• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

i make knives under a tenner "reddawn" has one here waiting to be pictured , we used to be proud of british made stuff and pay a little more for knowing it was made well and the money stayed in the co

or get one custom made from a british bladesmith knife maker !! the blades on both are the same steel i use alot ! and it can be made to measure to fit your hand and budget ! just an idea .

I have bought a couple of blades of matt for a fiver ..... Can't buy a Stanley for that ! And they are quality blades put a new edge on them no problem .

Posted Images

im really sorry to the guy with the hoof knife i never intended to hyjack your post !

see this is the problem guys to make them really cheap something has got to give as that cant be materials its got to be my labour and im working for bugger all as it is , the abrasive belts for my grinder are £4 each and you would be amased how long they dont last , and thats the super dooper ceramics that last longer , then my polishing belts start at £19 each , they last a little longer but are delicate as hell , spike killed one totaly by accident the other day profiling a knife here , brand new ........... binned .

so materials and consumables have to be at a level im working for under minimum wage and iv got to post it yet , and if its late or posty loses it im out of pocket or you guys rightly so get anoyed/concerned you have been coned etc , so i pay extra for recorded delivery , they still go missing tho.

how do i do it ?

the only idea i have is to use stainless so i dont have to handle it and make a sheath from something for about 20p. tried that but you guys never bought many of the stainles blades and the steel is expensive and harder to work ,

so im sort of stuck .

maybe we should do a poll and ask what is a an apropriate price for an everyday rabbit gutter ?

the more i understand the budget and duties the better i can tailor it , il worn you tho im not going to stop makeing the nice knives that cost what they cost ! :)

hi midnight no need to apologise and you certainly have a skill i could only dream of .

i have been and got an opinel no6 carbon knife today and it was fine for opening the stomach but i would like to have a knife that i can use to take the legs and head off and just use 1 knife to do the lot.

what sort of price would i be looking at midnight for a knife that would do the lot as the wife isnt keen on me using the carving knife :D

i can make to a budget with in means in terms of materials , send me a pm and we can look at all the details . i will say that next week will see modest priced hunting knive as this week its all pretty much been high end knives here .

all the best , matt

hi midnight no need to apologise and you certainly have a skill i could only dream of .

i have been and got an opinel no6 carbon knife today and it was fine for opening the stomach but i would like to have a knife that i can use to take the legs and head off and just use 1 knife to do the lot.

what sort of price would i be looking at midnight for a knife that would do the lot as the wife isnt keen on me using the carving knife :D

You can do a rabbit with an opinel easy, snap the leg over the edge of something before you cut it off and the heads twist off a piece of piss, rough and ready but the jobs done. That's how I do them in the field if someone wants one.

• Like 1

thanks gnipper

the one i have it just seems the blades not long enough but i will give it another go

To do rabbits you only need a sharp blade its simple enough to nick the fur around the leg joints (back and front) and twist them off.

Same can de done to the heads once the skin is pulled back to reveal the neck.

You dont need an axe cleaver or monster knife.

I have dressed them out complete into 'joints' using a blade no longer than 2"

when i trained a s a keeper i was showed how to do it with out a knife using the teeth of the rabbit !!

i cant do it tho , ha

i know there is an obsession for small knives for rabbits but i like a larger knife capable of more as the situation arise , i want to be able to brest a pigeon , neck gut a deer or skin a fox all from the one feild knife .

before i trained as a keeper i did a full aprenticship as a butchers , we bopught from market live and went right through to plate , so maybe its down to that that i like a larger knife ?

A rabbit can be dressed using the smallest of blades with one single cut used, like Midnight i've witnessed the teeth method of making the first cut, never wanted too nor done it myself! Again, like Midnight, i'd always go for a bigger blade, no different for my preference for an average sized lurcher in the field, because i'd never keep a one trick pony, of any sort... :thumbs:

I likea larger knife too, I am also an ex butcher ( cannot stand blunt knives!!!!!!!!! Too much like hard work) and an ex keeper ( I often used a bigger blade as we had boar as regulars),

Now I use mainly a carbon steel blade with reindeer horn and ivy handle ( 10 cm blade) when shooting

And a set from matt for the falconry ( newly purchased, still virgin!!) which has a 2cm gutting blade and a despatch spike/ stillette.

Horses for courses but I would rather have a bit more length than be too short for the job lol.

( comments from the waidfrau are to be ignored lmao)

The quality of matts blanks/ blades finished knives are second to none IMHO . They will hold an edge!!!

Waidmannsheil.

i make knives under a tenner "reddawn" has one here waiting to be pictured , we used to be proud of british made stuff and pay a little more for knowing it was made well and the money stayed in the counrty it was produced in .

iv got a freebey to for "torchy" as he was saying that a cheap stainles knife he had was unbeatable in terms of edge and retention .

the more suport i can get the more i can make the more i make the cheaper they get !

i am working on something now that will give mora a run for its money, and will be from british steel and suplies and made by hand but at affordable prices so you dont have to worry about loosing it .

iv said it before for rabbit fellas a stainley knife with retractable blade and carpet blades(they are gut hook shaped) will take some beating you can get them anywhere under £10 .

my knifes, todate are not made for need more for want , and within that is the luxary of quality .

beleave me no body is more skint than me 2 years unemployed with no benifits , so i know its hard , but if you want nice stuff in life there is only two ways to get it i spose ?

as for advertising , i just dont have the £10k a year to cover it yet , one day tho i will .

thanks for the compliments about my knives , i stand behind them and hope they serve you all well .

il will stand a few country shows next year so maybe i can meet some of you, shake your hand , and maybe convince you all to stop buying the stuff from abroad ?

Well thats news to me,,,thanks very much for the offer mate :thumbs: but i wouldn,t worry about sending out freebeys ,they don,t pay the bills :victory:

A few folk have mentioned losing their knife in the field. Thats your main tool in any country activity, and should have priority care at all times. If you are that worried about losing a knife ( opinal ), super glue some strips of silver paper down either side of the handle, but really you shouldn't be losing your knife.

• Like 1