finches and mules in the moult

I don't use any meds just in case myself but i do go out and out on wild food as i do think there's something missing in captive kept birds diets that aids the wild birds at this time so i just try to supply all i can.I even collect grass heads and tie it in bundles around the aviaries,in fact this time of year my aviaries look like a bit of waste land with all the stuff i put in and apart from a fledgling i found dead yesterday so far i've lost nothing and to be honest although i've only been keeping birds a few years i've never lost a bird in the moult,mule or pure native so i just keep doing what i'm doing.I will add i don't change my birds general diet at any time and they get what they get all year round apart from the wild food and thats when it's avalable or the live food and they do get extra in the breeding season for the youngsters.

• Like 1

very similiar to my methods , years of old when i fed almost completely wild stuff bar a litle plain seed i would freeze berries in season collect dandelion sow thistle fat hen rats tails etc . these days i keep it simple and feed a good canary mix , with screenings and keep them on the chick mix once a twice a week through the moult one can give a soluble supplement boost is fine once a week . greens a wee bit of broccoli here and there . Ido believe one can make the feeding process as hard labour , i dont use any sulphur drugs these days no need try to rely on the cleaning regime . i rear and do use lots of sunflower hearts gets some fat on em for the winter a head no heating no extra daylight rely on natures clock. bearing in mind i do try not to make the birds soft in fact my approach raises many an eye brow . atb bunnys.

• Like 2

if you try to emulate as much of the wild as you can your always going to be onto a winner, thistles, teasal, dandelions, pine cones ect. i was watching a flock of young goldies this morning on the pine cones and berries :thumbs:

post-896-0-13273000-1345359704.jpg

post-896-0-78687700-1345359779.jpg

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I agree with all the above posts so would just add one comment, fresh bath water every day is important because in my opinion its helps the birds moult quicker which is a stressful time for them and the quicker they moult out the better. Daily baths soften the new pin feathers which makes it easier for the birds to moult, they preen themselves a lot more after bathing so get though the moult quicker, a bird with no bath water will have dry brittle feathers trying to grow out which will take a lot longer than a bird with access to fresh bath water.

Just my opinion.....

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I do use it myself but let it stand for at least 24 hours to help rid of it something i can't remember the name of :icon_redface: (some growers of the finest smoke also do this,if they have to use tap water ;)) and thanks for the comments.