I KNOW IT SEEMS DRASTIC BUT IT REALLY DOES CALM DOGS DOWN AND IF YOU DO WORK OZZY IT WONT AFFECT HIS PERFORMANCE AT ALL, I REALLY HOPE EVERYTHING TURNS OUT WELL FOR YOU AND OZZY, ATB.

where you from might be intrested i your in scotland will be but england i cant cause of work comitments but i have a 7month wheaton x so that might bring him along and help he would have a working home as am a keeper

editted sorry just seen your froms leeds

Edited by hunter1995

I was in a similer position with a dog i had,to be fair he never snapped at me or the family but did to strangers.I had him pts and don't regret it.Its my view that a dog that guards it food is being dominant and a dog that bites the hand that feeds it is a bad un.

• Like 4

I had a terrier bitch given to me that was very much like that! the more work i gave her the more settled she became, her owner told me they couldnt touch her a one time because she would and did bite.

She came to me via donnal who does the dog transport on here and even he had a nip or two, After a few weeks she was in the house on my 8 year old daughters lap being fussed and never had any other problems" I do think she was frustrated buy not getting any work or hunting witch she needed.

I hope your dog gets the work he needs and im sure in time he will calm down..

• Like 2

dont neutre the dog neutering is a lazy way out,working the dog hard is is no good not for a 8 month old dog,a patient home with no kids and a sensable amount of time in the field with an understanding owner who in another 8 months can then run the legs off it and let its teeth get plenty of use,,neutering in my mind is only disfiguring and handy capping a dog only neutre if youou are prepred to keep the dog as it will be almost impossable to find it a working home once the op is done.