kennels

iv got new kennels to build. im wanting to build a really good decent set that will do me for years and look really good. iv got a couple of basic ideas so im wondering if some of yous could post some pictures of your kennels and bedding areas on here and see if i can take a couple ideas from yous. appreciated guys

Edited by obi2

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

IMO The concrete slab and drainage is probably the most important part of a trouble free kennel.   The slope of the yard should be more than 4 degrees from FRONT to BACK.   This is important f

Here’s my set up …… after the spring clean and fresh up ….. they don’t look quite so clean now ?

Block of 4 for the terriers...

Posted Images

obi2,

My suggestion would be to look at the space you have available and apply some basic rules that would get you going in the right direction to trouble free kennels.

If like most terriermen in these islands you are looking at a back garden.

post-42222-0-60225000-1347319288.jpg

and something bigger than a back yard.

post-42222-0-86691700-1347319409.jpg

Then you are lucky enough to have this kind of space to start with.

post-42222-0-58026700-1347319329.jpg

Check the way the Sun reaches all parts of the space available.

post-42222-0-27047100-1347319496.jpg

Then choose your location so that the kennel concrete slab takes best advantage of this position.

post-42222-0-13959800-1347319625_thumb.jpg

See the next post for ideas with the slab.(the images are too big for one post)

• Like 5

IMO The concrete slab and drainage is probably the most important part of a trouble free kennel.

post-42222-0-43100700-1347320249_thumb.jpg

The slope of the yard should be more than 4 degrees from FRONT to BACK.

post-42222-0-51924700-1347320334_thumb.jpg

This is important for the waste to run off easily.

Nearly every builder will try to convince you that this is not necessary.

They are wrong. They are used to building driveways and footpaths, not animal yards.

Build a kerb into the front.

post-42222-0-22818300-1347320511_thumb.jpg

And a drain with the same slope into the back of the yard.

post-42222-0-68496200-1347320573_thumb.jpg

I prefer an open drain as shown.

some people prefer a closed drain.

Place an insulated dog box raised 50mm(2") off the yard.

Finish with custom made galvanized panels and gate. Again 50mm(2") raised off the yard.

The panels have to be made to allow for the slope.

The panels that are generally advertised for sale are flat at the bottom.

Look at the image, flat panels would allow the dog to get out at the gap created by the slope.

post-42222-0-66595900-1347320551_thumb.jpg

A roof area at the front can be added later. useful for.

1. Shelter for the dog to sit out when it is raining. otherwise he is stuck in the house all day.

2. Shelter for the owner to handle the dog standing on the house as a table. i.e cleaning down after working.

3. Shelter the owner and house internal while changing bedding in bad weather.

4. Collects rainwater to flush the yard.

5. External lighting can be mounted underneath.

Run the waste back to the front of the yard.

In the image it is shown open but it would normally be underground running back towards the house drainage system (Sewage piping).

post-42222-0-20636500-1347321863_thumb.jpg

With this arrangement the owner stands at the highest point of the slab at the front.

The dog sits out and eats at the front of the yard.

It can also sit on top of the house, nearly all dogs will. This maximizes the area and provides a bench for handling.

The dog has the choice to crap at the back of the yard. Away from his sitting out position, his house entrance and his food.

Not all dogs will do this but you would be surprised how many will.

If the rainwater is captured at the front of the yard, it can be used to flush the yard without entering each kennel.

It is not difficult to arrange for the flush to tip out when full and return to the original position.

It will do this each time it rains.

Even if this is not installed, the owner can hose the kennels from the gate back to the drain.

Once you get your head around what you want it becomes easier to design the yard that suits you.

ATB

P3D

• Like 16

Brilliant advice there :thumbs: And with superb diagrams: Love the rain flush system: do the dogs get a warning bell when a mini tidal wave sweeps through their run? :tongue2::laugh:

Thanks Skycat,

A small hole is drilled just below the water level before it tips over. (This is called a "Tell" in piping).

This will shoot out a stream of water a couple of minutes before the tsunami!!

What is great about dogs is how well they are aware of their enivironment.

Two flushes and they are clued in. :icon_eek:

The 4 degree slope allows the yard to dry quickly and stop puddles.

The dogs pads are healthier and eliminates the use of "Jeyes Fluid" type products. :thumbs:

These scented products should be banned from working dog kennels IMO. They contain chemicals which supress the sense of smell.

post-42222-0-87782000-1347373757.jpg

Imagine in human terms if someone came into our house and placed powerful spotlights around the walls in every room.

How damaged would our vison be after a couple of months.

post-42222-0-13841500-1347374514.jpg

ATB

• Like 1

you on the whiskey again p3d.............cause that was awe inspiring,lol.Some day Im going to meet up with you at a show and ask about your flush system(is that the right name) you have in your kennells.i spent a lot on my new kennells and its still a work in progress,roofs are my next big adventure but finance dictate it wont be done for a while yet.The problem im dealing with now it the fekin terrier eating her box,its got french doors now but it started as a small opening.

• Like 3

you on the whiskey again p3d.............cause that was awe inspiring,lol.Some day Im going to meet up with you at a show and ask about your flush system(is that the right name) you have in your kennells.i spent a lot on my new kennells and its still a work in progress,roofs are my next big adventure but finance dictate it wont be done for a while yet.The problem im dealing with now it the fekin terrier eating her box,its got french doors now but it started as a small opening.

Anytime L.

Just call up. Money is an issue here too.

I still have a gate kept closed with 2 blocks.

Promised myself I would put a latch on during the summer. :icon_redface: