Landowner or Tenent

We had a mooch around some new permission last evening. Had a map of where we were allowed. Permo slip signed (By Landowner) and in my pocket. Off we went.

Getting near the end of the walk we were approached by a farm hand of the Tenent. Well lets just say he wasn't very happy, Effing and Blinding about his Cows being in calf and dropping them if the dogs worried them, who told us we could be on there, good job it wasn't his boss who had found us, so on, so on. That was until we showed him the map and signed slip, then he calmed down a bit and we had a bit of banter with him, turns out my mate knew him from old.

Soured the night a little for us so we went to leave, not wanting to upset anyone else. But as we did a Women in the Horse field dext door asked if we were looking for the Footpath, we said no, we were Rabbiting. We told her we had permission of the landowner Mr Smith, to which she replied " I'm Mrs Smith." Turns out she's Mr Smiths Sister in law. Showed her the signed slip and she was alright about it......Just.

We didn't see much about and we don't really want to start a Landowner V's Tenent arguement. On the other hand we havn't got much other land to go on.

So. Do we carry on and still go there, or do we give it up as a bad job.

I found myself in a similar situation last week. The land owner wanted me to shoot some rabbits, which we did. I'd say about 100 in 3 sittings. We then left some rabbits guts in the corner of an old bit of waste land to try and coax a fox out of this wood, but to no avail. Now this is when it gets messy. We left the guts after the fox failed to show and went home, thinking they would be gone by morning. When unbeknown to me a lady who rents a horse field off him, uses this waste land to walk her dogs and they found the rabbit guts in the morning! she was not happy and the farmer was a bit pissed off too. He suddenly forgets about the 100 less rabbits. Granted, it was my school boy error, but do I try make amends and go back with my tail between my legs, or say bollox you can keep your rabbit problem??

I found myself in a similar situation last week. The land owner wanted me to shoot some rabbits, which we did. I'd say about 100 in 3 sittings. We then left some rabbits guts in the corner of an old bit of waste land to try and coax a fox out of this wood, but to no avail. Now this is when it gets messy. We left the guts after the fox failed to show and went home, thinking they would be gone by morning. When unbeknown to me a lady who rents a horse field off him, uses this waste land to walk her dogs and they found the rabbit guts in the morning! she was not happy and the farmer was a bit pissed off too. He suddenly forgets about the 100 less rabbits. Granted, it was my school boy error, but do I try make amends and go back with my tail between my legs, or say bollox you can keep your rabbit problem??

Well do you want to shoot rabbits or foxes? If your there for the rabbits then dispose of the guts correctly.....if not then go find someplace else.

Jesus, over reaction of the year by the woman? Play it by there, but i'd be making sure the farmer knew how many rabbits you'd shot and how much that helps him. It's his problem if he can't explain to the tenant how much damage the rabbits are causing to his land. If he's still not happy after that, tell him to stick it up his bollox :thumbs:

be better all round to make your peace with the tennant. if you go back to the landowner that will only piss him off more :thumbs:

:hmm: Don't know who the tenent is.

We were putting a supply into a new barn on the land a few weeks back, the Landowner was there, i asked him if we could walk his land. He said yes, so i got him to sign a permo slip and highlight a map for us. He did mention he rented the land out but never said it would be a problem. To be fair to us their wasn't any stock on the fields when i asked.

The farm hand said the Landowner does tends to do things like this, he just turns up with 30 odd mates and shoots the wood nearby. Doesn't bother to tell/ask the tenent.

Guest cookiemonsterandmerlin

I have knocked alot of perms on the head as the landowner wants you to phone him then the tenant then the keeper :wallbash: you have to weight up the factor how much land do you have eg do you need the land is the land holding good numbers etc.

It all depends on the tenancy agreement who has the right to do pest control etc I would contact the tenant farmer over the landowner in this case and sort it with him as you already got landowners perm.

ATB Cookie

• Like 1
Guest Leveller

Was the woman who found the guts annoyed that guts were left there or as you say her being a "horsey woman" maybe she likes her hunting and isn't happy about people shooting foxes?

What you call wasteland may well be purposely setaside for conservation

Edited by Leveller

be better all round to make your peace with the tennant. if you go back to the landowner that will only piss him off more :thumbs:

:hmm: Don't know who the tenent is.

We were putting a supply into a new barn on the land a few weeks back, the Landowner was there, i asked him if we could walk his land. He said yes, so i got him to sign a permo slip and highlight a map for us. He did mention he rented the land out but never said it would be a problem. To be fair to us their wasn't any stock on the fields when i asked.

The farm hand said the Landowner does tends to do things like this, he just turns up with 30 odd mates and shoots the wood nearby. Doesn't bother to tell/ask the tenent.

not a good situation mate, i was like that a few years ago on a few tennented farms where the land and farms were owned by an irish lord who was into his hounds and beagles. all got very complicated and ended up not worth the hastle in the end, between the tennent, the lord and the hunt i was in a no win situation :thumbs:

We had a mooch around some new permission last evening. Had a map of where we were allowed. Permo slip signed (By Landowner) and in my pocket. Off we went.

Getting near the end of the walk we were approached by a farm hand of the Tenent. Well lets just say he wasn't very happy, Effing and Blinding about his Cows being in calf and dropping them if the dogs worried them, who told us we could be on there, good job it wasn't his boss who had found us, so on, so on. That was until we showed him the map and signed slip, then he calmed down a bit and we had a bit of banter with him, turns out my mate knew him from old.

Soured the night a little for us so we went to leave, not wanting to upset anyone else. But as we did a Women in the Horse field dext door asked if we were looking for the Footpath, we said no, we were Rabbiting. We told her we had permission of the landowner Mr Smith, to which she replied " I'm Mrs Smith." Turns out she's Mr Smiths Sister in law. Showed her the signed slip and she was alright about it......Just.

We didn't see much about and we don't really want to start a Landowner V's Tenent arguement. On the other hand we havn't got much other land to go on.

So. Do we carry on and still go there, or do we give it up as a bad job.

. Should go round and introduce your self to every farmer. And his herds men give them your numbers and contact them every time your going out the bottle a Christmas. Goes down well

It's what i would call waste land. Rough grass. And old burn heap. An old scrap plough and such like, about 10 arces in total. It's too highly and rough to farm so he just leaves it. I had another landowner/tenent problem the other month. I know the tenent who gave me pidgeon shooting permission. Whilst I was there another guy turned up, who had permission of the landowner and had done for years. Didn't realise this year he had let it. Luckily for me I knew the guy and it saved any Agro.