Best ferret dogs

Hi all, I'm just about to enter the world of ferreting with my little whirrier and 2 young Jills. Somebody is showing me the ropes with an adult ferret to hopefully show my younguns what to do.

I understand that nets are used to cover the holes and this is usually what catches the rabbit, but i'm getting into ferreting cos i want to see my dog catch rabbits.

So my first question is how many holes do i not cover and do i choose a certain type of hole to leave open for the dog?

Secondly, love to hear peoples opinions based on previous experience about what they think is an ideal breed of ferreting dog. Any pics of proven ferret dogs greatly appreciated.

Cheers. Heres mine

post-74321-0-82664300-1347485557_thumb.jpgpost-74321-0-80894500-1347485602.jpg

Sire - Whippet, Dam - Yorkie/Chihuahua. Obviously an accidental mating but he's incredibly agile and quicker than the breed suggests lol

Edited by crorider

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I realise you,re only trying to guide the lad in the correct way leveller but imo you worry too much what the antis think when I,m entering a dog to the ferreting I,ll let it grab netted bunnys on th

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.  Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this rout

star when they're young easy really and not just the dogs and ferrets

Posted Images

Yea he was a piece of piss, didnt really need to break him he was really wary of them at first but now they seem to be best mates. They dont stop playing with each other. tbh i thought he'd want to kill them as thats what he wants to do to any other other species from mice to cattle(need to work on that lol) so i was shocked when he seemed skittish around them

Edited by crorider

he's had a couple from cover already and come very close 3 times now. This is during daylight when the rabbits have been yards from their warrens, i think hes so small they dont see or hear him coming till he's about 20 yards away. Im sure he'll catch. Pretty much every lurcherman thats seen him has said he looks like a proper ferret dog, so only time will tell now!

Guest Leveller

i'm getting into ferreting cos i want to see my dog catch rabbits.

Firstly it's great that you are showing an interest in ferreting/working your dog even if it was a mistake and not your intention but to a dyed in the wool rabbit catcher and countryman it's attitudes like this that I truly dislike and find damaging to the rural way of life.

I would love to have read that you're "getting into ferreting because you have a rabbit problem on crops or like the idea of the rabbit being a sustainable food source etc" The thought of bolting rabbits just purely to see your dog catch them doesn't sit well with me and in this day and age we all need to be very careful how we show what we do to the outside world. Lets not forget that this place will be viewed by antis/police/press etc. Rabbits were made exempt from the hunting act but with comments like the above it's just anti fodder and wouldn't bode well at all in an argument should one ever arise.

As I've already stated it is good that you are keen to learn and want to work your dog but think a little about what you're typing there are men and women who have worked very hard to show rabbiting with Lurchers in a positive light and prove it's worth it's salt as an effective method of pest control but with comments like "how many holes do i not cover and do i choose a certain type of hole to leave open for the dog?" you can undo an awful lot of that good work, which I'm sure isn't your intention.

i'm getting into ferreting cos i want to see my dog catch rabbits.

Firstly it's great that you are showing an interest in ferreting/working your dog even if it was a mistake and not your intention but to a dyed in the wool rabbit catcher and countryman it's attitudes like this that I truly dislike and find damaging to the rural way of life.

I would love to have read that you're "getting into ferreting because you have a rabbit problem on crops or like the idea of the rabbit being a sustainable food source etc" The thought of bolting rabbits just purely to see your dog catch them doesn't sit well with me and in this day and age we all need to be very careful how we show what we do to the outside world. Lets not forget that this place will be viewed by antis/police/press etc. Rabbits were made exempt from the hunting act but with comments like the above it's just anti fodder and wouldn't bode well at all in an argument should one ever arise.

As I've already stated it is good that you are keen to learn and want to work your dog but think a little about what you're typing there are men and women who have worked very hard to show rabbiting with Lurchers in a positive light and prove it's worth it's salt as an effective method of pest control but with comments like "how many holes do i not cover and do i choose a certain type of hole to leave open for the dog?" you can undo an awful lot of that good work, which I'm sure isn't your intention.

No youre right it isnt my intention at all. As ive stated im a complete novice to hunting unless you include angling.

Seeing my dogs potential and interest in hunting was what led me down this route. I can assure you or any antis that might be reading that the killing of animal does not give me a kick in any way shape or form, its just a job that has to be done.

It's a dog running it's quarry that i find fascinating to watch and ill eventually be lamping for this reason. However, before you again think im just getting into this for nothing but the sport let me assure you that Both the examples of acceptable reasons to start hunting youve given make perfect sense to me and probably most people on this site, this is why i didnt feel the need to clarify such an obvious point. My ferrets, my dog and myself will be eating everything we catch, instead of going to the supermarket and buying chicken. Which would infact always be free range when available as i hate the idea of chickens having a shit life just for our benefit. And secondly, I will not be poaching. I will only be working where i have permission which will be the result of a rabbit problem on crops as you put it.

You haven't offended me in the slightest, and i know this wasnt your intention. i assume your intention was to point out i should be more aware of the wording i use on an open forum as anything could end up as fodder for the antis. This is actually the first forum ive been on and im slowly starting to understand how sensitive a subject this is. Thank you for your message, I've taken it onboard and im glad there are people like you in our practice to guide people like me. :thumbs:

edited to add, I will never be running any animal anywhere without permission, or where it hasnt become a pest. Fox, deer, badger, hare. Are not even on my radar.

Edited by crorider
  • Like 5

Net all the holes bud on your first few outings and let the dog grab the rabbit in the net, this will build the dogs confidence no end,

the way your dog is bred ( and don,t take offence ) it may have a tendency to become a yapper so you don,t want the dog chasing and missing too many or it,ll become frustrated and thats when the yapping may start, atb

Net all the holes bud on your first few outings and let the dog grab the rabbit in the net, this will build the dogs confidence no end,

the way your dog is bred ( and don,t take offence ) it may have a tendency to become a yapper so you don,t want the dog chasing and missing too many or it,ll become frustrated and thats when the yapping may start, atb

thanks kittle, ill try that. Yea on the few occasions that he had near misses during daylight in the open he did actually bark at the rabbit as it dissappeared through the fence

It depends what you want any dog will make a ferreting dog easy if you just want them to mark occupied burrows , but a lot harder if you want them to catch and retrieve rabbits that have slipped the nets

thanks kittle, ill try that. Yea on the few occasions that he had near misses during daylight in the open he did actually bark at the rabbit as it dissappeared through the fence

The odd yap now and then ain,t going to matter but you don,t want it becoming a habit, as I,ve said netted rabbits will boost the dogs confidence :thumbs:

It depends what you want any dog will make a ferreting dog easy if you just want them to mark occupied burrows , but a lot harder if you want them to catch and retrieve rabbits that have slipped the nets

I mean to catch rabbits that have slipped the nets. would you usually go with a beddy whippet or something simliar, collie whippet?