varmint scopes

the last tasco varmint i looked thru was just before they went bust, and it was nasty, dont know what they are like now, i have a 3 to 9 illuminated[hawke] on my r7, and its a cracking little scope.

If memory serves Tasco went bump and Hawke bought the brand? :D I've got the 3-9 on my rifle too but I'm having problems with it losing zero... any tips Baldie?

If you want a decent Hawke scope the Airmax 4-12 is probably the best scope for under a ton at the moment.

thanks chris. i was realy looking for a non pa milldot with the mag of about 4-12 but cant find anything so im still looking. i like the look of the airmax and will look in to it. got any other ideas under £150 max, mildot and mag around 4-12. what rifle and mounts are you using with the scope loseing zero chris?

The tasco saga is a bit wooly, from what i can make out it goes like this. Tasco always used to be made from jap lenses, and they were bloody good, then they went for korean, or taiwanese, and the quality went through the floor, this was mainly responsible for their collapse, hawke bought the rights, and produced the same scopes under their own name.Tasco was ressurected, making only some of their own model, the best being the titan range, which i think, always had jap glass in, they always have been superb sights, getting nearer to german /european quality, dont think all the tascos have jap lenses, but some do, but i think they are all made/assembled in korea. Its a shame, i,ve bought tasco all my life, as quality reliable ,and value for money sights, the only one i,d touch now is the titan[ all tasco,s used to have this lens quality] the hawkes are good value for money, as an airgun scope, and the reduced ranges they are shot at, they cant cut it on a firearm. regarding milldots, they are only any good on one mag, for different ranges, when you alter the mag, they go to cock, depending on whether the reticule is in the first or second focal plane[ i can never remember which is which] i have a simmonds diamond mag 3.8 to 10 by 44 on my rimfire, this has the ret in the correct plane to use the ret,s different aimpoints, and they stay the same regardless of the mag, have a look at this one, its a cracking scope, and ideal for airgun/rimfire, the optics are excellent,

What do the adjusters feel like on your scope Chris? are they sloppy?, the springs could be weak, or flattened, sounds like a guarantee job.

thanks chris. i was realy looking for a non pa milldot with the mag of about 4-12 but cant find anything so im still looking. i like the look of the airmax and will look in to it.  got any other ideas under £150 max, mildot and mag around 4-12. what rifle and mounts are you using with the scope loseing zero chris?

Rifle is Webley Stingray in .22

Scope is Hawke Nite Eye 3-9 x 50

Mounts are Pro Mount Pro 8's (2 piece, double screw) :blink:

the hawkes are good value for money, as an airgun scope, and the reduced ranges they are shot at, they cant cut it on a firearm. regarding milldots, they are only any good on one mag, for different ranges, when you alter the mag, they go to cock,

Mil Dot's are set up for 10 mag to make them accurate. That's why all the military scopes are fixed 10's. I rate Hawke scopes for air guns. I've had more stuff with a fixed 4x32 than any other combination! :icon_eek:

What do the adjusters feel like on your scope Chris? are they sloppy?, the springs could be weak, or flattened, sounds like a guarantee job.

Adjusters are fine. Nice and tight. The gun will hold zero providing it doesn't take a knock. I've managed to keep it adequate by transporting it extra carefully :lol: But all it takes is the slightest of knocks and it needs readjusting. I know if I go the guarantee route it will come back faultless. :no: