Birr Castle Game Fair Last Week End Saturday and Sunday 25th and 26th of August

Birr Castle is a large Castle in the town of Birr Co Offaly, The Castle is the seat of the Earls of Rosse, the Seventh of whom still lives in the castle to this day. There has been a Castle on this site since 1170. From the 14th to the 17th century the O'Carroll family was in residence. After the death of Sir Charles O'Carroll, Sir Laurence Parsons was granted Birr Castle and 1,277 acres of land When Parsons took over the Castle, he engaged several masons and a large work force in the construction of a new Castle . This construction took place at the gatehouse of the site. "Flankers" were added to the gatehouse diagonally at either side, giving the Castle the plan it retains today. And what a beautiful site this is. This was the venue last weekend for the annual Irish Game & Country Fair.

We had an early start on Sunday morning, with the alarm clock going off at 4.00am. After dogs walked, trailer and car loaded up, we set off with Mickey and Michael Quinn from Lurgan following the leader. We headed for the motorway and at Newry we were joined by Rab Greer and a car load of men from Newtownards, Co Down, who also followed us all the way to Birr. We arrived at Birr Castle three and a half hours later around 9.30am, and hooked up with all the rest of the good northern people who had already travelled down the day before for the racing. This was the start of a beautiful day for us at Birr Castle Game Fair. God was good to us on Sunday, with the weather being brilliant for most of the day, with the exception of a few small showers in the late evening.

We had a good walk around the game fair, had our breakfast in “Foodies “ Marquee restaurant, which was delicious and good value. We visited Charlie Keenan and Outdoor Expierence from Portadown, and on around the many marquees and food halls on site, and picked up some good bargains along the way.

I stopped off along the way and had a chat with Emmet Mc Court. Emmet was hard at his work with his beautiful, tasty food, but still made time to have a chat with me. It is nice to meet nice people. On along the way I met up with Paul Pringle and his lovely wife, who were really enjoying the show. Paul remarked to me, how friendly the people were at Birr and the lovely Fair astrosphere, and I would have to agree with him 100%. I spoke to Neil Cooney at the I.W.T.F site. Neil is such a nice person and so dedicated to the cause. Keep behind him lad and Lassies, because Neil truly has your interest at heart. There was a very large crowd in attendance at the show, so just arrived back from the Fair in time for the digging competition.

The digging competition started at 12.30 noon, and it certainly drummed up a lot of interest, and attracted a very large audience. This was one of the highlights of the day in my opinion. The audience got into action with the diggers , cheering them on, and giving them loads of encouragement all the way, while their ladies supplied them with water. As the master of cermonies, counted down the last 5 seconds, you could hear and feel the air of excitement among the crowd. What a great moment. Spades and pickaxes laid down for this year, the digging was measured and the winners were declared.

A Big Congratulations to :

Paddy Gilmore

Shane Larkin

The winning Team and well deserved winners. The entertainment was 100% and well done to both men.

Also congratulations to the other 3 teams who took part. They were:

a/ Peter Morgan

Dee Maguire

b/ Shane Gilmartin

Keith Breen

c/ Sean Fowler

Seamus Baird

You were all winners and gave 100% on the day, and well done to all. Albertj Titterington was there to congratulate the winners and all the teams that took part on the day.

I will start with some racing Results from Saturday.

Whippets

Gavin and Ryan Wright with Bolt

Terrier Crossbred Novice Race

Charlene Rafferty with Buffy

Lurchers

Under 21

Fiona Devlin with Angel

Over 23

John Humphries with Rebel

Under 23

John Humphries with China

Novice Race

Donie Troy Roscrea

Terriers

1/ Young Man ( Liam Toal )

2/ Bryan Scully with Barney

A big congratulations to John Humphries, Gavin Wright and Donie Troy and Liam Toal ( Young Man) on your big wins. All great dogs and wonderful people.

Some random results from the showing on Sunday.

Family Dog Show – Childrens handling class.

1/ Calum Mc Hugh

2/ Poppy Mc Vitty

Congratulations to the winners and to all the children that took part. Some sleepy little people last night.

