Make your own leather conditioner

Hello.I would want to ask you something about the leather conditioner .First of all i am from a poor country where we don't have good products for leather,We don't have any leathercare products (except a few pastes for boots from Turkey which is not so good) . I am just wondering is it possible to use this leather conditioner not only to condition the leather but also to use it as a FINISH to protect my leather from dirt,dust,water,UV etc.I want to make a leather items that will be exposed to tough environmental conditions and i need a product that can protect them from the elements because i can't afford to buy Finishes like Fiebing RESOLENE or Snow Proof.Is it possible to make my own leather conditioner/finish that will be as good as commersial ones (as Fiebing RESOLENE for example).

Thank you and i hope to answer me :)

• Like 1

I am considering to make the recept mentioned by unicornleather.I think it is a very good one.I just will add some pitch or colophon to the mixture and may be lanolin.How much lanolin should i add to the mixture can you tell me ? . A friend of mine told me that waxes can't stand rough environmental conditions.For example according to him beeswax tend to crack in winter time and tend to liquify during the summer.Is that true ? .

• Like 1

I am considering to make the recept mentioned by unicornleather.I think it is a very good one.I just will add some pitch or colophon to the mixture and may be lanolin.How much lanolin should i add to the mixture can you tell me ? . A friend of mine told me that waxes can't stand rough environmental conditions.For example according to him beeswax tend to crack in winter time and tend to liquify during the summer.Is that true ? .

Yes it can, if it's too runny put it in the fridge to firm it up a little before you use it, it the cold weather shove it on a radiator for a while to warm it up and soften it, Oz

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Do you think animals fats and beeswax would be suitable to use on a fresh tanned deerskin? Am currently using blended neatsfoot oil to help soften the hide...

If you use plain animal fats don't they smell? I have access to lots of suet I could render to put on my leather boots. I have used my homemade face cream on everything leather and it is full of different vegetable waxes and oils, is this bad?

Thanks for reading