• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coyote on the lamp  

Grey and Big John  

Curs and a nice cat  

lukey-I have fooled with performance dogs of one type or another for the last 35 years. IMO, the differances in evaluating performance of each type are not that far apart, and the methods used to obtain better animals will always remain the same.

I went thru dozens of running dogs before I ever found one that I liked. I saw loads more that belonged to others, and got an idea of what I wanted/expected in MY running dogs. The bullstags Im running now are just in the early stages. I have tested the first breeding I made, and am happy with the results. The second generation breeding will be put to the test this season. The blood behind my dogs was all tested and bred by other folks. They dont all hunt the way I do, or even expect the same out of the dogs as I do, so its been quite a selection process. I have driven 1,000s of miles to look at, and buy/eliminate dogs.

I feel like my first breeding was superior to either parent for MY type hunting, and Im hopeful that will continue on the next generation. If not, I will not hesitate to go back to the drawing board. I have no loyalty to breed, line, or registry...performance is my only concern.

Mr pockets-The start by 12 mo thing is what most folks that disagree with me point out. Let me explain, I DONT think a 12mo old will perform to the same standard as a 3 year old, but I DO expect them to show me they are interested in the game. I DONT believe getting a dog hurt when its younger, will ruin it for later, I DO believe the dogs that quit early, would have quit later.

I started out running 3-5 dogs at a time on coyotes, as thats the only way I had ever seen it done. I have continued to decrease the numbers of dogs, and increase the amount of "law" I allow the coyote every year. I like to run my dogs in pairs on coyotes, for the most part, but have had a few solo kills. I would expect any running dog to handle fox solo. Lions and bears, typcially 3-5 dogs, but have caught them with everything from 1-15. I rarely kill a bear or lion, and almost never carry a gun while hunting with dogs. The dogs will dispatch the coyote and fox. Sometimes, I will deliver the coup de grace with a knife.

I actually have a Ukrainian bred English Bull Terrier gyp at the moment. She is just 6mo old, but full of fire. I will put her on coyotes this year. I have dreamt of trying a Wheaton...but no connection to the real things, and no interest in the look alikes.

Take care.

lukey-I have fooled with performance dogs of one type or another for the last 35 years. IMO, the differances in evaluating performance of each type are not that far apart, and the methods used to obtain better animals will always remain the same.

I went thru dozens of running dogs before I ever found one that I liked. I saw loads more that belonged to others, and got an idea of what I wanted/expected in MY running dogs. The bullstags Im running now are just in the early stages. I have tested the first breeding I made, and am happy with the results. The second generation breeding will be put to the test this season. The blood behind my dogs was all tested and bred by other folks. They dont all hunt the way I do, or even expect the same out of the dogs as I do, so its been quite a selection process. I have driven 1,000s of miles to look at, and buy/eliminate dogs.

I feel like my first breeding was superior to either parent for MY type hunting, and Im hopeful that will continue on the next generation. If not, I will not hesitate to go back to the drawing board. I have no loyalty to breed, line, or registry...performance is my only concern.

Mr pockets-The start by 12 mo thing is what most folks that disagree with me point out. Let me explain, I DONT think a 12mo old will perform to the same standard as a 3 year old, but I DO expect them to show me they are interested in the game. I DONT believe getting a dog hurt when its younger, will ruin it for later, I DO believe the dogs that quit early, would have quit later.

I started out running 3-5 dogs at a time on coyotes, as thats the only way I had ever seen it done. I have continued to decrease the numbers of dogs, and increase the amount of "law" I allow the coyote every year. I like to run my dogs in pairs on coyotes, for the most part, but have had a few solo kills. I would expect any running dog to handle fox solo. Lions and bears, typcially 3-5 dogs, but have caught them with everything from 1-15. I rarely kill a bear or lion, and almost never carry a gun while hunting with dogs. The dogs will dispatch the coyote and fox. Sometimes, I will deliver the coup de grace with a knife.

I actually have a Ukrainian bred English Bull Terrier gyp at the moment. She is just 6mo old, but full of fire. I will put her on coyotes this year. I have dreamt of trying a Wheaton...but no connection to the real things, and no interest in the look alikes.

Take care.

:thumbs:

Collie blooded dogs with hounds

032008002.jpg

Stag with the terriers

0609070921a.jpg

Collie lurcher with charlie

newdog.jpg

Ol ' school Stags

post-11299-1239204658.jpg

post-142-1208863133.jpg

custer-hunting.jpg

Stag with ferret and bunny

shapics011.jpg

Collie dogs with end of the dig and bolters

shawnspics002.jpg

shawnspics015.jpg

Stags working with terriers

111910fox2.jpg

Staghound and collie lurcher relaxing after a little bear race.

072908002.jpg

fantastic pics

• Like 1

Take care.

doc thanks for the reply am finding this topic very interesting.would be hunting that i would love to experience would like to see pics of that ebt and up dates on it working mate take care and keep me posted

lukey-I rarely carry a gun when hunting with dogs. I always have a knife, but depend on my dogs to stay between me and big trouble. You learn to read the quarry, and they will tell you when you are close enough. I live for the adreneline of being in the middle of it, so its a risk im willing to take. Few things get my heart racing like being in the tree with a bear, or on a ledge with a lion...and the things that do, are all illegal nowadays...

I have been run over by a bear, and rushed by plenty others. I have been hooked by a lion, but that was while trying to tie him, after roping him. Been bitten by coyotes, badger and coon...but none of it amounted to much.

TheDirtyDawg-Thanks. Will do.

Take care.

Grace

26584_1275427844228_4501907_n.jpg

.....Smart looking hound there Uphil,what breeding lines are in the dogs makeup,,,?...i have a similar looking bitch from working parents,obviously totally different lineage.

She's a saluki x grey/bull x grey,very capable dog and just levelling out at 2 yrs of age...... :thumbs: