• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coyote on the lamp  

Grey and Big John  

Curs and a nice cat  

Wow, been following this thread and it's great. Few questions if you don't mind.

Do you use properly tested bulls with good pedigrees or any bull?

Do you ever get dogs with no self preservation that just s team into the big stuff?

How do you enter a dog to stuff like bears? Over here a lot o people will enter doubled for a fox so do you just put young dogs in the pack and just hope for the best?

How often do you lose dogs from these dangerous animals?

Sorry if you don't want to answer any

SHH-I was a bulldog man long before I ever thought about lurchers. For me there are bulldogs and then there are the rest. That being said, I have added bulldog into almost every other kind of dog you can imagine...LOL The bull blood in my bullstags was used for hog hunting, but was old Bolio/Eli type stuff. I dont think a deep game dog is needed for crosses, as that type gameness isnt needed, and cant be expected from any dog that carries 1/2 or less of game blood. In MY lurchers the bull blood has added durability, wind, heat tolerance, and brains. A good stag is generally superior in the killing dept than most bulldogs, IMO. Most folks think the bull blood is for the kill, but if you need it for that, your not breeding the right type of running dog anyways, IMO. I would never use the ill built bulldogs ie...bullys, crooked legged, bad footed, short/squatty, etc...no matter how they were bred. I would always prefer a game dog over a cur, but I would pick a well built cur over an ill built game dog, for making lurchers.

Dogs figure out pretty quick what they can whip and what they cant. Alot of dogs look like hard dogs, til they run into something harder. If they dont get killed quickly, they go from mute to bayers/mixers. I have seen dogs smash coon and bay at badger, smash fox and bay at coyote, smash coyote and bay at bear etc.. etc... etc...

I expect the dogs breeding to lead it into its job. I dont "build them up" from small game to large like many do. I start hauling my pups at about 7-8 mo along with a pair of older dogs. If the pup decides to start on his first coyote, bear, lion etc... thats great. If not, its OK for a few more months, but I wont keep a dog that doesnt start by 12 mo. Im not against others doing it differently, its just the way I do it.

Some years I lose a few dogs, some years none. Far more fall to the culling machine, than from dangerous game.

Hope that helps some, feel free to agree/disagree, Im always willing to hear how others do it...even if I cant make any sense of it.

Take care.

• Like 7

Cheers doc, that all makes sense. Would you accept a dog baying fox and badger?

I get what your saying about bulldogs but surely it worth the hassle to find a decent dog with good shape?

What are bolio/Eli stuff like? Not seen any in the uk that I know of and certainly can't remember any match reports with them.

Wow, been following this thread and it's great. Few questions if you don't mind.

Do you use properly tested bulls with good pedigrees or any bull?

Do you ever get dogs with no self preservation that just s team into the big stuff?

How do you enter a dog to stuff like bears? Over here a lot o people will enter doubled for a fox so do you just put young dogs in the pack and just hope for the best?

How often do you lose dogs from these dangerous animals?

Sorry if you don't want to answer any

SHH-I was a bulldog man long before I ever thought about lurchers. For me there are bulldogs and then there are the rest. That being said, I have added bulldog into almost every other kind of dog you can imagine...LOL The bull blood in my bullstags was used for hog hunting, but was old Bolio/Eli type stuff. I dont think a deep game dog is needed for crosses, as that type gameness isnt needed, and cant be expected from any dog that carries 1/2 or less of game blood. In MY lurchers the bull blood has added durability, wind, heat tolerance, and brains. A good stag is generally superior in the killing dept than most bulldogs, IMO. Most folks think the bull blood is for the kill, but if you need it for that, your not breeding the right type of running dog anyways, IMO. I would never use the ill built bulldogs ie...bullys, crooked legged, bad footed, short/squatty, etc...no matter how they were bred. I would always prefer a game dog over a cur, but I would pick a well built cur over an ill built game dog, for making lurchers.

Dogs figure out pretty quick what they can whip and what they cant. Alot of dogs look like hard dogs, til they run into something harder. If they dont get killed quickly, they go from mute to bayers/mixers. I have seen dogs smash coon and bay at badger, smash fox and bay at coyote, smash coyote and bay at bear etc.. etc... etc...

I expect the dogs breeding to lead it into its job. I dont "build them up" from small game to large like many do. I start hauling my pups at about 7-8 mo along with a pair of older dogs. If the pup decides to start on his first coyote, bear, lion etc... thats great. If not, its OK for a few more months, but I wont keep a dog that doesnt start by 12 mo. Im not against others doing it differently, its just the way I do it.

Some years I lose a few dogs, some years none. Far more fall to the culling machine, than from dangerous game.

Hope that helps some, feel free to agree/disagree, Im always willing to hear how others do it...even if I cant make any sense of it.

Take care.

good thread that, makes lot of sence :thumbs: , ive being saying for ages that bullxs over here( dont) matter what lines they come from, are not going to that (differnt) from each other really regards game .As the bull in the mix will be watered down with running dog anyway . :yes: and the gene of the greyhound will be quite strong .!! Great post keep'um coming . :thumbs:

BEAR-Thanks.

dimmock-I could probably dig up a few I could post.

SHH-No, I wont accept my dogs baying at anything smaller than they are...I cant understand why folks think fox are formidable for any lurcher.

I agree on the bulldog, "I would always prefer a game dog over a cur, but I would pick a well built cur over an ill built game dog, for making lurchers"

Bolio (Patrick) and Eli (Boudreaux) are behind most the modern fast lane bulldogs.

Take care.

• Like 2

Bird-Im NOT saying that I would advise using "pet bull" blood, Im just sayin that I dont think the dog used to make the cross needs to be a game tested dog, like one would use if they were breeding straight bulldogs to match. I think folks add bull for the wrong reason alot, but thats a whole different topic.

Take care.