Strictly Rabbiting

Guest Leveller

Guest Moscow

There has been lengthy debates on this forum about shouting dogs off quarry, staying or chasing on command etc. People will never agree. Iam of the opinion a dog needs its prey drive questioning if it can be shouted off game they have been entered to, right or wrong its my opinion!

Stopping a stock trained dog from chasing STOCK its been broke to is totally different from stopping a dog chasing game its been entered to, comparing the two is silly.

Edited by Moscow
  • Like 3

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well as my dog lacks nothing in heart and drive I'd have to go with the training although I wouldn't use the word "superior" more like simple time and effort. Most people I'd hope take the time to get

I think lads that lack the ability and patience it takes to train a dog properly will always respond with the obvious shouts of lack of drive etc,I find if the dog is within 10-20ft of me it will list

There has been lengthy debates on this forum about shouting dogs off quarry, staying or chasing on command etc. People will never agree. Iam of the opinion a dog needs its prey drive questioning if it can be shouted off game they have been entered to, right or wrong its my opinion!

Stopping a stock trained dog from chasing STOCK its been broke to is totally different from stopping a dog chasing game its been entered to, comparing the two is silly.

i agree with what you say but he never said tht he had entered the dog to deer

I think lads that lack the ability and patience it takes to train a dog properly will always respond with the obvious shouts of lack of drive etc,I find if the dog is within 10-20ft of me it will listen but if it gets up in front of it when quartering a field then there is no stopping even the best trained lurcher,its like when you're ferreting,you would'nt allow your dogs to interfere with quarry in the nets or nose about knocking them,basic obedience should be taught from day 1 as a pup,the word "NO" is a very basic command but also a very important one for keeping control on your dog,allowing your dog to run anything it wants can only end in disaster one way or another,my dogs are broken to cats as every farm and estate I have permission on has them,it does not effect how many rabbits I catch by maintaining control over my lurcher and terrier's,you must also consider the choice of lurcher you are running if you want some assemblance of control over it,a collie based dog will obviously listen more than a bull based one,I like fast obedient lurchers but that not to say they are for everyone,atb,WM

• Like 10

wm, you talk about less control when your dogs is quartering a field, when we're quietly going about our business and i'm sat gateside waiting by a net and mines is quartering the last thing i want her to do is 'riot' on an out of bounds species ie a roe and perhaps catch it a couple of fields away screaming enough to waken the dead, for me it's not about control because she could be a hundred yards or more away and it's dark it's more about basic training, and for those who harp on about lack of drive...have you never seen a real driven staying terrier that doesn't 'riot' on rabbits but concentrates on the intended prey ?

Guest first light

nice bitch mate my bitch is the same not run them tell i let her same on the moors tell her to go on she will be doing her hunting up if she get to far stop her

put my hand up left or right and she will go

• Like 1
Guest Leveller

Quite right Bird, and to sum up Birddog's post it's all about the task in hand, when I leave home with that bitch be it daytime, night time whatever we have no interest in anything other than rabbits. I have shotguns and rifles if I wanted to bring anything else to the table.

I'm not after an all rounder I'm merely trying to hone a half decent rabbiting dog out of this one. I'm not claiming to be some amazing dog trainer either I just thought I'd take the pic and get a few views and discussions going it's always interesting hearing differing views.

i'm no amazing trainer either (my other bitch is a nutter by comparison) but it's not hard to train a dog what to chase, it's not even that hard to teach them when to chase certain things, there are many examples of this all through the working dog world but to say a dog has no or less drive because it's been trained to a specific task is obviously nonsense, there hasn't been anyone disagree with my gundog or terrier examples which to be honest are nothing more than the required norm in their respective disciplines.

There are just so many variable to training that it is impossible to cover everything in a post.

Type of dog (Not just breed but the individual dog)

type of trainer

type of training

type of prey

expectations of dog = type of hunting/prey required

situations.

And variables within the variables!

Guest born to run1083

Quite right Bird, and to sum up Birddog's post it's all about the task in hand, when I leave home with that bitch be it daytime, night time whatever we have no interest in anything other than rabbits. I have shotguns and rifles if I wanted to bring anything else to the table.

I'm not after an all rounder I'm merely trying to hone a half decent rabbiting dog out of this one. I'm not claiming to be some amazing dog trainer either I just thought I'd take the pic and get a few views and discussions going it's always interesting hearing differing views.

Out of interest can you call it off a rabbit