kennels

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO The concrete slab and drainage is probably the most important part of a trouble free kennel.   The slope of the yard should be more than 4 degrees from FRONT to BACK.   This is important f

Here’s my set up …… after the spring clean and fresh up ….. they don’t look quite so clean now ?

Block of 4 for the terriers...

Posted Images

Nice P3D. Here's a pic of my set up.

photobucket-1787-1334864645855.jpg

Two 50'x50' exercise paddocks. They are built of 2"x4" welded wire with the top at 5', bottom foot is folded inside lying on the ground to keep them from digging out. There's also a hot wire about 10" off the ground to keep them from hanging on the fence when a rabbit or one of the chickens walks by. You can't see the second paddock but it borders the one the dogs are in on the side with the green gate.

Kennels proper are covered for shade and protection from the weather. They are on concrete. Bedding areas are built inside. Dogs get to them by going through the 8"x8" hole made by holding out 1/2 of a concrete block in the stem wall.

Works for me.

But I have to admit, that kennel plan posted earlier is the nuts.

Edited by Hickory
  • Like 6

Two 50'x50' exercise paddocks. They are built of 2"x4" welded wire with the top at 5', bottom foot is folded inside lying on the ground to keep them from digging out. There's also a hot wire about 10" off the ground to keep them from hanging on the fence when a rabbit or one of the chickens walks by. You can't see the second paddock but it borders the one the dogs are in on the side with the green gate.

Kennels proper are covered for shade and protection from the weather. They are on concrete. Bedding areas are built inside. Dogs get to them by going through the 8"x8" hole made by holding out 1/2 of a concrete block in the stem wall.

Works for me.

Hickory,

That is an impressive set up you have there.

Is the building just for your dogs? It's bigger than my house!! (only joking)

I am always slightly envious of terrier men in North America and Australia.

The space you have is fantastic, two 50'x50' runs is bigger that my total garden area (NOT joking) :laugh:

As an aside, are your dogs an American line.

The dogs (at this distance) are similar to a white line over here.

ATB

• Like 1

jesus dont mention selyhams P3D or half the northside will be up in arms,lol.

:boogy: I don't know what you are talking about! or else I would have to go into a witness protection program!! :chair: - :rofl:

But the dogs do look similar. Just wondering if some part of Hickory's line had started here.

Works for me.

Hickory,

That is an impressive set up you have there.

Is the building just for your dogs? It's bigger than my house!! (only joking)

I am always slightly envious of terrier men in North America and Australia.

The space you have is fantastic, two 50'x50' runs is bigger that my total garden area (NOT joking) :laugh:

As an aside, are your dogs an American line.

The dogs (at this distance) are similar to a white line over here.

ATB

The building is multi purpose. I park my truck in there, it's my workshop, I park five bikes (the kind you make go with your legs) in there and there is a spare fridge and deep freeze. The dog in front goes back to a line from there on the top of his pedigree as close as you can get. The bottom of his pedigree has influence from the UK but it's about 3 generations back. The small bitch is American lines. Both dogs were gifted to me.

The fenced paddocks serve two purposes. We have coyotes here and they DO take terriers. But not through a good fence. And second, if one of the dogs bolts the gate from their kennel, no big deal, they are still behind a fence.

Edited by Hickory
  • Like 1

PD3 Great advice and love the pictures. As I have witnessed your flush system in operation and I am a little jealous I dont have one I think you should take a few photos or even a video and show the lads how it works. I would patent the idea first though :thumbs: .

While I am busy hosing and brushing you are reading the paper.......

• Like 2

great stuff !!!!!!!!! i'm gonna sound a bit o a nit picker here but here goes. the design is spot on but it can be improved. just by raising the bedding area off the floor will increase the area of the run and makes washing down much easier keeping the bed area dry.hope you don't mind the alteration :thumbs:

great stuff !!!!!!!!! i'm gonna sound a bit o a nit picker here but here goes. the design is spot on but it can be improved. just by raising the bedding area off the floor will increase the area of the run and makes washing down much easier keeping the bed area dry.hope you don't mind the alteration :thumbs:

R.A.W.

IMO you are right to improve on the kennel shown. :thumbs:

This is what we all should do, question and challange kennel layouts.

Do not accept conventional designs, ask "why is it built like that" or more importantly "what is best for the dog".

Google this guys work, not all of his ideas will apply to working terriers (the chew stuff would last about 20 minutes with my dogs)

But it shows a different way to look at how animals are housed.

Comfortable Quarters for Dogs in Research Institutions - Robert Hubrecht

post-42222-0-49770300-1348071765_thumb.jpg

This is just my view at the moment, I could see in another mans yard a way to do it better tomorrow. :yes:

P3D

• Like 1