running a bitch in heat

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

bitches build up layers of fat particularily around the heart when they come into season in preparation for pregnancy running a bitch in season can cause all sorts of problems, greyhounds are not allo

i wouldnt mate they not mentally right when in season

you can run her still but she wont be on her normal form

bitches build up layers of fat particularily around the heart when they come into season in preparation for pregnancy running a bitch in season can cause all sorts of problems, greyhounds are not allowed to race for i think 13 weeks from 'breaking', i wouldn't run a bitch after rabbits or any other prey for that matter 'in season'. i keep mines in trim stepping up the roadwork and monitoring food intake closely, this way they come back quicker and fitter. this is just the way i was taught and it's stood me well over the years

wont go far wrong what bird dogs said and its 16 weeks from start to finsh befor a bitch is back to normal they start to carry milk and lose pace THEY CALL IT THE FLAT STOP the biggist injury a bitch will av

13 weeks every 6 months so your bitch will be out 26 weeks of the year :laugh:

thats why many if not all strains / families of racing greyhounds have been bred for generations and evolved to be once a year or less with their seasons, i've had a bitch that didn't 'break' till 4 1/2 year old and there will be lots more like that :laugh:

• Like 1

bitches build up layers of fat particularily around the heart when they come into season in preparation for pregnancy running a bitch in season can cause all sorts of problems, greyhounds are not allowed to race for i think 13 weeks from 'breaking', i wouldn't run a bitch after rabbits or any other prey for that matter 'in season'. i keep mines in trim stepping up the roadwork and monitoring food intake closely, this way they come back quicker and fitter. this is just the way i was taught and it's stood me well over the years

wont go far wrong what bird dogs said and its 16 weeks from start to finsh befor a bitch is back to normal they start to carry milk and lose pace THEY CALL IT THE FLAT STOP the biggist injury a bitch will av

on that basis of 16 weeks to get right a 6 monthly bitch would be out of action for 3/4 of the year get real the main reason they are not run on the track is that it would interfere with the dogs on the track, vets will jab a bitch to keep it out of season but she would still physically build up the layer of fat because of the biological clock but they would still be run

the jab is hormonal based to stop the whole process, the fat build up and as you put it the biological clock, the smell thing interfering with a dog would be gone after about 4 wks

100 days!!!! what happens to dogs in the wild then, no hunting and just a few trips to asda.

we don't have wild dogs, they would still be able to hunt, a drop in performance of say 10% would still make them capable of catching prey and providing for themselves and their families but the same drop in performance in a racing bitch would be disasterous, and our dogs live to be twice or three times the age of a wild dog because we understand these things and are able to control them by going to asda for dog food

Always ran mine on the lamp no bother at all,Last time i read a subject on here about this some lad was saying not to run them for 3 months thats half your season gone.Run the dog stop when shes tired unless your racing greyhounds a 100th of seconds count.

running them 'in season' is fine and as far as i know there is no real risk, but physically its the post season period from about 6wks in that problems start, many bitches go soft and flabby due to all the hormonal changes this not only causes a drop in performance, granted perhaps not enough to stop them catching lamped rabbits when 100th's don't matter but it also because of the loss of muscle tone makes the risk of strains pulls and ruptures very real, especially in very driven animals which most lurchers are or should be. it may be coincidence but every serious muscle injury ive seen in bitches has happened just as they were coming back, maybe 12 or 14 wks after breaking down, maybe the muscles were not quite at peak level but whatever the cause a dropped muscle or gracillis injury would mean losing more than 100th's not just for a few weeks but for good

• Like 1

it was me who posted it before i asked loads of people who are into dogs about it and only a few said what some of you said.dont mind the slight drop in performance but what about any effect on the bitch are there any serious or permanent damage they can do.ps sorry for jumping on your topic but seems like a few of these know what they on about

• Like 1

it was me who posted it before i asked loads of people who are into dogs about it and only a few said what some of you said.dont mind the slight drop in performance but what about any effect on the bitch are there any serious or permanent damage they can do.ps sorry for jumping on your topic but seems like a few of these know what they on about

penny taylor's 'running dog maintenance' has a whole chapter devoted to bitches seasons and the effects on the body, but i'd guess that many greyhound training manuals will have lots of gen, but theres always good old google the 'net' is full of onfo on this including proper scientific papers

I was a greyhound breeder and trainer for many years and I can tell you that a bitch will usually run better and faster early on in her season.

A racing bitch would often find 3-4 lengths and sometimes more within 10 days of coming in season. I would never have raced them once they reached the point when they'd stand for a dog, but many gambles were landed with bitches up to that point.

Some race bitches have had a litter of pups and came back to racing, better and faster than ever before, once they'd rested and recovered sufficiently. Hard to justify, but I've seen it on a number of occasions.

The possible drop in 'performance' for the average 'WORKING DOG' would not make much difference to a nights lamping or a days Ferreting or Mooching. It is a pain if you want to go out 'in company', but other than that it makes very little difference to the quality of 'sport' you will get. Although this Site does have some good contributors, there are others who think too much.....lol.

The Greyhound boys are very knowledgable, although I have heard some shite at some Tracks I have occasionally been to, but they are talking about a drop in performance. A drop of a second in the Bitches time is a few lengths in a Race, could be a loss of hundreds of pounds!! When after Rabbits or the odd chase on an accidental Hare, it just means a bit of disappointment or relief, depending on the prey.

• Like 1

The possible drop in 'performance' for the average 'WORKING DOG' would not make much difference to a nights lamping or a days Ferreting or Mooching. It is a pain if you want to go out 'in company', but other than that it makes very little difference to the quality of 'sport' you will get. Although this Site does have some good contributors, there are others who think too much.....lol.

The Greyhound boys are very knowledgable, although I have heard some shite at some Tracks I have occasionally been to, but they are talking about a drop in performance. A drop of a second in the Bitches time is a few lengths in a Race, could be a loss of hundreds of pounds!! When after Rabbits or the odd chase on an accidental Hare, it just means a bit of disappointment or relief, depending on the prey.

:yes:

25 years only had 2 dogs one of those didn't even go out lamping twice because of injury,The rest all bitches never really noticed that much difference in behavior or running maybe i have been lucky.Any dogs run can be its last no point trying to get to complected about it,If its not broke don't fix it.

I leave the complicated science bit for the vet and i just get out and do the reason i have the bloody dog.If a dogs injured i know if it ain't its doing what it loves doing.