judging terriers/lurchers

never been one for judgeing up the lead my mates would`nt show in front of me or me them -- i`ve not judged a show in a few years now for a couple of reasons -- small entrys in shows being one and the other the poor standard of dogs being put in front of you ..and mardy sore losers .the day i had to stand at the back of my car and justify to someeone why his 23 show winning terrier only got reserve champion on the day was the day i gave it bollox --a lot of people come on here moaning about shows and judges - if they bug you that much dont go ... and stick your name up to judge a show its not an easy thing to step under them ropes for a few hours ... a few year back i went to show my terriers the lurcher judge failed to show although i`d never juged a lurcher show and with no one else willing to stand in faced with calling the show off i stepped i know my way round a lurcher i let the mrs show the terriers most people said i`d done a great job and thanked me and the mrs won the terriers -- some woman said to her your a cheat you only won the terriers because your old man was the lurcher judge -- funny folk these show people :D

Well, that was very good of you to step in, but there's no way you should have judged your own terriers: even if they were the best there on the day, it looks bad to all onlookers. If you hadn't been prepared to leave your dogs in the vehicle, you shouldn't have offered to judge. Just my opinion, but one I know that many will share.

He didn't, he said he judged the lurchers. :D

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I'm one of these extroverts who LOVES judging !! I must admit, I prefer judging Whippets, as there is a "standard" to work to, rather than with Lurchers, where it is simply the Judges preference ! Of

So what if a Judge has MANY friends in the show scene ? Should he/she not be allowed to judge ? Or should his/her integrety not be taken into consideration ?? There are Judges who would rather fall ou

I'd say it was a fairly regular occurance, and if it worries you so much; then just boycott those shows !   Cheers.

Posted Images

imo somebody you see once a week a few times a year is a not a friend so judge on. but surely it would make judging a true friends dog difficult . remember you could have seen these dogs run at full speed after prey how can a dog trotting up a ring compare. say what you will for a judges integrity some subconcious thoughts are sure to take over for the good or the bad of a dog being judge. how can that inside knowledge be taken away?

imo somebody you see once a week a few times a year is a not a friend so judge on. but surely it would make judging a true friends dog difficult . remember you could have seen these dogs run at full speed after prey how can a dog trotting up a ring compare. say what you will for a judges integrity some subconcious thoughts are sure to take over for the good or the bad of a dog being judge. how can that inside knowledge be taken away?

Thats a great point,if it is down to 2 dogs and ye know for a fact what one is capable of might just swing a judges decision

never been one for judgeing up the lead my mates would`nt show in front of me or me them -- i`ve not judged a show in a few years now for a couple of reasons -- small entrys in shows being one and the other the poor standard of dogs being put in front of you ..and mardy sore losers .the day i had to stand at the back of my car and justify to someeone why his 23 show winning terrier only got reserve champion on the day was the day i gave it bollox --a lot of people come on here moaning about shows and judges - if they bug you that much dont go ... and stick your name up to judge a show its not an easy thing to step under them ropes for a few hours ... a few year back i went to show my terriers the lurcher judge failed to show although i`d never juged a lurcher show and with no one else willing to stand in faced with calling the show off i stepped i know my way round a lurcher i let the mrs show the terriers most people said i`d done a great job and thanked me and the mrs won the terriers -- some woman said to her your a cheat you only won the terriers because your old man was the lurcher judge -- funny folk these show people :D

Well, that was very good of you to step in, but there's no way you should have judged your own terriers: even if they were the best there on the day, it looks bad to all onlookers. If you hadn't been prepared to leave your dogs in the vehicle, you shouldn't have offered to judge. Just my opinion, but one I know that many will share.

re read it before you put your ladder and high horse away :D :D i`d gone to show my terriers and stepped in to judge lurchers so they did`nt cancel the lurchers ...the mrs showed my terriers for me in the terrier show :tongue2: ---

He didn't, he said he judged the lurchers. :D

funny folk these show people :whistling:

I've got. A bag of red blue. And yellow. Rossets. Here any one. Wanting. One pm your address. And a photo. Of your mutt I'll send. You. One. No returns. If. It's the. Wrong. Colour. Though.

i`ve only got red ones and a few few 100 of them big fancy coloured ones :tongue2:

i entered a show with my pup on sunday,i won the dog pup class and in the final was up against a black 21" whippety type pup,about 6 months. The judge keeps small black dogs himself and it was his mate with the black pup. It won,i dont care but if you need a rossette that much,go buy one,lol. Everyone there couldnt believe the result,but thats showing for ya!

Shushycatcher the black whippety type was a 3/4 whippet 1/4 bedlington,owned by a friend of mine who only attends local shows,i believe the judge was from south wales! The pup is 9 months old and it's got good conformation and deserved to win. The young lad was so chuffed! He is not a trophy hunter ."Bad loser"pal.

I've got. A bag of red blue. And yellow. Rossets. Here any one. Wanting. One pm your address. And a photo. Of your mutt I'll send. You. One. No returns. If. It's the. Wrong. Colour. Though.

how did you get them , lol , you must've bought them off notty , yer dugs wudnae win any lol

i find its counter productive to stick a dog in when a friend is judging. as i would find it difficult to put up a dog of a friend. years ago i stepped in to judge a show last minute. after running my sweet old mother to show her jack russell. this russell was a tidy specemin indeed and to cut a long story short . she showed the dog after me asking her not to. and wasnt placed. to say she was livid is an understatement :laugh: :laugh: .

when you have been at the shows a few years if you keep good quality animals. you get your rosies you also make aquantances with the same sort. they use your dog . you take a pup of them. these produce tasty dogs. .. the dogs are top notch and hard to beat. the folk at the fell and moorland . local hunt all know you. the show folk know you. and this is what happens......

i walk up to the tent. and say alright tam. he says alright jim. who ye showing trusty or jade. i say trusty. i walk to the ring and say to the lad with the clipboard howdy pete . he says hi jim showing trusty i see . youve no chance . put a saddle on the fecker :laugh: :laugh: . then he takes my pound coin.

i walk over to show my dog. and boab says. he's looking well jim. hows your season been. blah blah. he checks all the dogs and then goes over to the fella with the clipboard and says. . third and points to one lad second and points to another. then says jims first with big trusty :icon_eek:

the terrierworld is a small place and if you have been around for decades. work and show everyone knows everyone :yes: . and even if you have one of the best made dogs and deserve your win. it not only looks shite. but feels a little shite also :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

names have been changed to save embarasment. :toast:

i once heard a fella with an ugly dog going on and on at the judge. why did you not pick my blitz. after a while the judge spun round at the drunk and said. becouse his legs are bent he has prick ears his backs to long his docks to short to be honest he's the ugliest fecker ive ever had the displeasure to judge. now feck off you anoying little pr1ck :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

i enjoy a day at the shows but dont show much now. and if i do its not serious. but for a short while i did get caught up in it :icon_redface: .