Ladies handling Class

1/ Erin Hereghan

Gents Handling Class

1/ Michael Gilmartin

TerrierS

Terrier pups under 1 yr old

1/ Carol Mc Gee

Terrier under 12”

Peter Morgan

Terrier Pairs

1/ Tom Cahill

2/ Peter Morgan

Working Terrier

1/ Dennis Kelly

Jack Russell Bitch over 1yr

1/ Timmy Hennessy

Lakeland Type Dog or Bitch

1/ Declan Wallace

2/ Peter Morgan

Border Dog or Bitch over 1 yr

1/ Tom Power

Fell or Patterdale

1/ Dennis Kelly

Cross Breed Dog or Bitch

1/ Damien Kelly

Champion Terrier

Declan Wallace

Congratulations Declan , a very worthy winner

Lurchers

Lurcher Pup under 1 year

1/ Sam Hennessy

Whippet type Lurcher Dog or Bitch

1/ Fiona Devlin

Best Pair of Lurchers

1/ Graham Brennan

Any Variety Lamping Lurcher

1/ Michael Quinn

Smooth Lurcher over 23

1/ Jed Donagh

Rough Lurcher over 23

1/ April Dickinson

2/ Glenn Doherty

Rough or Smooth Lurcher under 23

1/ Steven Dummigan

2/ Charlene Rafferty

Collie Lurcher

1/ Jed Donagh

Terrier Breed Lurcher

1/ Graham Brennan

Vetern Lurcher

1/ Donnie Troy

2/ Graham Brennan

Champion Lurcher

Michael Quinn ( This also qualified Michael to go forward to the Five Nations at Birr Castle )

Reserve

Jed Donagh

A big congratulations to both men, and both worthy winners and well done .

Michaels dad Mickey Quinn is one happy fellow, and a very proud father.

Whippets

Whippet Pups Dog

1/ Tony Ennis

Whippet Pups Bitch

1/ John Mc Stay

Whippet Dog over 1yr old

1/ Mark O Neill

Whippet Bitch over 1 yr old

1/ Tony Ennis

Working Whippet Dog

1/ Nigel Bradish

Working Whippet Bitch

1/ Tom Quinn

Champion Whippet

Mark O Neill

A big congratulation to Mark, and a very worthy winner.

Overall Show Champion Birr Castle 2012

Declan Wallace

Reserve

Mark O Neill

A big congratulations to both men and their winning dogs and well done.

· And now on to the Five Nations, The Big One of the day.

Here are the 7 qualifers at Birr Castle

Graham Brennan with Gypsy

Fiona Devlin with Maverick

Steven Dummigan with Dash

Michael Quinn with Paddy

Kieran Lynch with Storm

Michael Hicks with Mo Chara

Eimear O Meara with Heidi

And the Winner was none other than our own :

Fiona Devlin with Maverick, from Dungannon in Northern Ireland. Fiona ,we are so proud of you. A very worthy winner. It is great to see us females taking our place among the greats in the Canine world. Congratulations Fiona and Maverick, and well done. I am sure a bottle of vino was opened in the Devlin household last night.

Reserve went to :

Graham Brennan with Gypsy from Dublin. A big congratulations Graham. Gypsy owes you nothing. She has done you so proud on so many occasions both North and South of the border. A well deserved winner, and well done Graham and Gypsy. I would say the wine was opened in your house last night also Graham.

PS. Congratulations to yourself Graham and Ann on the occasion of your engagement, and may you have many happy years together. “As Robbie Williams song says “shes the one”

And congratulations to all the qualifers.

And Finally, I would like to congratulate the brilliant judges on the day for a job well done. Neil Cooney, Paul Reynolds and Seamus Cairns, The Judges in the 5 Nations Kieran Young, Pat Lee and Steven Mc Gonigle, you all done a first class job, and carried out your duties with fairness and perfection. To the Roscrea Team, a very efficent crew of people who carried out their duties at the show with sheer grit and determination, and in a very professional manner. A job well done, A special word of thanks to David on the Roscrea team, who kept me updated with all the results. Thanks David, you are a star. Bluebell (Deidre Mc Coy) and Billy Harpur were there clicking away with their cameras, and capturing our moments of glory. Hopefully we will see them up shortly and many thanks for that.

And Finally, finally, I always leave the best to last. This accolade goes out to Albertj Titterington and his lovely wife Irene, and their Co Directors for a great weekend in Birr. Albertj without you and your brilliant team of helpers this would not be possible. So many of our Canine folk look forward to your 3 Great Game Fairs of the year, Ballywalter, Shanes Castle, and Birr Castle, and now through the dark cold days and nights of winter and when the snow hits the window, we will gather round the fire, and reminnis about our moments of glory at your Game Fairs, and all the other Dog shows and organisers up and down the country who also gave us so much joy and entertainment during the year. Albert, May you and Irene have good health and happiness for many years to come and continue to run your top Game Fairs also for many years to come. Albert you do so much for Country sports, and work so hard behind the scenes to make things happen. Of this we are truly grateful. Thanks for all the lovely memories of this year, and look forward to seeing you again in 2013 God willing.

