Best ferret dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

Most dogs whatever breed can be twisted at an early age with the right circumstances to be interested in hunting of some sort.

Lets face it, men dont have anything to do with it, not far removed instinct kicks in and away you go, its the way a dog is programmed.

As to its ability, basic physique will tell you a lot, most dogs from a working background will catch rabbits by default fom time to time even though being hardly racy in shape, but makes me laugh the more for it!

A light speedy frame of any sort will fit the bill to catch, but this is where the complications start, stamina, speed and hardiness to the conditions are all factors people choose to work on with breeding, think your little dog will get a good few in his life given the chance, just go with it.

Definitely has a light speedy frame, quick off the mark and turns on a penny, never seems to tire either. Hes got a pretty decent coat aswell which has come in handy when bushing so far and has a good nose. So he's got positives but theres also a few bad points in there. Yaps on the lamp, whines on the lead and wont retrieve but im working on that

Her Daughter, also turned out a good un.

Whippet X Whippet X Bedlington.

jp008.jpg

Is it unusual to get such a decent coat from only a quarter beddy blood in there? Cos i want a decent coat but dont want to sacrifice any speed??

both stunning dogs

Edited by crorider

Old fashioned type, was a very well known Rabbiting Bitch,

Genuine first cross Whippet X Bedlington, photograph taken 30 years ago.

jp005.jpg

That is a fine lookinh dog :thumbs:

blue pocket rocket how are yours bred?

Top one is a full whippet. Nothing fancy in her make up, shed turning out to be a very good dog. I couldnt ask more of her. Shes picking it all up very quickly and takinh everything in her stride. She is super keen (which sometimes isnt such a good thing for a dog of 19.5"tts and 24lb!!) But coming on very well.

The bottom is a lurcher with saluki/collie/grey/whippet in the make up. Very quick dog and can turn on a tuppence like the whippet. This dog has great potential BUT is very timid. She is however also keen. She is hitting her 'deaf' stage and has been in it for a while :laugh: she will soon snap out of it! Shes 22"tts so a smallish size but perfect for my quarry.

I will be alternating from now on between the 2 dogs for ferreting and end of this month i will be starting her on the lamp.

My dogs will never be anything to shout about but im sure will do me fine :thumbs:

• Like 1

Most dogs whatever breed can be twisted at an early age with the right circumstances to be interested in hunting of some sort.

Lets face it, men dont have anything to do with it, not far removed instinct kicks in and away you go, its the way a dog is programmed.

As to its ability, basic physique will tell you a lot, most dogs from a working background will catch rabbits by default fom time to time even though being hardly racy in shape, but makes me laugh the more for it!

A light speedy frame of any sort will fit the bill to catch, but this is where the complications start, stamina, speed and hardiness to the conditions are all factors people choose to work on with breeding, think your little dog will get a good few in his life given the chance, just go with it.

Definitely has a light speedy frame, quick off the mark and turns on a penny, never seems to tire either. Hes got a pretty decent coat aswell which has come in handy when bushing so far and has a good nose. So he's got positives but theres also a few bad points in there. Yaps on the lamp, whines on the lead and wont retrieve but im working on that

Yours wont be the only dog with a poor retrieve, dogs have faults, thats a given. People being blessed with a brain have the ability to work with the faults.

pip077.jpg

Nice looking whippet you got there, how tall?I was considering a whippet for my next dog but the grounds terrible where i live. Chalk and flint everywhere, do you get many problems with your ones feet?

I cant reccomend a whippet enough. As a family pet/ a working companion and a ferreting dog :thumbs:

Mine has got balls i never thought she had.

Handy to chuck under your arm and do a runner :laugh:

Her Litter to the Whippet all pups were coursed haired, slate blue, apart from Snowy who was white, no one wanted her because of her colour, they all wanted the blue dogs.

so i kept her, she went to Ayrshire where she was a well known dog.

The Whippet is 21 inches, he is only a year and a half,

ran him on all type of ground no problem with feet, he has good tight feet on him.

Old fashioned type, was a very well known Rabbiting Bitch,

Genuine first cross Whippet X Bedlington, photograph taken 30 years ago.

jp005.jpg

what height was she? got a bitch pup 12 month here same way bred. hope she is a little bit as good as yours was.

18 inches.

Yours wont be the only dog with a poor retrieve, dogs have faults, thats a given. People being blessed with a brain have the ability to work with the faults.

Well im not the type to pass a dog around, hes my first dog but wont be anywhere near the last. He's first and foremost a pet, working is just what we both want to do. Even if he turned out pure shite id of lived with it but hes definitely shown potential. But next seasons bitch will be a lot more carefully picked for exactly what i want from her and hopefully with all the time and effort im going to be putting in, will turn out a decent rabbitter!

But as with Tim, if shes a pile of shit she'll still be a family pet

Her Litter to the Whippet all pups were coursed haired, slate blue, apart from Snowy who was white, no one wanted her because of her colour, they all wanted the blue dogs.

ran him on all type of ground no problem with feet, he has good tight feet on him.

Ive know people say their feet is the only bad point but i spose its a lottery with how their feet will turn out. i spose plenty of road work and not running them too young will help but i dont think i can afford to chance it which is a shame cos i love whippets. Think as ill be living round here for a long while yet ill need breeding with proven good feet like something with a lot of kelpie or collie and saluki in it. saying that though, had no problems so far with the whippet chorkies feet lol

How does the young whippet compare to the beddy /whippet CJ at a similar age. do you find any marked difference in nose, biddability,cover work,etc