American Lurchers

Hello Uphill Doc,

Ive been reding this thread and have loved it and the pics. I am a bull breed fan and have owned a few previously and am now a Lurcher owner. I agree with you that well built animals should be bred from for working stock. I believe (may be wrong) you said something along the lines of 'people misunderstand the qualities that all Bull breed bring to the running dog'. May i ask what you think are the best things they bring to the table. Thanks, Neil

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Coyote on the lamp  

Grey and Big John  

Curs and a nice cat  

Neil-I do think good bull blood will bring courage, but I think if you need them for that, then you are breeding poor running dogs. In MY lurchers the bull blood has added durability, wind, heat tolerance, and brains.

Take care.

Doc: I think it is important to stress that your bull blood comes from properly tested stuff, not just any old type of bull that has been carelessly bred just to satisfy some 'image' of what someone thinks a bull should be. Like anything, the original stock needs to be made of the right stuff, doesn't it?

• Like 1

Neil-I do think good bull blood will bring courage, but I think if you need them for that, then you are breeding poor running dogs. In MY lurchers the bull blood has added durability, wind, heat tolerance, and brains.

Take care.

Doc: I think it is important to stress that your bull blood comes from properly tested stuff, not just any old type of bull that has been carelessly bred just to satisfy some 'image' of what someone thinks a bull should be. Like anything, the original stock needs to be made of the right stuff, doesn't it?

Thats interesting, this has been a great topic btw, i was wondering if you get many 'jackers' and if so what you do with them? cheers atb

Take care.

skycat-When I say "Bulldog" I dont mean any ol cull with a big head. Im talking about a first class athlete, not one of the show ring, rap video, backyard bully, bluenose shit eaters that are so popular with the kids nowadays. It makes me sick that those are even called Bulldogs. I call them "pet bulls" as thats all they are good for, IMO.

Take care.

jezza-I take "jackers" to mean quitters? Anybody that works dogs seriously will have quitters/culls. The goal is to get as few as possible...WITHOUT lowering the standard!!!

The only way to improve your dogs, IMO is to 1) Actually look for dogs quitting. 2) Eliminate them from the gene pool 3) Only breed from outstanding individuals, from outstanding litters. Most folks dont want to see the truth, and most wont ever see it, or at least admit to seeing it. If your standards are high enough, you will be suprised when dogs measure up...not when they dont.

Two things I try to always keep in mind... "A mans ego is a terrible burden for any dog to have to carry" and "they better perform as if their life depends on it...because it does"

Take care.

Edited by UphillDoc
  • Like 9

lads what a great thread one of the best in a long time very interesting

i bet a lot of lads would love a few straws from them dogs over their

to breed into our own in eng and irl

Hey somebody sees something they like just ask, I'm all about putting good stock on the ground and seeing it progress.

• Like 2

Mid Sept till the desert gets sloppy Mid March. Sure we would take vistors out...Do you have a nice ass? Send a picture lol we'll let ya know.

Just kidding :}

Cool. When you say sloppy, do you mean it gets softer as it heats up?

I'm told i have a pretty nice ass. And more importantly i have a beard, and look like a hick, so i'd fit in with your crew :laugh::tongue2:

Just been toying with the idea of a good hunting holiday next year, and been given the thumbs up from the missus. Torn between U.S and Oz, but i prefer the cold, so you guys and winning. And you have bears, how do you stop bears? :icon_eek:

I'd imagine they throw the visiting Brit at it...................... :laugh:

Cracking thread this......I see you lads skin the Coyotes.......is it a similar situation with the bears?........... :hmm::thumbs:

lads what a great thread one of the best in a long time very interesting

i bet a lot of lads would love a few straws from them dogs over their

to breed into our own in eng and irl

Hey somebody sees something they like just ask, I'm all about putting good stock on the ground and seeing it progress.

That and he just loves to collect the studs...

Take care.

Skycat its the same in this country contirary to popular belief.

Uphill most lads won't cull in this country they tend to pass on there crap which someone else then breeds from producing even worse

SHH-Its the same here...plenty of wishful thinking, and excuse making. There are solid dogmen here, but very few are the type you see on the WWW with something for sale constantly.

Take care.