I THINK anybody who starts a thread on an open foram is inviting people to comment on their post

.Be it positive or negitive ......

If i wanted to thank somebody for something ,I would talk to them face to face or give them a buz

THATS JUST ME

yes your right but this topic as i said was about thanking the organisers NOT who organises the bigest show , !! which it has turned into ??? who care the comments made has nothing to with the i.w.t.f, again as i said start a new topic or leave it to pm's

atb sounder

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Have you any other suggestions for a young club (only a few short weeks) to potentially meet 30,000 people and get their name and cause known. If you do please let me know. Credit should be given wh

Ok i might of being a bit hard on neil . But being asked to pay 15 EURO into a game fair so you can pay 10 euro to the IWTF dosnt seem right Being asked to pay 15 EURO in to support a rise campaign

any help for the terrier cause is time well spent keep er lit lads

Were you at the Game Fair in Borris Albert or do you only attend shows that you have a financial interest in ? I attend Birr every year and always enjoy it but I also attend other shows that are equally as good! I am sick to death of you continually blowing your own trumpet and knocking other shows! By the way the lurcher and terrier show in Borris was far better attended with many more dogs than Birr this year ! All the best Garret

CH,

I am responsible for the promotion of our fairs although as a marketing led organisation we all contribute to the marketing effort wherever and whenever we can. We do not make exaggerated claims about our events we deliver on them - two of them this year at Shanes & Birr against a backdrop of appalling conditions. Did we lose control of our sites - no we did not because of a masssive effort by our team and our sheer professionalism - we plan for bad weather and hope for good not the other way round. . I am proud of our events and even prouder of the team that delivers them - not just me.

I was not at Borris as we were at the Lough's Agency Angling show promoting the Birr event to anglers with our 'Year of the Salmon & Trout theme'. Three of my colleagues went to Borris. Of course I/we go to many other shows and we exhibit at several events throughout the year and sponsor even more.. I didn't knock Borris just said it was smaller than Birr with a much smaller attendance - which is a fact and demonstrated by the photos and videos I have seen and the posts on facebook including by Mike Yardley who was demonstrating there !

However if you wish to really see 'Knocking copy' why not type game fair Borris into your browser and you will get this

'irishgamefair.com Borris

www.nationalcountryfair.ie/Cached - Similar

You +1'd this publicly. Undo

National Country Fair Borris House, Visit the Carlow game fair, Ireland's leading game fair, the National Country Fair at Borris House in Co. Carlow'

Now irishgamefair.com is not only our domain name for the Shanes Castle Fair but an established brand supported by a registered trademark - do you think this is professional friendly behaviour by another event organiser apparently wishing to 'steal' our identity and/or cause confusion? Secondly do you see the claim made when the event hadn't taken place yet except as not a great event at Ballinlough - of Borris being 'Ireland's leading game fair'.

We make no apology for factually rebutting such claims wherever and whenever possible - if you feel this is blowing our own trumpet so be it.

I don't know about the lurchers & terriers event at Borris as my colleagues didn't go to it as I understand this competition was held outside of the fair. But if it did get a good turnout well done to Ian who does work hard to run good events.

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

JimJIm,

Of course I/we use every opportunity to promote our events - as does every other organiser. That is what good marketing is all about - and that is why we deliver the two largest country sports events in Ireland year after year for over 34 years. Our team are all marketing/promotions focused and we all work hard to get the message out whenever and wherever we can. The sporting organisations recognise that we do a great job in promoting and defending country sports and that we provide a great platform for them to meet their members and make new ones and so do the animal rights people who would love to be able to organise public events of the size and status of our events. That is nothing that any self respecting country sports enthusiast should cringe about!

We do not claim we have the largest sports gatherings - certainly GAA matches can attract larger audiences - but we do organise the largest country sports gatherings in Ireland - FACT.

Of course lots of people run sporting events and I applaud each and every one of them because I know how hard it is to run events properly with increasing legislation, real economic hardship and dire weather.

we do not use the lurchers & terriers as an attraction but because we think they should be an integral part of the country sports community and should be treated as such. Are they a major public attraction - NO .

Look at the number of members of the public at Birr watching the gundogs and even the clay shooting compared to watching the terriers & lurchers and you will see how attractive they are to the general public. In fact some event organisers think they are actually offputting to the public and thats why they put them outside of the show. I can assure you in our research with the public terriers & lurchers as an attraction are very far down the list of why the public attend our events!

