Best ferret dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

Took my little whippet/guinea pig out lamping with deerhoundlurcherman last night. Was only going to slip him on squatters but we couldnt get anywhere near any of them so we just had to slip him on whatever her saw. 4 slips, didnt see 1 and ran the wrong way, 1 made it to cover and he started yapping and the other 2 had the luckiest escape theyll ever get from a dog! He caught them but only pinned them for a second and let them get away when they struggled. It was a tiny bit disappointing tbh to see him do the hard bit but overall we were well impressed with him. He did everything i thought he would, quick off the mark, quick on the turn and didnt give up when the rabbit made the cover, he followed it straight in there. I must admit all the comments ive had on my threads on here did slowly make me start to doubt him but i shouldnt of worried so much. although its very early days as long as he learns to hold on better he'll make a much better bunny dog than anyone would think his breeding could produce. :D

I have to ask...how in the world do you guys break a dog to ferrets ? Especially one with a strong drive. My airedales would grab every one ,I just know it.

I don't know that breed but pretty sure as long as you started them as pups they would come good

I have to ask...how in the world do you guys break a dog to ferrets ? Especially one with a strong drive. My airedales would grab every one ,I just know it.

aaron skycat on this site has a pure airdale,, and two halfcross airdales,, the pure is from yank stock.........and i belive all hers are broken.... as with any dog,, early scosalisation is key

Took my little whippet/guinea pig out lamping with deerhoundlurcherman last night. Was only going to slip him on squatters but we couldnt get anywhere near any of them so we just had to slip him on whatever her saw. 4 slips, didnt see 1 and ran the wrong way, 1 made it to cover and he started yapping and the other 2 had the luckiest escape theyll ever get from a dog! He caught them but only pinned them for a second and let them get away when they struggled. It was a tiny bit disappointing tbh to see him do the hard bit but overall we were well impressed with him. He did everything i thought he would, quick off the mark, quick on the turn and didnt give up when the rabbit made the cover, he followed it straight in there. I must admit all the comments ive had on my threads on here did slowly make me start to doubt him but i shouldnt of worried so much. although its very early days as long as he learns to hold on better he'll make a much better bunny dog than anyone would think his breeding could produce. :D

I reckon yer wee dog will grip them a bit harder next time :thumbs:

• Like 1

The more I think about it if I could have a dog just for ferreting I would go for a terrier admittedly they are not as versatile as a small lurcher but they will handle the thickest of cover better than any small lurcher simply because they have the build for it.

They will miss the odd bolter that gets by the nets but a good dog will simply put the rabbit to ground again. It will obviously be less likely too bolt second time around so you need too be prepared too dig but when it comes too efficiency and not missing much they are the way too go.

The more I think about it if I could have a dog just for ferreting I would go for a terrier admittedly they are not as versatile as a small lurcher but they will handle the thickest of cover better than any small lurcher simply because they have the build for it.

They will miss the odd bolter that gets by the nets but a good dog will simply put the rabbit to ground again. It will obviously be less likely too bolt second time around so you need too be prepared too dig but when it comes too efficiency and not missing much they are the way too go.

maybe whippet terrier isnt a bad way to go then?