Margaret Mc Stay

Edited by appleblossom
  • Like 4

Thank you for a great report on your day, evrything but what direction you wiped your arse lololol So glad the sun was back up in that sky as sometimes it seems to just shine from dedries ass We only seen the show on sunday and missed the racin on saturday Did you forget the un21 result :hmm: or was there not any racing them Glad there was no squabblin as it seems quiet which is good Albert me new pal i did speak to you also my wife thinks you are a bit of an ol cad :thumbs: Well done with your show we plan to stay for both days next year

Thanks Wetnoseman for reminding me about the under 21s. i only put up random results,most of the time I get all of them, but sometimes I dont. I am far from perfect, but I do my best. I know you have a hatred for me Wetnoseman, but I do not think that way about you or anybody. I was brought up in the backwoods of Monaghan, and was taught to respect everybodys point of view and to have respect for all law abiding citizens. You seem to know so much about me,why did you not come up to me yesterday and say hello. I am a forgiveing person,whos life has been dogged with sickness and tragedy. Dogs are our lifes. As my husband and I are getting on in life now and at this present moment are enjoying good health , dogs are an outlet for us and gets us away from the trials tribulations of life. I enjoy writing for the good Canine people of Ireland and further a field on this forum. After all of this, why do you give me such a hard time on this forum, when all I tend to do is bring some joy into the living rooms of so many good folk on this forum. I will continue to write for these good people to the good lord calls me

Edited by appleblossom
  • Like 2

1. wetnoseman let margaret and deidire alone its because of you there is no photos they put alot of effort into the shows and get no thanks for it.you have f..ked it up for everybody on t h l your just a w..ker god help you if you are found out. hope you are at birr next year there will be a new digging competition to see who can put you in the deepest. i dont know why you have not got put off here. your very sick wise up

Birr Castle is a large Castle in the town of Birr Co Offaly, The Castle is the seat of the Earls of Rosse, the Seventh of whom still lives in the castle to this day. There has been a Castle on this site since 1170. From the 14th to the 17th century the O'Carroll family was in residence. After the death of Sir Charles O'Carroll, Sir Laurence Parsons was granted Birr Castle and 1,277 acres of land When Parsons took over the Castle, he engaged several masons and a large work force in the construction of a new Castle . This construction took place at the gatehouse of the site. "Flankers" were added to the gatehouse diagonally at either side, giving the Castle the plan it retains today. And what a beautiful site this is. This was the venue last weekend for the annual Irish Game & Country Fair.

We had an early start on Sunday morning, with the alarm clock going off at 4.00am. After dogs walked, trailer and car loaded up, we set off with Mickey and Michael Quinn from Lurgan following the leader. We headed for the motorway and at Newry we were joined by Rab Greer and a car load of men from Newtownards, Co Down, who also followed us all the way to Birr. We arrived at Birr Castle three and a half hours later around 9.30am, and hooked up with all the rest of the good northern people who had already travelled down the day before for the racing. This was the start of a beautiful day for us at Birr Castle Game Fair. God was good to us on Sunday, with the weather being brilliant for most of the day, with the exception of a few small showers in the late evening.

We had a good walk around the game fair, had our breakfast in “Foodies “ Marquee restaurant, which was delicious and good value. We visited Charlie Keenan and Outdoor Expierence from Portadown, and on around the many marquees and food halls on site, and picked up some good bargains along the way.

I stopped off along the way and had a chat with Emmet Mc Court. Emmet was hard at his work with his beautiful, tasty food, but still made time to have a chat with me. It is nice to meet nice people. On along the way I met up with Paul Pringle and his lovely wife, who were really enjoying the show. Paul remarked to me, how friendly the people were at Birr and the lovely Fair astrosphere, and I would have to agree with him 100%. I spoke to Neil Cooney at the I.W.T.F site. Neil is such a nice person and so dedicated to the cause. Keep behind him lad and Lassies, because Neil truly has your interest at heart. There was a very large crowd in attendance at the show, so just arrived back from the Fair in time for the digging competition.

The digging competition started at 12.30 noon, and it certainly drummed up a lot of interest, and attracted a very large audience. This was one of the highlights of the day in my opinion. The audience got into action with the diggers , cheering them on, and giving them loads of encouragement all the way, while their ladies supplied them with water. As the master of cermonies, counted down the last 5 seconds, you could hear and feel the air of excitement among the crowd. What a great moment. Spades and pickaxes laid down for this year, the digging was measured and the winners were declared.

Paddy Gilmore

Shane Larkin

The winning Team and well deserved winners. The entertainment was 100% and well done to both men.

a/ Peter Morgan

Dee Maguire

b/ Shane Gilmartin

Keith Breen

c/ Sean Fowler

Seamus Baird

You were all winners and gave 100% on the day, and well done to all. Albertj Titterington was there to congratulate the winners and all the teams that took part on the day.

