Working Borders

A few weeks ago I was looking for a Border stud on here for a nieghbour as there are none local to me. He has decided not to breed now but it set me wondering if many of you work pure borders and if so how good are they.

Also do any of you just work borders and no other breeds..............or is the Border another terrier that the Kennel Club has ruined

mines work below and above, theres good ones all over you just wont see them advertised or boasted about on here. ive had them for over 10 years woulnae own a differant breed of terrier

Same here mate. There's no point postin' about Borders on THL 'cos you'll only get negative comments from the anti Border brigade. :thumbs:

• Like 1

mines work below and above, theres good ones all over you just wont see them advertised or boasted about on here. ive had them for over 10 years woulnae own a differant breed of terrier

Same here mate. There's no point postin' about Borders on THL 'cos you'll only get negative comments from the anti Border brigade. :thumbs:

Let's get the positive ones posted and let people hear about the ones that are working and doing well.

• Like 2

I got two that are going to be entered this year most prob end of the year they will be present every Sunday out with the hounds having a look as they have been the last few times out and they are showing good signs they are flying In the cover just bunny bashing. Everyone you hear will say they are slow to come on but mine have been keen as hell since 6 months old. It's the first pair I have had always kept lakelands and Russell's and these have been no slower than all other terriers. Parents do the job. I won't be using mine for just ground work I want them to hunt and work all quarry above and below.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...

Same here mate. There's no point postin' about Borders on THL 'cos you'll only get negative comments from the anti Border brigade. thumbs.gif

Well what do you do with them then? Never seen anything on here from you about your working Borders?

• Like 1

I just work borders, got 2 young ones that will be getting entered this season.

I got two that are going to be entered this year most prob end of the year they will be present every Sunday out with the hounds having a look as they have been the last few times out and they are showing good signs they are flying In the cover just bunny bashing. Everyone you hear will say they are slow to come on but mine have been keen as hell since 6 months old. It's the first pair I have had always kept lakelands and Russell's and these have been no slower than all other terriers. Parents do the job. I won't be using mine for just ground work I want them to hunt and work all quarry above and below.

just want to know if you both got a working standard to which your dogs gotta reach?? if so what will be done if they dont make that standard??

The dogs have got to go out and do enough that keeps me happy, whether that's below ground, ratting or bushing. They might be branded useless by others or low standard but end of the day they only need to please me. If they didn't do what I asked with earthwork the bitch makes a great ratter and flusher. The dog at this stage hasn't shown much if anything really but but hel be 2 in April and he is a bit immature still. he is really steady and biddable so there will be a job for him somewhere.

I have 2, a 3 yr old bitch and a dog just turned 2. The bitch is a nice steady worker and more than willing to face charlie above and below ground. The dog is a bit immature still, and not as settled as i'd like yet but quite happy to face anything, a tad on the hard side but i'm more than pleased with how he's coming on. The point is, they do what i ask of them and i'm more than happy with them. They both tackle charlie when need be, and fill the freezer with rabbit meat. I'm happy with'em and that's all that matters.

I dont want to start "world war 3" but i have worked borders as well as my patt's for 30yrs and the borders that made the grade (DIGGING) have all started about 14 to 16 months old, in my experiance all this talk of "slow to enter" is rubbish!!!!!!!!

If the dog want's to graft it is the same as any other working bred terrier :thumbs:

• Like 4