• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coyote on the lamp  

Grey and Big John  

Curs and a nice cat  

jezza-I take "jackers" to mean quitters? Anybody that works dogs seriously will have quitters/culls. The goal is to get as few as possible...WITHOUT lowering the standard!!!

The only way to improve your dogs, IMO is to 1) Actually look for dogs quitting. 2) Eliminate them from the gene pool 3) Only breed from outstanding individuals, from outstanding litters. Most folks dont want to see the truth, and most wont ever see it, or at least admit to seeing it. If your standards are high enough, you will be suprised when dogs measure up...not when they dont.

Two things I try to always keep in mind... "A mans ego is a terrible burden for any dog to have to carry" and "they better perform as if their life depends on it...because it does"

Take care.

yes, was just wondering if it differed to people over here, but proper dog men work on the same basis everywhere i think :thumbs:

Mid Sept till the desert gets sloppy Mid March. Sure we would take vistors out...Do you have a nice ass? Send a picture lol we'll let ya know.

Just kidding :}

Cool. When you say sloppy, do you mean it gets softer as it heats up?

I'm told i have a pretty nice ass. And more importantly i have a beard, and look like a hick, so i'd fit in with your crew :laugh::tongue2:

Just been toying with the idea of a good hunting holiday next year, and been given the thumbs up from the missus. Torn between U.S and Oz, but i prefer the cold, so you guys and winning. And you have bears, how do you stop bears? :icon_eek:

I'd imagine they throw the visiting Brit at it...................... :laugh:

Black bear tree, if you see Uphills pics all are in a tree or dead on the ground. We dont run Grizzly here in the states but the do in Canada I think. They dont like to tree !

Cracking thread this......I see you lads skin the Coyotes.......is it a similar situation with the bears?........... :hmm::thumbs:

lads what a great thread one of the best in a long time very interesting

i bet a lot of lads would love a few straws from them dogs over their

to breed into our own in eng and irl

Hey somebody sees something they like just ask, I'm all about putting good stock on the ground and seeing it progress.

That and he just loves to collect the studs...

Take care.

An uphill lets me do a test breeding on him almost every Thursday night, Hey I'll be over around 8pm if you read this BTW. Put on something tight.

Stuntman-I told you...you can only collect me once a week, there are others tryin out for the job!!! Vargy and tomcat are gonna be jealous if they find out!!!

Take care.

how is Dan these days, his stags still doing the yotes .!!

This is the best topic on here by far. I have not been able sit n read anything on here for a long time but i have thoroughly enjoyed this and it is realli making me think about lookin into maybe try a holiday to america

Phil if you do plan a trip over give me a shout as I'll get my pals to take you out :thumbs:

Cheers for that bear brill offer i will keep it in mind. Id love too see how it all happens over there and see the differant types of quary are etc. now youve said tht i think the new zealand trip may b postponed n detoured to america lol

This is the best topic on here by far. I have not been able sit n read anything on here for a long time but i have thoroughly enjoyed this and it is realli making me think about lookin into maybe try a holiday to america

Phil if you do plan a trip over give me a shout as I'll get my pals to take you out :thumbs:

You been over?

Wow, been following this thread and it's great. Few questions if you don't mind.

Do you use properly tested bulls with good pedigrees or any bull?

Do you ever get dogs with no self preservation that just s team into the big stuff?

How do you enter a dog to stuff like bears? Over here a lot o people will enter doubled for a fox so do you just put young dogs in the pack and just hope for the best?

How often do you lose dogs from these dangerous animals?

Sorry if you don't want to answer any

SHH-I was a bulldog man long before I ever thought about lurchers. For me there are bulldogs and then there are the rest. That being said, I have added bulldog into almost every other kind of dog you can imagine...LOL The bull blood in my bullstags was used for hog hunting, but was old Bolio/Eli type stuff. I dont think a deep game dog is needed for crosses, as that type gameness isnt needed, and cant be expected from any dog that carries 1/2 or less of game blood. In MY lurchers the bull blood has added durability, wind, heat tolerance, and brains. A good stag is generally superior in the killing dept than most bulldogs, IMO. Most folks think the bull blood is for the kill, but if you need it for that, your not breeding the right type of running dog anyways, IMO. I would never use the ill built bulldogs ie...bullys, crooked legged, bad footed, short/squatty, etc...no matter how they were bred. I would always prefer a game dog over a cur, but I would pick a well built cur over an ill built game dog, for making lurchers.

Dogs figure out pretty quick what they can whip and what they cant. Alot of dogs look like hard dogs, til they run into something harder. If they dont get killed quickly, they go from mute to bayers/mixers. I have seen dogs smash coon and bay at badger, smash fox and bay at coyote, smash coyote and bay at bear etc.. etc... etc...

I expect the dogs breeding to lead it into its job. I dont "build them up" from small game to large like many do. I start hauling my pups at about 7-8 mo along with a pair of older dogs. If the pup decides to start on his first coyote, bear, lion etc... thats great. If not, its OK for a few more months, but I wont keep a dog that doesnt start by 12 mo. Im not against others doing it differently, its just the way I do it.

Some years I lose a few dogs, some years none. Far more fall to the culling machine, than from dangerous game.

Hope that helps some, feel free to agree/disagree, Im always willing to hear how others do it...even if I cant make any sense of it.

Take care.

well said doc it is a big thing in uk and ireland at the min to bred bull blood to make lurchers,to add fire to the dog.many lurchers have a base ie greyhound which has never been in field or seen a hunt. i do agree with most of what you are saying about adding bull which have bad make up in there genes ie bow legs bad feet to a running dog.and agree intirely about culling hard.dont know if i agree bout the ages that you give the dog time to work 12 month its very young to tell lot about a dog but as you said thats your preference.how do lurchers you bred and work take coyotes,fox and lion do you run any of the dogs single handed on these do you dispatch the animals with gun or let the dogs do the killing and is there any dog that you would like to work over there that you havent had the chance to work yet eg irish wheten,english bull ?

You been over?

No mate but planning a trip and talk to a few decent hunters over there and get the odd email with pics and video sent :D