When we actually tot up what it costs to put on the terriers and lurchers in terms of share of ground rental, share of promotional costs , judges expenses and prizes - they actually contribute very little if anything to overall profits ( if any) bearing in mind we pay all of the expenses and the organising club take the entry fees.

Ask any event organiser this year including the Scottish fair, CLA Fair , Great Yorkshire Show etc how much they risk by organising a show and how much they can lose. Survival was the name of the game in 2012!

AND fact - we were the first to run major terrier and lurcher shows - in 1980 - and over the years and we will continue running them and promoting them as an integral part of country sports and our game fairs. AND we will continue to promote and advertise our events in the manner that we deem appropriate and the manner in which has won us several marketing and tourism awards.

Albertj

no albert you do not organise the largest gathering if irish sports people , you cannot in fairness say that , yes the events are large and on par with some, surely the tullamore show would be the largest in ireland , the killag and the tinahealy are on par or larger. stop twisting my words i said i cringe when you use the word largest when it clearly is not. yes albert you do a great job well done. but well done to the many other larger and as big as shows too like tullamore and tinahealy. as for the costs the game fairs in england and wales which i have attended charge £15 on the gate and every class you enter is free after that, you can enter as many dogs and as many class as you like for free. as for lurcher and terriers not being a public attraction i lost my voice explaining how my lurcher was crossed at borris show to the general public the dog was a real chick magnet so much so my friend wanted to lead him around for a while, may not be the biggest attraction but an attraction none the less.

JImJIm,

Tullamore and Tinahealy are not country sports shows they are country shows based primarily on agriculture. I did not say we run the largest sporting shows but the largest country sports ones. I don't think many would describe Tullamore or Tinahealy as either sporting or country sports event. I repeat the fact that we organise the largest country sports events in Ireland.

I don't know what game fairs you go to in England with free classes but as far as I am aware Scone, CLA and Midland cost more and do NOT have free classes except for pre qualified classes - which is similar to ourselves. As any one not pre entered or qualified at our show pay the same admission fee ( except for terriers & lurchers I offer a special pre paid two day ticket) what they do when they enter the fair is up to them - they can enter the clay pigeon shooting, the fly casting, archery, or the terriers & lurchers with the club organising the event taking all entry fees. It is your choice what you do when you come into the fair.

You mention Borris - I understand that you did not have to go into the fair to enter your dog in the terrier & lurcher event - was entry to the classes free? Did the prizes compare to Birr? If you went into the fair at Borris - was that free? So if you went to Borris entered your dog in some classes and then paid entry into the fair - was it really much different to going to Birr except Birr was much larger, had better prizes, ringside parking for terrier and lurcher inside the fair and a bit less mud!

I am pleased that there was so much public interest in your dog at borris - it shows that since we staged the first major terrier & lurcher show at Clandeboye in 1980 and other events every year for 34 years over 51 fairs people are more interested in terriers & lurchers BUT would they pay €15 specfically to come to see them - or that they be one of the reasons the public come to the show - I don't only think not - I know so because every person or family gets a questionnaire to fill in and T&L while of interest to you and me don't figure in the top 10 reasons for attending the show! However it is good that the public don't feel threatened by lurchers and terriers and are gradually getting an understanding of them and people like you walking them round fairs and discussing them does help create a good image. That's why I felt the IWTF at the fairs was both good for them, and good for the defence of working dogs.

I feel that it is very important to have terriers & lurchers at our events and to involve them in our PR, press conferences and promotions - really the only major show in Ireland to do so. Because it enables the public who attend our shows to see them in a neutral setting and in a lot of ways overcomes the negative images generated by our opponents.

Albertj

one larger event , clonmel is a large irish country sporting event. where the real master mcgrath used to run. albert the agricultural shows are large country sporting events too, look at the amount of classes, any competition is sport in my book, when they involve country persuit's they are both country and sporting. i didnt say borris was bigger or smaller but it was large and yes there was plenty of mud but us hunting people are used to it., i suppose we better stop our debate for fear of upsetting other people on here. finally i do enjoy the game fairs and any of the many irish country sporting events. yours in sport jimjim ps got the tux all set now , and thank you for your good wishes.

Jim Jim,

I see we are arguing how events are defined - you have your definition and I have mine. I do not think there is any point in arguing at cross purposes.

