Permission

Guest MOLLY

Guest MOLLY

A few months ago i sent out letters to several farmers. Was talking to a friend on the phone and he recommended some others to send the letter to. Well the upshot of that was i have full hunting permission on a local farm, with the assurance it wont be a problem if i go onto the neighbouring farmers land. And Im waiting to contact another farmer in scotland.

But this has to be the best yet, dont know why but this little note has really made me feel good, like im now established.

"I live opposite Mr (the farmer) so have heard that you might be able to get rid of rabbits in my garden. This has been a problem for quite a long time and we think they can no longer get from the outside in. I think there are two at the moment so please bring your russells.

Signed*****

P.S. May be politically correct to put this in an envelope!"

The note was written on a posh postcard type letter with their full address and telephone number hence why she put it in an envelope.

I hope she wont be disapointed i dont have any russells :11:

Ill try to get there this evening, or tomorrow. Ill let you know what happens :D

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY
Good luck,good to be of service to land owners big or small.

Spoke to the lady on the phone. An elderly well to do lovely lady. Her husband used to shoot them but is now disabled and unable to. They have rabbit proof fencing, but im sure we saw some getting under the fence last time we ferreted in the field next to it. Their well tended garden is being destroyed by rabbits, and bless her heart she said

"I know the dogs will probably snap the plants but we need to get rid of them, it will give your Jack Russells some sport aswell"

So definately right Kane, she probably deserves help much more than the farmers. Only problem is, i love being around and talking to elderly people and will probs end up doing their bloody garden, helping with her hubby etc every week aswell :cry: :11:

MOLL.

Its people like you that should of been used by the ca as an advert Moll,by the time they used the tactic of using good people in their ads it was already to late.

You sure your terriers havnt got a bit of JR in them,not even a little bit :D

You'll probably get a lot more satisfaction out of that little job than all the others Moll. I got a call yesterday from a guy who had been given my number. "Can you come and ferret these paddocks, there's thousands of rabbits and the lady who owns the paddock is frightened of her horses coming a cropper in one of the holes they've made". I went to look at the job in hand last night. We must have seen six, if that. They all made for a small warren, so when I go back on saturday to sort it, if they head that way, they're dead meat. But thousands! :no: "I was right wasn't I" the guy said as we left the fields. Yes mate. These small spots are great when you're just starting out, but can become a pain in the long run. It might be a case of passing it over to someone with either no permish or very little, perhaps a youngster.

Guest MOLLY

Well i was right...i did sort of end up doing the garden :icon_redface:

Its a very large garden about an acre, with a small wood and everything. Spotted one half grown youngster (or teenager as the lady calls them) disapear into some bushes. Behind these bushes is a stone wall with about a 4ft drop then fences surrounding sheep fields.She has done a brilliant job meshing off the fences but did not realise just how small a gap young bunnies can get through so i spent the next 2.5hrs blocking off gaps with wood and mesh then putting overhanging mesh on top of the walls (she didnt realise bunnies can jump either). Just behind the fence is an old hen shed which had dozens of rabbit runs going underneath, which the dogs immediately marked, so guess whats getting ferreted this weekend :yes: The ladies garden is absolutley stunning, and i can well understand why she is so upset. Spent a while chatting to her she used to go on the hunts at the Scottish borders. She offered me money which i refused, she then offered to dig me a bag of new potatoes :D , again i said no. She then said i was welcome anytime (took my number aswell) the surrounding fields all belong to her and im welcome to use dogs, ferrets and guns :yahoo: .....she desperately wants these bunnies removed.

As i was leaving she said if ever one of my lovely terriers needed a home they could live with her :D .....thats reward enough :yes:

MOLL.

Guest MOLLY

Been back tonight, she has spotted a lone rabbit still in there. This has got me completely stumped. Apart from some rabbit dottles on the lawn there is no evidence of runs, scratchings, anything!! :search: And the bloody thing is starting to make me and the dogs look stupid :realmad: According tom the lady she has seen one only moments before i arrived, the dogs picked up NO scent anywhere. Ive had another look around and started to mesh places higher up they may jump, but apart from that dont know what else to do.

Its been a night of disapointments, cos i was just going to the ladys house i didnt take anything with me...no camera, no knife. Decided to have a walk around the rest of her land and was face to face with a fox running towards me, no more than 30ft away. It was pale and small (presumably this years young) and appeared to be limping badly on the front and i was upwind of it :unsure::icon_eek: So decided that it musnt be in a very good way and set the lurcher of in the right direction, just as i did that it looked at me, i looked at the lurcher and when i looked back it had gone...vanished! Neither the lurcher or terrier could pick up a strong scent..very bizzare :blink:

Then went to the farm i have permission, just nearby. Just got through the gate walked a small distance and then before my eyes stood a lovely Roe buck not more than 80ft away, he just ambled off slowly without a care in the world, in the middle of a huge bloody field a good distance away from any cover, had i been prepared their would have been no escape. Jazz and i just had to watch as he made his way across the field :(

The dogs had more runs than usual on bunnies, even heard the terriers catch one but it got away with them in loud persuit into the woods. Even 2 ducks had a lucky escape when i noticed them and called Jazz away.

Next time no matter where im going the knife and camera will be with me! :yes:

MOLL.