Whippets

Gavin Wright with Bolt

Lurchers

Under 21

Fiona Devlin with Angel

Over 23

Under 23

Novice Race

Donie Troy Roscrea

Terriers ?

If anybody knows the Terrier winner, pm me and I will edit them in.

A big congratulations to John Humphries, Gavin Wright and Donie Troy on your big wins. All greatdogs and wonderful people.

1/ Calum Mc Hugh

2/ Poppy Mc Vitty

Congratulations to the winners and to all the children that took part. Some sleepy little people last night.

Ladies handling Class

1/ Erin Hereghan

Gents Handling Class

1/ Michael Gilmartin

TerrierS

1/ Carol Mc Gee

Terrier under 12”

Peter Morgan

Terrier Pairs

1/ Tom Cahill

2/ Peter Morgan

Working Terrier

1/ Dennis Kelly

1/ Timmy Hennessy

1/ Declan Wallace

2/ Peter Morgan

1/ Tom Power

Fell or Patterdale

1/ Dennis Kelly

Cross Breed Dog or Bitch

1/ Damien Kelly

Champion Terrier

Declan Wallace

Lurchers

Lurcher Pup under 1 year

1/ Sam Hennessy

1/ Fiona Devlin

Best Pair of Lurchers

1/ Graham Brennan

1/ Michael Quinn

Smooth Lurcher over 23

1/ Jed Donagh

Rough Lurcher over 23

1/ April Dickinson

2/ Glenn Doherty

1/ Steven Dummigan

2/ Charlene Rafferty

Collie Lurcher

1/ Jed Donagh

Terrier Breed Lurcher

1/ Graham Brennan

Vetern Lurcher

1/ Donnie Troy

2/ Graham Brennan

Champion Lurcher

Michael Quinn ( This also qualified Michael to go forward to the Five Nations at Birr Castle )

Reserve

Jed Donagh

Whippets

Whippet Pups Dog

1/ Tony Ennis

Whippet Pups Bitch

1/ John Mc Stay

Whippet Dog over 1yr old

1/ Mark O Neill

1/ Tony Ennis

Working Whippet Dog

1/ Nigel Bradish

Working Whippet Bitch

1/ Tom Quinn

Champion Whippet

Mark O Neill

Declan Wallace

Reserve

Mark O Neill

Michael Quinn with Paddy

Kieran Lynch with Storm

Fiona Devlin with Maverick, from Dungannon in Northern Ireland. Fiona ,we are so proud of you. A very worthy winner. It is great to see us females taking our place among the greats in the Canine world. Congratulations Fiona and Maverick, and well done. I am sure a bottle of vino was opened in the Devlin household last night.

Reserve went to :

Graham Brennan with Gypsy from Dublin. A big congratulations Graham. Gypsy owes you nothing. She has done you so proud on so many occasions both North and South of the border. A well deserved winner, and well done Graham and Gypsy. I would say the wine was opened in your house last night also Graham.

PS. Congratulations to yourself Graham and Ann on the occasion of your engagement, and may you have many happy years together. “As Robbie Williams song says “shes the one”

And Finally, I would like to congratulate the brilliant judges on the day for a job well done. Neil Cooney, Paul Reynolds and Seamus Cairns, The Judges in the 5 Nations Kieran Young, Pat Lee and Steven Mc Gonigle, you all done a first class job, and carried out your duties with fairness and perfection. To the Roscrea Team, a very efficent crew of people who carried out their duties at the show with sheer grit and determination, and in a very professional manner. A job well done, A special word of thanks to David on the Roscrea team, who kept me updated with all the results. Thanks David, you are a star. Bluebell (Deidre Mc Coy) and Billy Harpur were there clicking away with their cameras, and capturing our moments of glory. Hopefully we will see them up shortly and many thanks for that.

And Finally, finally, I always leave the best to last. This accolade goes out to Albertj Titterington and his lovely wife Irene, and their Co Directors for a great weekend in Birr. Albertj without you and your brilliant team of helpers this would not be possible. So many of our Canine folk look forward to your 3 Great Game Fairs of the year, Ballywalter, Shanes Castle, and Birr Castle, and now through the dark cold days and nights of winter and when the snow hits the window, we will gather round the fire, and reminnis about our moments of glory at your Game Fairs, and all the other Dog shows and organisers up and down the country who also gave us so much joy and entertainment during the year. Albert, May you and Irene have good health and happiness for many years to come and continue to run your top Game Fairs also for many years to come. Albert you do so much for Country sports, and work so hard behind the scenes to make things happen. Of this we are truly grateful. Thanks for all the lovely memories of this year, and look forward to seeing you again in 2013 God willing.