I hope you have a job to go with your graduation - as an ex university lecturer it saddens me to see how many young people of ability are having so much difficulty in the job market. You appear to have great persistence and that will help!

Anyway whether we run the largest country sports events in Ireland or are amongst some of the larger country events in Ireland we were delighted to facilitate the IWTF at our events. I wish the organisation great success in the future and as I have said stand ready to help them in any way we can.

I think that is something we can agree on.

Albertj

Edited by AlbertJ

I think this forum is proof of how well the IWTF have done in the recent months,back in jan-feb time when stopend and the other lads got talking about it,there were a lot of naysayers and like here alot of silly arguments that had nothing to do with the actual fact that countrysports is changing fast and is under closer watch by the day and that there needed to be some type of group set as a voice hence the IWTF was born, it could of went like posts on here and decended into silly fallouts after a week as was forecast ,but under a serious threat these members have pulled together to the point where longrunning organizations are looking and thinking more serious about them by the day. debates are great on here sometimes but they all go the same way after a page or two,someone with very little to do insults someone else and the antis are back lauging on the floor. As most of you know i ran the digging final at birr and i have to say that albert and co were more help than they needed to be this is not defending him as hes well able to do that for himself but like the IWTF i have to thank him and do so on this forum.when i thought of the digging a lot said it would never take off that no one would enter,well they did and it has went well going from the side of the mountain in mourne to birr county offaly and already i have shows in england looking to enter next year so hopfully its here to stay just like i think the IWTF is also here now for the long haul.its time to stand up and be open about genuine terrierwork and promote it in the good light. so best of luck lads and have a good season ahead.

Edited by tango
  • Like 1

JimJIm,

Of course I/we use every opportunity to promote our events - as does every other organiser. That is what good marketing is all about - and that is why we deliver the two largest country sports events in Ireland year after year for over 34 years. Our team are all marketing/promotions focused and we all work hard to get the message out whenever and wherever we can. The sporting organisations recognise that we do a great job in promoting and defending country sports and that we provide a great platform for them to meet their members and make new ones and so do the animal rights people who would love to be able to organise public events of the size and status of our events. That is nothing that any self respecting country sports enthusiast should cringe about!

We do not claim we have the largest sports gatherings - certainly GAA matches can attract larger audiences - but we do organise the largest country sports gatherings in Ireland - FACT.

Of course lots of people run sporting events and I applaud each and every one of them because I know how hard it is to run events properly with increasing legislation, real economic hardship and dire weather.

we do not use the lurchers & terriers as an attraction but because we think they should be an integral part of the country sports community and should be treated as such. Are they a major public attraction - NO .

Look at the number of members of the public at Birr watching the gundogs and even the clay shooting compared to watching the terriers & lurchers and you will see how attractive they are to the general public. In fact some event organisers think they are actually offputting to the public and thats why they put them outside of the show. I can assure you in our research with the public terriers & lurchers as an attraction are very far down the list of why the public attend our events!

When we actually tot up what it costs to put on the terriers and lurchers in terms of share of ground rental, share of promotional costs , judges expenses and prizes - they actually contribute very little if anything to overall profits ( if any) bearing in mind we pay all of the expenses and the organising club take the entry fees.

Ask any event organiser this year including the Scottish fair, CLA Fair , Great Yorkshire Show etc how much they risk by organising a show and how much they can lose. Survival was the name of the game in 2012!

AND fact - we were the first to run major terrier and lurcher shows - in 1980 - and over the years and we will continue running them and promoting them as an integral part of country sports and our game fairs. AND we will continue to promote and advertise our events in the manner that we deem appropriate and the manner in which has won us several marketing and tourism awards.

Albertj

no albert you do not organise the largest gathering if irish sports people , you cannot in fairness say that , yes the events are large and on par with some, surely the tullamore show would be the largest in ireland , the killag and the tinahealy are on par or larger. stop twisting my words i said i cringe when you use the word largest when it clearly is not. yes albert you do a great job well done. but well done to the many other larger and as big as shows too like tullamore and tinahealy. as for the costs the game fairs in england and wales which i have attended charge £15 on the gate and every class you enter is free after that, you can enter as many dogs and as many class as you like for free. as for lurcher and terriers not being a public attraction i lost my voice explaining how my lurcher was crossed at borris show to the general public the dog was a real chick magnet so much so my friend wanted to lead him around for a while, may not be the biggest attraction but an attraction none the less.

