Best ferret dogs

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

i'm getting into ferreting cos i want to see my dog catch rabbits.

Firstly it's great that you are showing an interest in ferreting/working your dog even if it was a mistake and not your intention but to a dyed in the wool rabbit catcher and countryman it's attitudes like this that I truly dislike and find damaging to the rural way of life.

I would love to have read that you're "getting into ferreting because you have a rabbit problem on crops or like the idea of the rabbit being a sustainable food source etc" The thought of bolting rabbits just purely to see your dog catch them doesn't sit well with me and in this day and age we all need to be very careful how we show what we do to the outside world. Lets not forget that this place will be viewed by antis/police/press etc. Rabbits were made exempt from the hunting act but with comments like the above it's just anti fodder and wouldn't bode well at all in an argument should one ever arise.

As I've already stated it is good that you are keen to learn and want to work your dog but think a little about what you're typing there are men and women who have worked very hard to show rabbiting with Lurchers in a positive light and prove it's worth it's salt as an effective method of pest control but with comments like "how many holes do i not cover and do i choose a certain type of hole to leave open for the dog?" you can undo an awful lot of that good work, which I'm sure isn't your intention.

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think

when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on the first few occasions and then I won,t net any holes so the dog becomes fine tuned eventualy and starts picking up bolters/ predicting etc, I use this method because I think it uses the dogs full potential which what we want from our dogs

my point is you,re saying you shouldn,t be typing " which do I leave unneted etc " incase it upsets the antis

if I,m writing a post to advise a newbie on the methods which I use myself I,m not going to start worrying about what the antis think and start watering the posts down,

if they don,t like it fxck em

at the end of the day I believe in the way I go about the hunting game, as long as the animals you hunt are treated with respect and despatched humanely thats all you should be worrying about, if you,re worrying about antis views well they must be winning, changing your mindset

now I respect you leveller, you,re obviously experienced and have good knowledge but maybe the antis are clouding your view a little :hmm:

• Like 11

i'm getting into ferreting cos i want to see my dog catch rabbits.

Firstly it's great that you are showing an interest in ferreting/working your dog even if it was a mistake and not your intention but to a dyed in the wool rabbit catcher and countryman it's attitudes like this that I truly dislike and find damaging to the rural way of life.

I would love to have read that you're "getting into ferreting because you have a rabbit problem on crops or like the idea of the rabbit being a sustainable food source etc" The thought of bolting rabbits just purely to see your dog catch them doesn't sit well with me and in this day and age we all need to be very careful how we show what we do to the outside world. Lets not forget that this place will be viewed by antis/police/press etc. Rabbits were made exempt from the hunting act but with comments like the above it's just anti fodder and wouldn't bode well at all in an argument should one ever arise.

As I've already stated it is good that you are keen to learn and want to work your dog but think a little about what you're typing there are men and women who have worked very hard to show rabbiting with Lurchers in a positive light and prove it's worth it's salt as an effective method of pest control but with comments like "how many holes do i not cover and do i choose a certain type of hole to leave open for the dog?" you can undo an awful lot of that good work, which I'm sure isn't your intention.

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think

when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on the first few occasions and then I won,t net any holes so the dog becomes fine tuned eventualy and starts picking up bolters/ predicting etc, I use this method because I think it uses the dogs full potential which what we want from our dogs

my point is you,re saying you shouldn,t be typing " which do I leave unneted etc " incase it upsets the antis

if I,m writing a post to advise a newbie on the methods which I use myself I,m not going to start worrying about what the antis think and start watering the posts down,

if they don,t like it fxck em

at the end of the day I believe in the way I go about the hunting game, as long as the animals you hunt are treated with respect and despatched humanely thats all you should be worrying about, if you,re worrying about antis views well they must be winning, changing your mindset

now I respect you leveller, you,re obviously experienced and have good knowledge but maybe the antis are clouding your view a little :hmm:

That...anti's have a mental disorder . How else could you say with a straight face ( and actually believe ) that a fish is a mouse is a dog is a child. No sane person can equate that. So why try to reason with insanity. The hell with 'em.

That...anti's have a mental disorder . How else could you say with a straight face ( and actually believe ) that a fish is a mouse is a dog is a child. No sane person can equate that. So why try to reason with insanity. The hell with 'em.

I agree, i know people that eat meat, tell me hunting is wrong on every level but admit they wouldnt hesitate calling in a pest controller if they had rats in their home

Guest Leveller

Firstly thanks and it's nice to have a debate and even disagree with members on a sensible mature level.

Let's just get one thing straight I care very little for what anti's think at the end of the day many of them are just plain and simply wrong I think that's something we can all agree on. It's the fence sitters, the layman and the general public who we need to prove to that what we do is ethicly decent I was brought up to act as a good ambassador for hunting/ferreting/lurchers/terriers whatever you chose to do. I could confidently argue my pro side of hunting until I'm blue in the face with any anti in any courtroom/police station whatever but it makes it difficult when you get quotes and pictures thrown at you from sites " like smashing foxes up with bullcrosses" unfortunately we do get tarred with the same brush and the member on here took what I said in the right frame of mind it wasn't a dig at them just a pointer if you like.

• Like 2

Firstly thanks and it's nice to have a debate and even disagree with members on a sensible mature level.

Let's just get one thing straight I care very little for what anti's think at the end of the day many of them are just plain and simply wrong I think that's something we can all agree on. It's the fence sitters, the layman and the general public who we need to prove to that what we do is ethicly decent I was brought up to act as a good ambassador for hunting/ferreting/lurchers/terriers whatever you chose to do. I could confidently argue my pro side of hunting until I'm blue in the face with any anti in any courtroom/police station whatever but it makes it difficult when you get quotes and pictures thrown at you from sites " like smashing foxes up with bullcrosses" unfortunately we do get tarred with the same brush and the member on here took what I said in the right frame of mind it wasn't a dig at them just a pointer if you like.

Your gentlemanly attitude is good to hear and I can't fault that in the least. Good ambassador for the sport.

• Like 2

I can,t really argue with the point of view you,re trying to put across leveller but the lads post wasn,t a " smash da foxes" type post and when I read it there wasn,t alarm bells ringing, I wasn,t worrying about what the antis might think, I do see what you are saying though regards the ordinary public and how there opinions are formed,

what I,m trying to say is I wouldn,t water down any questions or replies to appease antis or anyone else, if you truly believe you go about the hunting game in the correct manner then you should stand up and be counted rather than start worrying too much what others think

all this said I suppose it doesn,t really matter what is written the antis are only going to use the content which shows us in a bad light anyway

atb :thumbs: