Tell me about Pure Salukis

Alright lads, I'd like to hear the good the bad and the ugly. :thumbs:

I'm in the tentative process of -thinking- about adding a pup. And I am very interested in the pure salukis.

We do a bit of this and that- ferreting, mooching, walk up, bit of lamping. Some smaller fields, some big ones. The ground here is rough and hard as iron, and although the whippet has decent feet the ground can be tough on them. So feet like iron is a must, and I have heard that salukis do have very good feet.

Could a pure saluki run land both big and small, run the lamp, mooch, ferret and above all stand up to super tough ground?

Would love to hear opinions from people who have experience running pure salukis.

Thanks for the input Smart Dog, I would say that 90% of my permission is tough ground because 90% of ground here is tough! The tough land holds game galore, I would rather find a dog that can cope than bypass it!

Saluki X are not readily available here [or I would have one in a flash], and most fast running dogs [what I'm after] are heavily greyhound influenced, but also prone to injury. The other option is deerhoundX, but personally deerhoundx have never really tickled my fancy- nothing against their abilities, just not what I'm after.

I also just have a general interest in the saluki, and just want to know if it could be utilised in a variety of ways, or if it is strictly a one trick pony. I would be happy with a dog that had a specific area of talent but could also be use in other areas the way that my whippet is. She most definitely shines at ferreting but also has a decent crack at lamping, mooching, etc.

Thanks again for your input. :yes:

Edited by Coneytrappr

got a first x saluki whippet here only 14 months but showing great promise on different types of terrain loads of stamina and early pace you obviously like the saluki and the whippet so utilise the merits of both breeds and find a GENUINE half x of that breeding mines levelled out at 23 1/2 tts so ideal size for the only quarry we can run legally now :hmm: sounds like you got a nice piece of ground good luck with finding the right dog to run it atb taffey forgot to add my first x is got the making of being a very good dog for working with the ferrets / nets really steady round sets but switches on when the action starts

Edited by taffey

Thanks Taffey, to be honest a salxwhippet would be one of my first choices, have never heard anything bad about them about them and the idea of a whippet with a bit more leg and stamina for longer runs really tickles my fancy. Yours sounds spot on! But, and it is a big but, no one here breeds them! I'm not in the UK and very very few people use salukiX here, it is easier to get a purebred than a X. Not many collieX around either.

I enjoy the ground I hunt, tough but rewarding.

Good luck with your pup this upcoming season, sounds a grand little beast. :thumbs:

THE BITCH IN MY PROFILE PIC IS A 1/2 SALUKI X 1/2 WHIPPET/GREYHOUND, SHE HAS SUPERB FEET AND CAN RUN SMALL FIELDS OR LARGE OPEN FENS, SHE HAS SUPERB SPEED AND STAMINA TO LAST ALL DAY, GREAT DAY TIME BITCH AND VERY VERY GOOD ON THE LAMP, IF I WAS YOU I WOULD DEFFINATELY PUT MYSELF OUT AND GET A GOOD SALUKI CROSS FROM SOMEWHERE, IT WILL BE WELL WORTH THE EFFORT IN THE END MATE. ATB.

Do your home work on salukis first , a good working line is capable of everything you ask but they are not a breed that suits everyone. They can be very stubborn and once in hunting mode will hunt everything that moves often running many of one slip. If you find a good one you will be hooked and not go to any other breed atb in your search

Edited by desertbred