Margaret Mc Stay

Thanks Margaret,great write up as usual ,I was thinking of asking Albert could we tie the knot at the fair in Birr next year,and have the reception in the Beer tent that night :laugh:

• Like 2

Paddy Gilmore

Shane Larkin

a/ Peter Morgan

Dee Maguire

b/ Shane Gilmartin

Keith Breen

c/ Sean Fowler

Seamus Baird

Whippets

Gavin Wright with Bolt

Lurchers

Under 21

Fiona Devlin with Angel

Over 23

Under 23

Novice Race

Donie Troy Roscrea

Terriers ?

If anybody knows the Terrier winner, pm me and I will edit them in.

A big congratulations to John Humphries, Gavin Wright and Donie Troy on your big wins. All greatdogs and wonderful people.

1/ Calum Mc Hugh

2/ Poppy Mc Vitty

Ladies handling Class

1/ Erin Hereghan

Gents Handling Class

1/ Michael Gilmartin

TerrierS

1/ Carol Mc Gee

Terrier under 12”

Peter Morgan

Terrier Pairs

1/ Tom Cahill

2/ Peter Morgan

Working Terrier

1/ Dennis Kelly

1/ Timmy Hennessy

1/ Declan Wallace

2/ Peter Morgan

1/ Tom Power

Fell or Patterdale

1/ Dennis Kelly

Cross Breed Dog or Bitch

1/ Damien Kelly

Champion Terrier

Declan Wallace

Lurchers

Lurcher Pup under 1 year

1/ Sam Hennessy

1/ Fiona Devlin

Best Pair of Lurchers

1/ Graham Brennan

1/ Michael Quinn

Smooth Lurcher over 23

1/ Jed Donagh

Rough Lurcher over 23

1/ April Dickinson

2/ Glenn Doherty

1/ Steven Dummigan

2/ Charlene Rafferty

Collie Lurcher

1/ Jed Donagh

Terrier Breed Lurcher

1/ Graham Brennan

Vetern Lurcher

1/ Donnie Troy

2/ Graham Brennan

Champion Lurcher

Reserve

Jed Donagh

Whippets

Whippet Pups Dog

1/ Tony Ennis

Whippet Pups Bitch

1/ John Mc Stay

Whippet Dog over 1yr old

1/ Mark O Neill

1/ Tony Ennis

Working Whippet Dog

1/ Nigel Bradish

Working Whippet Bitch

1/ Tom Quinn

Champion Whippet

Mark O Neill

Declan Wallace

Reserve

Mark O Neill

Michael Quinn with Paddy

Kieran Lynch with Storm

Reserve went to :

Margaret Mc Stay

Thanks Margaret,great write up as usual ,I was thinking of asking Albert could we tie the knot at the fair in Birr next year,and have the reception in the Beer tent that night :laugh:

Graham,

As Runner Up in the FN Championship for two years I have other plans for you! AND there will be some extra special attractions and opportunities for Knot tying at our 2013 THREE DAY FESTIVAL! Give me a call or drop me your number to irishgamefair@btinternet - I have a few prizes for you.

Albert

Thank you for a great report on your day, evrything but what direction you wiped your arse lololol So glad the sun was back up in that sky as sometimes it seems to just shine from dedries ass We only seen the show on sunday and missed the racin on saturday Did you forget the un21 result :hmm: or was there not any racing them Glad there was no squabblin as it seems quiet which is good Albert me new pal i did speak to you also my wife thinks you are a bit of an ol cad :thumbs: Well done with your show we plan to stay for both days next year

WNM,

Margaret is a REAL ray of sunshine in what is increasingly a rather horrible world - peopled by those who cannot see any good in others or wish others well. She and her husband are the sort of people who rather restore my faith in human nature long may they ignore the spite of others.

I see you didn't have the courtesy to thank her for congratulating you on your win.

Sorry that your 'wife' had to carry a bag of meal - if you were a man at all you would have carried it - if I hadn't been so busy I would have shown you up and done it it for her - tell her I think she deserves much better!

Albertj

albert i won an eyespy on the way to maccydees sunday teatime thats all lololol oh and a "stick the van in the tyre track" cup :toast:

WNM,

I know that deep down you are not a bad lad but you should remember your manners when dealing with ladies - that is the true definition of a gentleman or a cad!

If you don't stop abusing Margaret, who is a real lady and should be treated as such, I may unmask you and let some of the other 'ladies' sort you out!

Albertj

• Like 1