Marking traps with GPS

Does anyone do this? can it be done? Ive been asked to moletrap on a farm near to a built up area and i know they will be pinched if i put markers up.

I know i can put my markers away from traps etc etc im just thinking ive heard of people marking using gps and am interested.

If you use this type of marking can you give me details please, here or via pm.

cheers trappa

Does anyone do this? can it be done? Ive been asked to moletrap on a farm near to a built up area and i know they will be pinched if i put markers up.

I know i can put my markers away from traps etc etc im just thinking ive heard of people marking using gps and am interested.

If you use this type of marking can you give me details please, here or via pm.

cheers trappa

Yes you can, but you have to know how to use and how to read your gps accurately. Easy if your traps are spread out, but not as easy if you have quite a few in a small area.

Have you considered doing a quick sketch or map as to where they are roughly, or using markers, but always putting them 5 paces in the same direction away from the traps. That should then make them harder to find.

That last tip above stopped mine getting pinched on one particular field earlier this year.

Thanks for replies boys. Rhoderick, will any hand held gps mark ok? What model do you use?

Im looking at setting around 50 - 100 traps a day, will this be an issue having this many traps set? Is it easy to set the gps and 'unset' once traps collected? Are they ok when your fingers are wet and muddy?

Apologies for so many questions

Tried it froudy. Its pretty obvious to many that markers mean mole traps and if they work out how far away the traps are from markers you can lose the lot, will be cheaper and easier to buy a gps.

Edited by trappa

Thanks for replies boys. Rhoderick, will any hand held gps mark ok? What model do you use?

Im looking at setting around 50 - 100 traps a day, will this be an issue having this many traps set? Is it easy to set the gps and 'unset' once traps collected? Are they ok when your fingers are wet and muddy?

Apologies for so many questions

i use a garmin etrex venture and it is really easy to use. dont think theres a limit on the amount of markers you can set on it, ive got about 300 on mine so you should be fine. easy to set traps and remove when finished. i use it in all conditions, wet and mud is no problem.

The only issue we have with the ones we use at work, (garmin Legend) is that unless the lads are using them all the time, they struggle when locating multi waypoints in very close proximity to each other. If running a fenn trap line it would certainly be easier, but it will only put you within a few metres and imo, with a heavily trapped mole field, which is different to a trapping line, there are easier ways to do it. It is not impossible though, so all the best. The other thing that happens with hand held units is that the exact accuracy of them can alter as well, which can be evidenced when looking at the tracklog, which is a sribbled line as to where you are.

If you are using them to find items you have left in a location that you need to go back to, such as a trail camera, they are great.

Thanks tegater. That makes sense. I usually try to set traps in pairs so it wont be as if there are lots of traps within a few metres, more like lots of pairs of traps set across a field, which sounds like it should be fine (i think).

Thanks tegater. That makes sense. I usually try to set traps in pairs so it wont be as if there are lots of traps within a few metres, more like lots of pairs of traps set across a field, which sounds like it should be fine (i think).

Yes that should be easy enough. ATB.

Trappa. This is something I looked into but the cons outweighed the pros.

Unless you get a gps at a good price you will be looking above the hundred nicker mark for something half right then the cost of your map and the price will depend on the scale but again there a few hundred quid.

Top all that off with cold wet muddy hands, in and out of your pocket every two minuets and just when it's going to let you down it does and it pulls a Tom Tom and can't acquire the satellite or the battery goes flat!!

That's my opinion but it could have the odd benefit. More of a big boy toy!

It would be cheaper to replace your traps or price it in to the job for loss. Chances are if somebody nicks your traps they have seen you put them in. So a three hundred quid investment for traps to still be nicked I see is a good old kick in the balls

• Like 1

Trappa. This is something I looked into but the cons outweighed the pros.

Unless you get a gps at a good price you will be looking above the hundred nicker mark for something half right then the cost of your map and the price will depend on the scale but again there a few hundred quid.

Top all that off with cold wet muddy hands, in and out of your pocket every two minuets and just when it's going to let you down it does and it pulls a Tom Tom and can't acquire the satellite or the battery goes flat!!

That's my opinion but it could have the odd benefit. More of a big boy toy!

It would be cheaper to replace your traps or price it in to the job for loss. Chances are if somebody nicks your traps they have seen you put them in. So a three hundred quid investment for traps to still be nicked I see is a good old kick in the balls

You don't need a map just for marking the position of something, unlike it is a good idea to have a map if you are navigating your way around the countryside.

They are reliable though and it is really only dense leave cover that sometimes causes loss of satellite signal in the open, or being surrounded by mountains means you may lose the horizon sats.

Hope this helps, and a cheapish sat nav will still work ok.