hi guys i have just had my pheasants arrive on friday and they already have gapes, just want to make sure i am doing it right as i am new to all this. we are on marsdens feed and have grower pellets and medicated poult pellets i was always told to give them the grower pellets first then the medicated poult pellets once they had been in the pen a while to allow them to catch anything that was in there first. is that right or should i be feeding the opposite way round?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

We feed meds first, then growers, then back to meds then growers again. 1 week, 2 weeks, etc.

I'm not been funny lads but using medicine as a prevention instead of a cure will lead to disasters when you do get something. It will also lead to the banning of some very good medicines as has happe

If you lads dont get bothered with gapes then its not a must to feed it. And at £ a tonne on top of your usual order i'd try my hardest to not use it. But if you've had it in your pens then your more

All my grower had flub in it to start then would do 3 or 4 tonn of poult pellets(plain) then give them another go with a tonn of poult pellets with flub, then start mixing plain pellet & wheat

I'd be speaking to my game dealer if they had gapes with in a few days of going to wood!!!

With all this wet weather we have had i would not be too suprised to see birds arrive off the rearing field with gapes,also its quite late in the season to put birds t o wood so you have probably had the second batch through the huts.I get my birds at about seven weeks weather permitting,and they go on 23%early growers,then at 9weeks they go on growers with FLUBENVET for a week or so then back to growers then at twelve weeks they go back on FLUBENVET before going on to wheat.

A little tip when once on wheat get a hand sprayer and put about a inch and half of pancur in the bottom and fill the rest with water as your filling you bag of wheat up out of the trailer or your spinner ar what ever you use and lightly spray the wheat not to much so it binds together and gets stuck in your spinner enough so its damp.Do so for 5-7 days and i've found thats as good as any thing.Also 1 litre to 250 litres of water in your header tank but keep giving it a stir 3-4 times aday also works very well.

If you lads dont get bothered with gapes then its not a must to feed it. And at £80 a tonne on top of your usual order i'd try my hardest to not use it. But if you've had it in your pens then your more than likely to get it so have it ready.

I wouldn't be going with any set ages to dose them either....i'd do it after you've had a bad batch of weather. If your birds turn up in glorious sunshine and then you have nice weather for the next week then you'll just be wasting it if the next week is pouring with rain.

Its actually not a serious killer and its very treatable when they have it.....not like Cocci and Hexam' where you really need to have it into them before there all feet up...... :thumbs:

• Like 1

If you lads dont get bothered with gapes then its not a must to feed it. And at £80 a tonne on top of your usual order i'd try my hardest to not use it. But if you've had it in your pens then your more than likely to get it so have it ready.

I wouldn't be going with any set ages to dose them either....i'd do it after you've had a bad batch of weather. If your birds turn up in glorious sunshine and then you have nice weather for the next week then you'll just be wasting it if the next week is pouring with rain.

Its actually not a serious killer and its very treatable when they have it.....not like Cocci and Hexam' where you really need to have it into them before there all feet up...... :thumbs:

The reason that i treat my birds like this is that i order all my food before i take delivery of my birds.By having it in one delivery reduces cost,Ive got it so i use it ,I have had birds in these pens for years and treated them like this and never heard a snick.

The reason that i treat my birds like this is that i order all my food before i take delivery of my birds.By having it in one delivery reduces cost,Ive got it so i use it ,I have had birds in these pens for years and treated them like this and never heard a snick.

Hey i'm not knocking you mate......that old saying if its not broke dont fix it.. :thumbs: What i was getting at is everyone seems to worry about gapes and its easily treatable. I mean you dont go and buy bottles of medicine and bang them in the water just for the hell of it, thats because everything is that dam expensive. I will say whether you treat them or not with the Flub' if gapes decides to hit your pen you'll be getting it and you'll keep getting it until you decide to move your pen....... :yes:

Hey i'm not knocking you mate......that old saying if its not broke dont fix it.. :thumbs: What i was getting at is everyone seems to worry about gapes and its easily treatable. I mean you dont go and buy bottles of medicine and bang them in the water just for the hell of it, thats because everything is that dam expensive. I will say whether you treat them or not with the Flub' if gapes decides to hit your pen you'll be getting it and you'll keep getting it until you decide to move your pen....... :yes:

I know what your saying mate and i have not taken offence.I get flubenvet and AVATEC added to my food ,used to have to have a prescription from your vet but this year its been deregulated.I find that when the weather is wet getting medication into em via water difficult ,you can bet your life that they will be drinking out of puddles and tyre ruts.Prevention is better than cure ,its what works for me. :thumbs: Edited by shovel leaner

Talking of prevention we baycox at 2,4,and 6 weeks on our field and touch wood that has stop us geting cocci dead some people believe in it some don't but all can say is it woks for us

Pheasants???......

Bayer have spent a huge amount of time and money recently because of a loss of efficacy of Baycox and there conclusion for this is that routine/over use of Baycox can and has led to Coccidiosis which is resistant to Toltrazuril,