New to Ratting and looking for advice or help/assistance in Sussex

Olly Rutt

Hi everyone,

I'm still new to the forum after checking out posts for a while as a non member and finally signed up.

I've been shooting for a number of years, mainly pest shooting but have been looking into moving onto deer in the coming year.

The reason for this post is that I recently rescued a Jack Russell X to keep my mastiff X staffy company (they are both in my profile picture) and she has shown a lot of desire to chase pretty much anything that moves and really keen to get her head in holes and sniff about etc.

I've never worked dogs before and would like to try her (and the staffy too as he has caught a few rabbits and is very keen) with ratting but don't really know where to start and don't want to start off completely wrong or end up injuring either of them etc.

I've been looking and asking at a few places locally in East Sussex but no joy yet to anywhere that has rat problems (both the places I reguarly shoot have no rats what so ever) that will let me come and work the dogs.

What I'm after is any advice (in person/email/phone) anyone that has permissions that would be willing to let me come along and help (with or without my dogs) or when I find somewhere, someone who would come and show me where to start.

I appreciate all help and comments and look forward to your replies.

Olly