Best Scope ?

Money no object?.

You absolutely sure??

Take a look at the range offered by the finest precision optics in the business.

SCHMIDT & BENDER

Nothing else I shot with and used as a military marksman and Tactical weapons Instructor/examiner for 12 years could match their Military spec scopes and I'd have nothing else but their sporting scopes on my air rifles, if I had the money to spare for them.

Military snipers the world over use their Mil-scopes costing around £5,000 upwards. (You don't want to know what their NV costs!)

You can spend well over £1,000 to £2000-plus for an S&B sporting 4-12 X 42 with a basic mil-dot reticle. But, those mil-dots are precision set for quick calibration on a recoil-indistructable retical and solid brass gimble. And once you zero it, it's staying put on that zero, regardless of the weather and air temperature. Till you re-zero again. It will rangefind to within inches of your target's distance -even if that's over a mile away or 25 yards in front of you.

It will hold its internal precision like new while the outer shell gets the worst that decades of heavy, unforgiving use can abuse it to. And it will still hold together. I loved them to...well, I never saw one die!

Hawke?

They don't even begin to approach the standard of Schmidt & Bender.

But still, I guess money was the limit after all! :thumbs:

All the best with your new purchase.

Simon

Edited by pianoman
  • Like 2

I use 2 Simmons Aetecs but was thinking of getting a Panorama, would i be any better off ?.

Hi Samboy.

Not really. Simmons Aetech are a lovely scope. Especially for rimfire .22 and 17HMR; and if yours are paralaxed suitably for use at the shorter air rifle ranges, you should be a happy chappy using the two you have. :thumbs:

Built with way much better precision and tougher than Hawke in my experience. :yes:

Don't get me wrong, Hawke make a decent scope for reasonable money. A lot of chaps buy them and swear by them on PCP rifles. But, in my experience as a spring rifle man, of owning several Hawkes, they are certainly not as tough and durable as the much older Simmons scopes I still have and swear by.

Nor, I've found, do all Hawke scopes actually suit a spring rifle. :hmm:

One Hawke MAP Pro 4-16x50 SR6 scope I have has now, mysteriously, decided to refuse to raise its elevation to zero with my HW77 .22. Its run out of UP on the turret dial and is still shooting several inches too low at 30-metres! Anyone else who prefers shooting a springer had this experience ? :hmm:

Yet, the Hawke 6-18X44 SR12 job I also have works with this same rifle absolutely superbly. :toast: Well, rather, It did, :icon_eek: until the other day when I came home with my 77 in it's bag and the shoulder strap broke. It slipped off my shoulder and clonked my doorstep. It was in a thick, foam- padded bag and the impact wasn't much..till I took the rifle out and saw that the tube was now noticeably bent downwards right on the zoom ring. it should have survived a non-too-severe a knock like this,but it clearly has not! :cray:

I used to have one of the first Aetechs' in my collection and then traded it for my first 4.5-14x40mm Whitetail. And I still have a Simmons 6-18X40 Pro Air Target scope and two 4.5-14X40 AO Whitetail Classic scopes with graphite coating and all have simple 30-30 reticles. The perfect scope for a heavy recoiling FAC HW80. And on my sub-12 ft/lb HW77. I shoot my Whitetail scope on 8-mag and it puts pellet on-pellet, zero'd at a 25-metre target all day.

Good old Simmons are good enough still.

regards.

Simon

Edited by pianoman

You have already brought your scope but i would chuck MTC Viper in the mix...Great scopes all beit a little on the expensive side but you get what you pay for....Good luck with your new purchase.....As for money no object scopes i would go Swarovski Z6 it was made for Hunters and just under 2 grand it would be the one i would have if money was no object

• Like 1