JImJIm,

Tullamore and Tinahealy are not country sports shows they are country shows based primarily on agriculture. I did not say we run the largest sporting shows but the largest country sports ones. I don't think many would describe Tullamore or Tinahealy as either sporting or country sports event. I repeat the fact that we organise the largest country sports events in Ireland.

I don't know what game fairs you go to in England with free classes but as far as I am aware Scone, CLA and Midland cost more and do NOT have free classes except for pre qualified classes - which is similar to ourselves. As any one not pre entered or qualified at our show pay the same admission fee ( except for terriers & lurchers I offer a special pre paid two day ticket) what they do when they enter the fair is up to them - they can enter the clay pigeon shooting, the fly casting, archery, or the terriers & lurchers with the club organising the event taking all entry fees. It is your choice what you do when you come into the fair.

You mention Borris - I understand that you did not have to go into the fair to enter your dog in the terrier & lurcher event - was entry to the classes free? Did the prizes compare to Birr? If you went into the fair at Borris - was that free? So if you went to Borris entered your dog in some classes and then paid entry into the fair - was it really much different to going to Birr except Birr was much larger, had better prizes, ringside parking for terrier and lurcher inside the fair and a bit less mud!

I am pleased that there was so much public interest in your dog at borris - it shows that since we staged the first major terrier & lurcher show at Clandeboye in 1980 and other events every year for 34 years over 51 fairs people are more interested in terriers & lurchers BUT would they pay €15 specfically to come to see them - or that they be one of the reasons the public come to the show - I don't only think not - I know so because every person or family gets a questionnaire to fill in and T&L while of interest to you and me don't figure in the top 10 reasons for attending the show! However it is good that the public don't feel threatened by lurchers and terriers and are gradually getting an understanding of them and people like you walking them round fairs and discussing them does help create a good image. That's why I felt the IWTF at the fairs was both good for them, and good for the defence of working dogs.

I feel that it is very important to have terriers & lurchers at our events and to involve them in our PR, press conferences and promotions - really the only major show in Ireland to do so. Because it enables the public who attend our shows to see them in a neutral setting and in a lot of ways overcomes the negative images generated by our opponents.

Albertj

one larger event , clonmel is a large irish country sporting event. where the real master mcgrath used to run. albert the agricultural shows are large country sporting events too, look at the amount of classes, any competition is sport in my book, when they involve country persuit's they are both country and sporting. i didnt say borris was bigger or smaller but it was large and yes there was plenty of mud but us hunting people are used to it., i suppose we better stop our debate for fear of upsetting other people on here. finally i do enjoy the game fairs and any of the many irish country sporting events. yours in sport jimjim ps got the tux all set now , and thank you for your good wishes.

Jim Jim,

I see we are arguing how events are defined - you have your definition and I have mine. I do not think there is any point in arguing at cross purposes.

I hope you have a job to go with your graduation - as an ex university lecturer it saddens me to see how many young people of ability are having so much difficulty in the job market. You appear to have great persistence and that will help!

Anyway whether we run the largest country sports events in Ireland or are amongst some of the larger country events in Ireland we were delighted to facilitate the IWTF at our events. I wish the organisation great success in the future and as I have said stand ready to help them in any way we can.

Albertj

have to agree with you there (did i just say i agree with you wow). YES i'm persistent and some would say even stubborn, i get it from my mother.. i have started in agricultural collage, jobs are almost non existent, i do join with you in wishing the i.w.t.f. luck and success in the future and you too albert with the game fairs. yours jimjim

JimJIm,

Albertj

JImJIm,

Albertj

Jim Jim,

Albertj

have to agree with you there (did i just say i agree with you wow). YES i'm persistent and some would say even stubborn, i get it from my mother.. i have started in agricultural collage, jobs are almost non existent, i do join with you in wishing the i.w.t.f. luck and success in the future and you too albert with the game fairs. yours jimjim

JImJim,

Best of luck with your course - good choice agrifood sector one of the few buoyant areas in Ni at present . Don't let that babe magnet of a dog lead you astray.

Albertj

• 2 weeks later...

tell you one thing junt hunt, you alone has caused untold damage within the IWTF, I would have granted you a wee bit of credit had you had the balls to put you name behind your claims.

But sure thats how yellow b*****ds work. Some friend you are :hmm: :hmm: :hmm: :hmm:

how could anyone trust a RAT like just hunt :yes: Edited by danny300