how to identify,edible mushrooms

Wow senility is setting in fast...repeated myself twice in the same post! That can't be good.

Are puffballs edible? I was brought up not to touch them.

Granted its only Wikipedia but

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lycoperdon_perlatum "It is edible when young and the internal flesh is completely white, although care must be taken to avoid confusion with immature fruit bodies of poisonous Amanita species. L. perlatum can usually be distinguished from other similar puffballs by differences in surface texture."

Think it was on Ray Mears that I heard a story of a scientist who messed up, recognised the symptoms and wrote the species on a card for the ambulance crew. Saved his life. All very well but Joe Bloggs probably wont know that...

I was always told not to touch them but I cant remember if it was because they were poisonous or just because they didnt taste particularly ace

Wow senility is setting in fast...repeated myself twice in the same post! That can't be good.

Are puffballs edible? I was brought up not to touch them.

Granted its only Wikipedia but

http://en.wikipedia....perdon_perlatum "It is edible when young and the internal flesh is completely white, although care must be taken to avoid confusion with immature fruit bodies of poisonous Amanita species. L. perlatum can usually be distinguished from other similar puffballs by differences in surface texture."

ah right ok,

I will stick to stuff that is easy to identify, like the cepe, orange birch bolete (spelling) and field mushrooms lol I know my limits! ha

Think for my sake and that of my family I'll stick to spending some coin down the local supermarket and eat safe in knowledge I'll make it to my next meal.

Good luck Davey in your search for the edible shroom! I'll be the first to say should you not make the right choice, it's been nice knowing ya!! ;-)

Think for my sake and that of my family I'll stick to spending some coin down the local supermarket and eat safe in knowledge I'll make it to my next meal.

Good luck Davey in your search for the edible shroom! I'll be the first to say should you not make the right choice, it's been nice knowing ya!! ;-)

The taste of wild mushrooms wins hands down though mate.

Its about knowing your limits though. I only know some of the more common ones that are found around here and so only stick to those ones. I wont touch anything i dont recognise its not worth the risk like you say

• Like 1