Jagd Terriers on Sambar in Australia

This is the main way jagds are used in scandinavia aswell. And to complement them they also do earthwork, there for they use trackers. Usually they dont go to ground, but if you have a fox in front of them that goes down to hole they usually follow. Also it is how you hunt them in as puppies. But you can often hear on their different baying type what they are going after, it changes in intensity if its fox or deer, or wild boar etc also with the distance. Jagds usually work shorter times 10-45 minutes while we sometimes use native dogbreeds that go baying for all days and foremost take very cold tracks, jags usually take warmer tracks (fresher) and are good to push out deer etc in smaller areas. Plotts etc are know to take for instance very cold tracks, but are usually used for bear. Jagds are allround, but the hunter decides where the hunt mainly take place, aswell some lines are more specific for underground vs above ground work. What make jagds allround is they have a very strong willingness to hunt and very strong interest in quarry of all kind. They also have a good size.

• Like 2

There are very few drawbacks to hunting with a good jagdterrier. The ones I have will stick with rabbits in the middle of the summer in an extremely dry climate. They are persistent as hell, and I think that helps them pick a track back up after they lose it. It's easy to know when they've found it because they're yapping their heads off once they do. They no question are better than most curs I've hunted, and I've hunted a few. They are not hounds. But when they are bred with an eye on how well they can track, they will surprise most. Great one out dog or dog to have in a pinch. Super dog to hunt hogs with, but they come up short when the hog takes to the water. Don't get me wrong they freakin love the water, but they like getting themselves killed more. The same dog can retrieve like crazy, and will as often as anything else stay untill dug to. Size is one of the the issues here. For a dog to go to ground it needs to be on the smaller side, and that naturally takes away from the dogs ability to do other tasks well. I can't see trading them in on another breed, if you need a little of this, that ,and the other thing in one dog. Like any other breed they can be smart, or stupid as hell. I've heard them called the jack of all trades but master of none, and that's not doing them justice. But I have never in my life seen a worse dog to keep, if you you don't plan on keeping them wore out.

• Like 2
  • 2 months later...