Lion hunting

:hmm:

What you never killed a lion like that?!? :blink:

Thats just how we roll here in yorkshire!

Do you practice the ancient art of Ecky Thump? :D

We all do up this way mate, they start teaching it at nursery school, my 5 year old has just got his first flat cap and is currently practising on field mice!

• Like 2

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Lion hunting in South Africa is a farce. Probably one of the most over rated degrading hunting being legally undertaken in modern times. Totally prefabricated. I have undertaken such hunts and am not

Would my hw80 be ok ill see if our lass will lend me the money.

What you never killed a lion like that?!? Thats just how we roll here in yorkshire!

We all do up this way mate, they start teaching it at nursery school, my 5 year old has just got his first flat cap and is currently practising on field mice!

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Bless him, he'll be ready for his first whippet soon then? :D

Yeah he will..

bless them, they grow up so fast......... :laugh:

• Like 1

Yeah he will..

bless them, they grow up so fast......... :laugh:

:clapper: :clapper:

Skip to content Skip to main navigation

AccessibilitySite map

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council

Search this site

Find information

Do it

News and events

Contact

us

Interact

Home

Latest news

Rotherham’s Famous Feline Celebrates Milestone

Rotherham’s Famous Feline Celebrates Milestone

Published Wednesday 25th May 11

A Rotherham icon, long rumoured to be the inspiration for the statues at the base of Nelson’s Column, is set to celebrate a historic milestone.

A Rotherham icon, long rumoured to be the inspiration for the statues at the base of Nelson's Column, is set to celebrate a historic milestone.

The much loved Nelson the Lion, who resides in Rotherham's Clifton Park Museum, is set to celebrate his 65th anniversary at the twice-nominated "Museum of the Year" next week.

Museum staff are inviting Nelson's fans, both young and old, to join them in wishing the famous feline a very happy birthday at the museum with a special party on Wednesday June 1 between 11am and 3.30pm.

Nelson's journey to become Clifton Park Museum's icon has been a long and fascinating one.

Nelson, a South African Cape lion, a species which is now extinct, is believed to be the lion that was used by artist Edward Landseer as the model for the bronze statues of lions that sit at the foot of Nelsons' Column in Trafalgar Square, hence his name!

His origins are shrouded in mystery. However, it is known that after he toured Europe in a travelling menagerie of animals he settled down in Regents Park Zoo, where he died in 1872 at the grand old age of 25.

He was loaned to the Museum in 1947, and finally donated in 1970, by Joseph Whitacker, the owner of Blythe Hall and a significant collector of natural history material from all over the world.

Since 1947 Nelson has been living in various parts of the museum, eventually finding a permanent home in his den. The den allows children to learn all about Nelson as they explore aspects of South African natural history and features an interactive Strangler Fig tree.

The results of the recent "Nelson Drawing and Writing" competition are currently displayed at Clifton Park Museum. The new Mayor will award the prizes to the winners at 3.30 pm on June 1 before cutting the birthday cake for all to share.

On the day itself families can have a go at making Nelson birthday cards, party hats and badges and can decorate a lion biscuit fresh off the Victorian range. There will be story-telling and a Nelson Museum trail to have a go at throughout the day.

Senior Officer at the Museum, Rachel Reynolds, said: "Everybody loves Nelson, and whenever people visit the museum, the first thing they usually do is visit the Lion's Den.

"Over the decades Nelson has delighted thousands of people, many of whom have now grown up and brought their children, and even grandchildren to see him.

"He's still looking good for his age and it wouldn't be the same without him. I hope everyone comes along and helps to celebrate this fantastic anniversary with us."

For more information, please contact the museum on 01709 336633.

More articles in the news archive.

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council news feed | About RSS.

Bookmark this page

digg

delicious

StumbleUpon

Reddit

Facebook

Mixx

Google

LinkedIn

Live

NewsVine

Useful Links

Job Vacancies

This Weeks Properties

Customer Services

Council committee meetings

Find Your Councillor

Libraries

Planning Applications

School admissions

Events

Did you find it?

Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council, Riverside House, Main Street, Rotherham. S60 1AE.

Terms & Disclaimer | Accessibility statement | Website statistics | Site map | Contact us | Location | Search Rotherham

Council info onSelect a category...Advice and benefitsBusinessCommunity and livingCouncil and democracyEducation and learningEnvironment and planningHousingJobs and careersLeisure and cultureTransport and streetsHealth and social care

All content © 2012 Rotherham Metropolitan Borough Council. Powered by Jadu Content Management

HomepageWhat's new Search facility Frequently asked questionsCouncil services FeedbackTop of the page

• 1 month later...

Out of interest have you managed to sell any trophy hunts on here? If i was in the market for spending £25k on big game then I think i would contact a PH direct.

JJM - yes its a shame but wehere humans encroach on their habitat people would rather the cat was removed and not the humans. The money from the trophy fees go back ionto conservation and ironically without big game hunting in africa a LOT of species would no longer be found.

• Like 5

i think its a shame that such a beutifull animal should be shot

I think the same about rabbits, the most beautifull of gods creatures. Maybe we should ask Ian to set up an anti lion & rabbit shooting section? :blink:

well if there 10000's of the feckers like your (beautifull rabbit) well yes, but like most other animals on this planet , they aint that many big cats about . This aint about control, its about (MONEY) :yes: :yes:

• Like 5

i think its a shame that such a beutifull animal should be shot

I think the same about rabbits, the most beautifull of gods creatures. Maybe we should ask Ian to set up an anti lion & rabbit shooting section? :blink:

well if there 10000's of the feckers like your (beautifull rabbit) well yes, but like most other animals on this planet , they aint that many big cats about . This aint about control, its about (MONEY) :yes: :yes:

Bird I'm not getting into an argument over this. None of us on here hunt because we feel a burning need to help the farmers control rabbits do we, it's for the love of hunting. I suppose it's wrong to hunt rabbits purely for profit then is it. If lion hunting is sustainable how can any of us knock it. An animals beauty should have f**k all to do with hunting it.

• Like 1