Before a nights lamping

What do you guys think is the best preparation you could do for your dogs before a nights lamping, racing or even days hunting?

Some people I have spoken to in the past have said you should take the dogs food away from it, to make it hungry to catch? One of the people I go out with doesn't bother, but then he doesn't put much time to his dogs full stop imo! I myself can't function without food first thing in the morning or a strong cuppa! But do dogs run better on an empty stomach? If so why? Do any of you have any particular pre-hunt rituals that help your dogs? I don't mean sacrificing virgins (unless that helps :laugh:) but maybe different foods, massaging the dogs etc. I have always let my dog have access to food and water all day long, but feed raw stuff in the mornings, I would always give her a massage before we go out lamping and always like to give her a run around before we hit the fields so she is warm and not running flat out from cold.

Just interested in other peoples thoughts, would be nice to know how other people operate,

Cheers you!

Sniffer

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

try not to feed mine beforehand otherwise they wont fit through the window when i sling em out at 50mph :laugh:

I feed mine on rabbit's for a week leading upto a lamping trip..that way when they catch a rabbit they won't eat it because they are sick of it..a bit like a ferret really.. ..

Before we go lamping, and depending on what county we heading into. I like to put clean underpants on !!!!!!!!!!!

Always fed them there full scran between 12-4pm before lamping them,a dog takes 9 hours to fully digest it's food..never had any problems with twisted guts or anything untoward,another full feed on returning from lamping then fed again in the afternoon so ready to go again if need be?..depends on what and how much gear you intend on running i suppose?...if your just out for a few spins then running "clean" might be advisable but if your out to run plenty then imo and jmo i believe in feeding them..after all without fuel they'll soon be running on empty ;)

• Like 2

dogs body works different to humans in the way they store and convert fat into energy, was a program once of sled dogs and how their body works when on long endurence races, carnt remember what is was called though. :thumbs:

i always feed early morning between 5 and 6am is the norm that way if i fancy an hour on the lamp or a mooch in the afternoon i can. i can even go early doors before feeding, suites me but wont everbody as were all different with different circumstances.

• Like 1