All this springer talk has got me thinking about getting the Hw99s tuned .. Or do you Guys think its not worth it .Ive Shot loads of Rabbits, Crows ,Squirrels Pigeons and maggies with it .

Its Full powerd nice and light .But now i have become a lazy PCP shooter and now shot a AAS410 and have lost the want to shoot this ..It has a very notable twang and a very good kick or should i stop being lazy and get back to mastering my first proper rifle.

Or look for another springer ??

Any thoughts would be much appreciated ..

yours

Darren

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Condoms tend to get a bit crushed and slippery.

"...The HW99S was designed to solve the problem of the HW80 being too heavy to carry in the field."   The HW80 is WHAT???!!! What a load of tosh !   You'd have to be a flamin' noodle-armed fairy

ive heard of the tooth fairy, but never the noodle fairy lmao :laugh:

Just transformed my 95 from the usual weihrauch twang to a sharp thud and performance to rival any pcp. How? Piston sleeve and gun grease. You could use a pop bottle, but probably best to buy one of those ptfe sheets for £7 odd.

Just transformed my 95 from the usual weihrauch twang to a sharp thud and performance to rival any pcp. How? Piston sleeve and gun grease. You could use a pop bottle, but probably best to buy one of those ptfe sheets for £7 odd.

And how would i go about this :notworthy: ...Please .

I Am very good at dismantling things but hope less at putting them back together :censored:

• Like 1

Hi Darren.

If you are hopeless at putting things back together, leave well alone.

Have the rifle serviced, the barrel and internals cleaned and the spring properly greased if you are not sure how to do it yourself. Follow Elliott's advice and get it tuned. The Weihrauch HW99S is good enough, accurate and powerful enough, at least for medium-range hunting as you have already discovered. It's not Weihrauch's best small rifle but it's worth having for the time and effort spent learning how to shoot properly with a spring rifle again. For a hundred quid you'll have your 99S performing at its best and you'll be able to get yourself back to correct shooting disciplines.

Then you can decide if shooting with a spring rifle is a skill you want to devellope further with a more advanced rifle.

Best wishes.

Pianoman

so pianoman.. are you saying IN THE RIGHT HANDS [ aka yours ;) ] that the 99s fully tuned could match your 77, or si's 97 .. eg 15mm killzones at 60 yards ..?

there deffo sturdy guns and have the rekord trigger, and im guessing the same sort of barrels as the top end HW's ..... so accuracy wise they should be just the same right?? or am i missing something here lol.

You seem to have missed a fair bit here Skot.

I made no mention or allusion of this rifle's performance in my hands or anyone else's,

Nor did I make direct comparison to this rifle with any other Weihrauch spring rifle. Other than to say it is not the best of the smaller rifles Weihrauch make.

I have stated that the 99s is an effective. medium range hunter. I made no claim for it as capable of groups at 60 yards metres or anything else. But neither do I say it cannot. Impossible. End of!

I simply started getting it cleaned up and giving the rifle a chance to help the OP get back into shooting a spring rifle again, and see if it helps with wanting to take shooting with it further.

What you are missing is the 99S has a smaller cylinder and bore and a smaller cut spring and piston than it's bigger HW stablemates and is generally viewed, by Weihrauch and Hull, Cartridge themselves, not quite as consistent at 11 to 11.5 ft/lbs. Set at 9.5 to 10-10.5 ftlbs and it's a lovely, sweet and accurate little rifle to shoot with and still powerful enough to hunt with.

It is therefore not as good or recommended overall as your HW95 or HW97 for precise long range shooting; and its price reflects that. Or I'd take a guess you would have probably bought one instead....LOL

Edited by pianoman

It's alright Skot we're cool! :cheers: It just read over to me like you were having a bit of a go for some reason.

They are a good little gun as you no doubt found mate. Good barrel and great trigger. (can't beat a Rekord/Elite ) but, just not that powerful. It won't beat that HW95 and HW97 of yours or any of my HWs at long range as, at about 60 yards the 99S has begun to run out of puff!

But a great little trainer and medium hunter. It would make a lovely little rat and Ferral pidgeon gun for barn shooting.

Best regards.

Simon

• Like 1

heard from Weihrauch the hw 99s has the same swept volume and piston etc as the hw 95, so it should be along the same power lines.

mine would shoot 11.3 ftlbs with accupels and superdomes and mine was bog standard.

i only got rid because at the time there wasnt a silencer and i didnt use the open sights.

I wonder if Tony Wall could do that to a 99S? Cut down the barrel and tune it. Add a chunky silencer as a handfull of cocking grip.

Custom Stock of Sheffield might be able to provide just the stock it would need to alow a decent scope.

That would make it something like, wouldn't it? Might be a bit more dear than an HW95 off the peg but, it would make a cracking little carbine surely?

Simon

• Like 1

No mate i wasnt having a go sorry if it seemed like that :o

Glad wer ok..and that cheers beer smiley looks cool haha, just having a strongbow ;) lol

when i had my 99s's a few year ago i wasnt as 'good a shot' as i am now.. and miles away was 25 yards lol.. but they wer still pretty accurate accurate and seemed powerfull enough, even compared to the 97 i had in them days aswell.

Shame you wont be at the meet .. i think people percieve me / take me the wrong way on here.. if you met me in real life (lol) .erm, in person... then im sure you would understand me a bit more lol

but i would definately like to go shooting with you sometime. :)

Cheers mate. goodnight :) oh and cheers *raises beercan* :p

No worries Skot. Things do not always read as intended on the net as you would have said it in person. I'd like to meet you over a beer after a good shoot together. There's a lovely old pub I go to after a session.

I study and read and ask a great deal about this obsessive passion for shooting I have. It's way more than a hobby to me.

I do not have a great deal of experience with the 99S save a decent test session with a .177 one a few years ago. I found it too small for my dimensions and though very accurate. (Sub half inch at 40-metres is a really, very nice return for any rifle) it seemed a bit underpowered. I was lead to believe the cylinder and internals were not so beefy as an HW80 or HW77 and it performed better at lower power levels and I've always worked by that assumption regarding this particular Weihrauch.

However this exchange has piqued and renewed my interest in this little rifle and I'm going to look at one this week with fresh eyes. Custom Stock should be able to make a stock that's more of a fit and I reckon my mate Andy here could tune one to superb performance.

But then again, I still think an HW95 with that level of treatment would be amazing!

Here's to you with a Stella Artois Cidre cheers!

Simon

Edited by pianoman