Lion hunting

• 3 weeks later...

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lion hunting in South Africa is a farce. Probably one of the most over rated degrading hunting being legally undertaken in modern times. Totally prefabricated. I have undertaken such hunts and am not

Would my hw80 be ok ill see if our lass will lend me the money.

What you never killed a lion like that?!? Thats just how we roll here in yorkshire!

Lion hunting in South Africa is a farce. Probably one of the most over rated degrading hunting being legally undertaken in modern times. Totally prefabricated. I have undertaken such hunts and am not proud in admitting to it. However I can at least debate the topic on grounds of first hand experience.Most these lion hunts are marketed from a standpoint of danger and adrenaline kick. yes often these captive bred lion do get very worked up , actually more stressed out as their flight from pursuers is restricted by electrified high fences. Any self respecting lion faced by these obstacles will probably end up charging. The whole scenario is prefab.Virtually every hunter who embarks on such a hunt kills a lion. In this scenario a sporting chance is non existant.

A free range line hunt for a lion born in the wild from wild parents thats movement is not restricted can be a very challenging hunt and will not necessarily end with the lion being " bagged " , there is an element of chance.

• Like 9

Lion hunting in South Africa is a farce. Probably one of the most over rated degrading hunting being legally undertaken in modern times. Totally prefabricated. I have undertaken such hunts and am not proud in admitting to it. However I can at least debate the topic on grounds of first hand experience.Most these lion hunts are marketed from a standpoint of danger and adrenaline kick. yes often these captive bred lion do get very worked up , actually more stressed out as their flight from pursuers is restricted by electrified high fences. Any self respecting lion faced by these obstacles will probably end up charging. The whole scenario is prefab.Virtually every hunter who embarks on such a hunt kills a lion. In this scenario a sporting chance is non existant.

A free range line hunt for a lion born in the wild from wild parents thats movement is not restricted can be a very challenging hunt and will not necessarily end with the lion being " bagged " , there is an element of chance.

So, save my $25,000 then?

ATB

• Like 1

Mickey Finn , I would strongly discourage you from partaking in a hunt of this nature. Use your money on something else.

The sad truth of these hunts is that I have sat silently observing expectant hunting clients around campfires at night being entertained by stories by their professional hunters. The professional hunters sound like stuck tape recorders as they repeat the same story to multiple clients within a given month. It is well rehearsed.The average time span for such hunts is 1 1/2 days. Sadly I get the feeling a lot of the clients just humour the PH's as they most times are fully aware of the farce they are about to engage in. At story telling time often the lion is not even on said property but in transit in a crate and will arrive around midnight or early morning by road transport. It is then released undercover of darkness at the furthest end of the property while the clients are hopefully fast asleep and blissfully unaware this is taking place. The lion will hopefully recover from the effects of the tranquiliser by morning.

The hunters rise not exceptionally early and after a quick breakfast take to the field in 4x4 vehicles to search for lion tracks. Often the first day is willfully and skillfully dedicated to avoiding making any visual contact with a lion. Some tracks will be pointed out and excuses offered as to why not to follow them i.e. not the right size , or track not fresh. Sometimes the plans dont work out and the totally disorientated lion and hunters meet on a blind corner in the bush - well then invariably the confused lion is simply dispatched from the comfort of a hunting chair on the vehicle over a well designed dead rest. End of story.

I know of as many as six huge male lions being killed like this in a matter of two hunting days by a father and son. Lions were being ferried in from across the country in relays and clandestinely being released. Needless to say there was lots of stress amongst the operators in coordinating this circus.

Most times lion hunted like this are killed many miles from their captive birthplace enviroment having been transported to a facility where legal execution awaits them. You will of course be offered many counter arguments to persuade you to part with your hard earned $$'s to embark on an exercise like this. You be the judge. I could elaborate a lot more in detail however simply put its a total farce.

Edited by Sparks Hounds
  • Like 5

Shooting lions, sicko's. People like that trophy hunting what are making many of our beautiful beasts extinct. The white rhino for instance, Not a true Hunter just a wanker.

