What quarry?

get yourself down your local police station and get their leaflet on safe and proper air rifle ownership, this gives you a comprehensive list of legal quarry. As for shooting a fox with an air rifle regardless of how close, i think it is both illegal and morraly wrong and would advise against even trying it :no:

Guest karlos

I think theres a list on the BASC website check it out main quarry for most people i'd say is rabbits, rats & woodies. Anyone telling you they droppped a fox with a legal limit air-rifle is either talking wet or threw the bloody gun at it .. wouldnt even attempt it as mole catcher said its morally wrong and its also against the law.

Helpful info from the Firearms Acts 1968-1997, Anti-Social Behaviour Act 2004 and BASC Code of Good Airgun Practice.... and Me!!!

Airguns: Facts and Figures

We recommend that you refrain from using them on live quarry other than the following: crows, rooks, jackdaws, magpies, jays, woodpigeon, collared doves, feral pigeons, brown rats, grey squirrels and rabbits.

It is illegal to buy so much as an airgun pellet until the age of 17.

It is illegal to use airguns anywhere except on private land with permission or on Public Target Ranges with Permission.

All animals and birds are protected by law. Pest species can only be killed by “authorised persons under a General Licience†– i.e. on private land with permission.

It is illegal to make a gift of an airgun or ammunition to anyone aged under 14.

A person under the age of fourteen can only legally handle an air gun if they are supervised by a person aged over 21 AT ALL TIMES. This would even apply in the home.

Air guns are limited to a muzzle velocity of 12 ft/lbs., less powerful than a cricket ball thrown by a teenager. Air guns above this power are subject to a firearms certificate. The same certificate and standards are applied to rifles and the UK’s licensing requirements are among the strictest in the world.

Air guns are treated as other more powerful firearms in the eyes of the law if they are misused. The penalties for possessing a loaded gun in a public place, or using one to threaten or injure people are severe. In extreme cases, criminals risk action by armed police response units

It is polite to thank the owner and occupier and to offer him something from the bag if you have shot any edible quarry. Take care of your edible quarry, store it in a cool place. Never waste it. Non-edible vermin quarry should be disposed of discreetly and very carefully and in a manner which will not create a health hazard. This is a legal requirement

Boy Scout Rule:-

Always leave your shoot in the condition in which you would like to find it. Make sure that you collect all your equipment and remove your (and others) rubbish from the site.

Hope this helps,

Quarry Identification -page 37-49

http://www.basc.org.uk/media/quarry_id_new.pdf

Guest little_lloyd

I know you an leagally take Rabbits,Squiirels,Corvids,pidgeons and rats but im sure Other birds like moorhens/mallard and pheasants can be taken inseason of course ;)

Why people shoot moorhens or coots i dont know????? Maybe they mak good eating :hmm:

Edited by little_lloyd
I know you an leagally take Rabbits,Squiirels,Corvids,pidgeons and rats but im sure Other birds like moorhens/mallard and pheasants can be taken inseason of course ;)

Why people shoot moorhens or coots i dont know????? Maybe they mak good eating :hmm:

because, they look like you ,you DAFT C-OOT.

In addition to the list above, I think someone mentioned pheasants as well. Just to concur really, I have in the past, in season with permission from the landowner, shot pheasants in the head with an airgun. I dont think an airgun would drop them with a bodyshot, just like it wouldnt drop most things.

neck shot for geese, ducks, pheasants, grouse , partridge, .... all dropped with no bother :yes:

this was shot where the head and neck join.... :yes: it wasnt going anywhere and the lurcher did a good water retrieve B) :whistle: