the ability of the bull x as a alrounder

If we talking bull greys and not lurchers that carry bit of bull I had one tried it on everything lacked on hares but killed the odd unlucky one took most other things genuilny good retriever and never sickened caught me alot of deer in woods and shitty places. its normally an owner that limits a dog get em out enough there do allsorts not just hunting side a things either and can be quite clever without it bieng negative.seen a couple that were dog killers but also seen one not even look at two terriers locked together underneath him. Some of em real sensible. 

Im looking forward to going down the bull x path again not for numbers night after night week after week n all that just after a trier to give abit of stick to.

Edited by C.green
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

In the right hands they can be trained to do pretty much anything any other cross can do .The problem is that 75% of bull crosses have probably got more brains and sense than their owners so dont get

Bringing on my young dog this season.. can’t wait to start showing him bits and pieces, most forward dog I’ve ever owned. He’s currently 28” tts I’d say he’s done growing. Plenty of pace and very swit

This terrier first cross made 28. ?

Posted Images

On 06/09/2012 at 21:20, milliken said:

To tell you the truth ive never really been a fan of this cross as in my mind at a time they where for one job and that was a terrier mans lurcher good round a hole but as a alround lurcher i never rated them

another thought that put me of this cross was most the ones i seen where poorly trained pulling there owners round the place none retrivers poor recall and so on you know the types so im my eyes i thought i would never have one about me as they would not suit my needs i like a dog that can be trained to a good standered mostly it would be used for lamping rabbits the odd day time hare and a fox or two if the chance came up

so how did i end up with a bull x pup thats what i want to know am i mad looking a challenge or going with the trend ? i was given the pup as i got the lad a service of a friends bull x dog who in my eyes is a great allrounder as good at lamping bunnys as he is anything eles i had all the intentions of given the pup to a suitable lad that was on the look out for such a cross i got the pup at 6 weeks and he is still here now 15 weeks i gess the little fella has grown on me

has my view of this cross changed all i can say is yes as for the ability of it learning basic commands its top class and as good as the collie x i had at this age at 15 weeks he sits stands lies down on command with voice or hand signals comes to whistle retrives holds objects on comand and walks to heel he has took it all in his stride he is willing to learn and please

so the next stage of his training will be the stay and moveing left and right with hand signalls and the one he has mastered so far only from abit more distance

ill keep you up dated on his progress or his set backs and a few pics

but the point of this topic is the bullx abilty as a allrounder whats your views on this and the abilty to train them to a hight standered

all the best and hope you all have a good season

robert

Staff bull very clever dogs ,more up top than most think ,I see one on a shoot few yr ago that held his own and found birds gun dog couldn't ,any dog can be trained as faults are normally human and not the jook 

On 06/09/2012 at 22:22, leegreen said:

Mine Bull x ferrets, rabbits, rats, retrieves both from shot gun, air rifle and retrieves from water. Retrieves live and unmarked. Has no fear of brambles and thick cover, if she can push through it she will. Good stamina great nose. She's a good set of eyes when out with the catty, good watch dog, trained to the bite sleeve. Doesn't chase cats, walks off the lead ever where from busy town centres, on public transport. I took her around a rabbit show! no problem (but she was on the lead just in case) :laugh: . Good with other dogs, livestock and loves children.

I've used her for herding sheep and goats (very basic) :D

In fact her only downside is her shite coat and almost uncontrollable appetite.

All round enough for ya?

Is that all it can do ?

• Haha 2

The only thing holding the well bred bull xs back are the shithead owners it attracts. I’ve seen dogs I’ve owned read a situation when a fox has bolted that they needed to run wide or look up first to see their best way over sheep wire or a ditch before starting the chase, some can have a very smart running brain that could be used on any game not only the fox although that’s all I’ve ever ran mine on. 

• Like 2