Hahahahahaa..............This post and your avatar really go hand in hand. Its alright its not Simba......... :bye:
  • Like 4

Oh oh , opened a can of worms here have I. Thought I was just sharing info on canned lion hunting in SA. What I have shared is only the plain simple truth. However I need to draw the line when someone attacks trophy hunting or blames trophy hunters for the plight of White Rhino's. The rhino's firstly are not subject to racial prejudice like other South African's both the White and Black are being poached illegally for their horns for the Asian black market traditional medicines.

Legal trophy hunting is the most contributing factor behind the success story of bringing the rhino back from the brink of extinction where it was then only to be found on provincial and national parks in South Africa. Capture and relocation saw the eventual spread and increase of the rhino population throughout South Africa as private landowners invested in these animals. More rhino exist on private land in South Africa than on all the national and provincial parks at present time. Unscrupulous dealers organised in syndicates are presently actively poaching rhino , that is true. However this has nothing to do with trophy hunting. Most trophy hunts for rhino result with the horn being displayed in a trophy collection. Hunters pay a large some of money to legally hunt a rhino hence the popularity amongst game ranchers to invest in and keep these animals breeding on private land. Sadly however the black market price for rhino horn far exceeds the value of a live rhino or the value that trophy hunters can afford to pay to legally hunt a rhino for a trophy.

Ultimately the poached rhino horn is ground to a powder - still for trophy purposes however the trophy in this instance is the one being fondled by a nubile Asian female between silk sheets !!

• Like 4

Shooting lions, sicko's. People like that trophy hunting what are making many of our beautiful beasts extinct. The white rhino for instance, Not a true Hunter just a wanker.

I hear the same thing often repeated about deer/foxes/hares in this country, nice avatar, ironic..............

Mickey Finn , I would strongly discourage you from partaking in a hunt of this nature. Use your money on something else.

The sad truth of these hunts is that I have sat silently observing expectant hunting clients around campfires at night being entertained by stories by their professional hunters. The professional hunters sound like stuck tape recorders as they repeat the same story to multiple clients within a given month. It is well rehearsed.The average time span for such hunts is 1 1/2 days. Sadly I get the feeling a lot of the clients just humour the PH's as they most times are fully aware of the farce they are about to engage in. At story telling time often the lion is not even on said property but in transit in a crate and will arrive around midnight or early morning by road transport. It is then released undercover of darkness at the furthest end of the property while the clients are hopefully fast asleep and blissfully unaware this is taking place. The lion will hopefully recover from the effects of the tranquiliser by morning.

The hunters rise not exceptionally early and after a quick breakfast take to the field in 4x4 vehicles to search for lion tracks. Often the first day is willfully and skillfully dedicated to avoiding making any visual contact with a lion. Some tracks will be pointed out and excuses offered as to why not to follow them i.e. not the right size , or track not fresh. Sometimes the plans dont work out and the totally disorientated lion and hunters meet on a blind corner in the bush - well then invariably the confused lion is simply dispatched from the comfort of a hunting chair on the vehicle over a well designed dead rest. End of story.

I know of as many as six huge male lions being killed like this in a matter of two hunting days by a father and son. Lions were being ferried in from across the country in relays and clandestinely being released. Needless to say there was lots of stress amongst the operators in coordinating this circus.

Most times lion hunted like this are killed many miles from their captive birthplace enviroment having been transported to a facility where legal execution awaits them. You will of course be offered many counter arguments to persuade you to part with your hard earned $$'s to embark on an exercise like this. You be the judge. I could elaborate a lot more in detail however simply put its a total farce.

According to a recent article in Nat Geo its getting to the stage where the only Lions availiable for hunting purposes will be those canned ones, such has been the decline in Wild Lions numbers across Africa in recent decades...something approaching 90% since 1980.Most Wild Lions are now no longer found outside big parks like Kruger. Also says their on the point of extinction or extinct in nearly all West and Central African countries. This decline is not primarily due to hunting but to the loss of wilderness areas across Africa in the face of ever increasing human and livestock numbers.

Edited by killbilly
  • Like 1

It is true a lot of game species numbers are declining due to loss of space ( habitat ) , its a well known topic of discussion however it is a global issue and not restricted to certain continents.

In respect of lions much is to be said and debated about the prefab lion hunting in South Africa. It has its merits. However the hunting of these animals in South Africa will remain prefab. If I had a client insistant on wanting a hunt of this nature , he would be told all the details of the operation from begining to end. That be , should I decide to involve myself in contracting to undertake such a hunt.

Returning to the issue of decline in wild lion numbers one needs to consider the real fact that the Asian demand for lion bone in traditional medicine is huge. With the influx of rice eaters in Africa this increases the opportunity to encourage black market trade in lion parts which could have a dramatic impact on wild lion populations. Poverty is rife throughout Africa and in most cases big game that effect the livelihood of rural subsitence farmers i.e. elephant raiding crops , predators eating livestock are viewed as pests and treated as such. With a little incentive in being able to recieve payment for by products such as for hides , ivory , horn and now lion bones it only serves to encourage poor locals to illegally hunt these animals. In the corrupt ranks of officials elected as custodians to these animals the activities are mostly protected as the officials are often part of the master plan and network.

One could in fact strongly argue that the prefab lion ranching taking place in South Africa could or should be implimented in countries throughout Africa if only to relieve pressure on remaining wild populations. It may even be a sound idea to open a hunting season on Asians that are fast taking root in many African states. My bet is that the rice eaters have a master plan in Africa and certainly of any nations have the capacity to out breed the indigenous Africans.

Edited by Sparks Hounds
  • Like 1

we all enjoy hunting, we dont hunt to help farmers we hunt because its a natural instinct. I dont give a feck if its a rabbit or a lion or a tame pheasant, if ones wrong they all are. there is still plenty of wild big game/wilderness hunting to be found in africa- if you have the money or the balls to search for it. I know a chap who goes once every few years to some quite far out dangerous places and blags his hunting where he can with as much danger and risk as any 18th century explorer. Hunting in south africa may not match the african hunting of years ago but you can still hunt wild game on 'ranches' bigger than any scottish estate. Just like in the UK many species owe their existence to hunting. Reading some of the comments on here is like reading a left wing townie tabloid newspaper, calling people 'sicko's' and such like :thumbdown:

• Like 3

Who kills the most lion in East Africa?

The masai. Unfortunately they are portrayed as coffee table book tribal heros not the morons most of them are. This summer a goat was killed in nairobi National park by illegal masaai grazers - their response was to kill 6 lions in retaliation. That takes out the entire gene pool of that territory. This story happens across east africa more frequently than you might imagine. Kenya is down to about 2,000 lions and that number is dropping primarily due to livestock grazing conflicts. The only success stories on this are in the unfenced conservancies in Mara North, Olare Orok etc where the tourism "rents" land from the masai for photo tourism. The models where compensation is paid for livestock deaths from wildlife is open to abuse and the areas where no comp is paid seems to be working far better.

Sparks hounds - you are right about the asian influx - they own and control most of east africa. You could argue we used to so we can't complain but I would like to think that in these more enlightened times we wouldn't let that continent get raped of all its natural resources PURELY for export. As soon as the new port opens up Sudan the problem is going to get exponentially massive. Our oriental friends realised that you can literally buy anything/ anyone in africa and they are making good use of it. Our consumer lifestyles for stupid iphones etc fuel the demand for the exploitation of mineral deposits which we gleefully buy from the East.

There are too many examples to list here but here is one: The Selous Game reserve - the largest game reserve in Africa. A UN world Heritage site. The new location for the worlds largest open cast Uranium mine. It will be the size of Oxfordshire. It will be owned and run by the Chinese. Add to that the elephant poaching in the Selous and it seems the chinese are hell bent of destroying it as fast as possible:

Tanzania's elephant population declined by more than 30,000 elephants between 2006 and 2009, primarily from poaching to supply black-market ivory to Asia. Rampant poaching is concentrated around the Selous Game Reserve where 40% of Tanzania's elephants are located

• Like 1