• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is my new kit box just need to add landing boards and perches then I can move the birds in.

I'm not sure if this will work I'm struggling a bit with my new phone.

Made me laugh that paddy glad they give you joy can tell just reading it. Get some pics up

IMAG1369_zps2c315112.jpg

IMAG1368_zps39acae77.jpg

IMAG1370_zpsb16f21e8.jpg

This is my new kit box just need to add landing boards and perches then I can move the birds in.

Excuse my ignorance.....but what is a kit box ? do the birds actually live in that ?

I bought a few white doves last year and one of them dovecote things but they drove me mad the mess they made.........shame really as they added a bit of interest to the garden.

Cracking job that. Did you do it yourself?

No a mate of mines knocked it up for me. He's into the rollers now too.

Gnash a kit box is basically a small loft for housing flying rollers, the idea behind is to make the birds kit/perform better. If I want to breed them I've got breeding boxes in the shed and if I am keeping them cooped up without flying for any length of time I can pull the divide out on the new box and they have an 8ft loft of space.

Gnash a kit box is basically a small loft for housing flying rollers, the idea behind is to make the birds kit/perform better. If I want to breed them I've got breeding boxes in the shed and if I am keeping them cooped up without flying for any length of time I can pull the divide out on the new box and they have an 8ft loft of space.

I see...and how many birds would you keep in that mate ?......and that would work for any kind of pigeons not just rollers ?.......Quite like the idea of that better than a big smelly dusty loft if your only keeping small numbers i guess.

I'll be keeping maybe a dozen per side but it could comfortably house 25 a side I think. I can't be arsed with that many though tbh as its tricky enough seeing which are pulling their weight in a 12 bird kit. I would imagine all the flying type breeds could be flown from a kit box too.

I see...and how many birds would you keep in that mate ?......and that would work for any kind of pigeons not just rollers ?.......Quite like the idea of that better than a big smelly dusty loft if your only keeping small numbers i guess.

I prefer a loft -I like to be in and around them . good tidy job gnipper .. theres been one on ebay with a sun flight on the back ..

I gave some Fantail Doves to a young lad i know some time back as he wanted to " home " them to his garden shed......they bred in his shed and so about 6 of them were born there........the little i know about them id told him to keep them in for a good while which he did..............having got them a bit hungry he let them out for their first flight yesterday......................and they f****d straight off never to be seen again :D

He,s only a youngster and i feel a bit sorry for him so might get him some more......but what should he do different this time and how on that first flight can he get them to come back

Did even the 6 young birds fook off? As a rule birds don't leave the loft they were born in, tho to lose adults on the first few times out is normal. It sounds as tho he done as much as he could, my advice would have been to breed off them and let them out when they were taking turns on nest. do the lad a favour tho gnash and tell him to look into pouters, rollers and racers cos them fanatails are boring lol

They need to be trained how to get back into the loft first gnash and if they've been kept in a shed and never seen it from the outside how will they know to find it again? Keep them keen for food and whistle and shake some corn in a tin while you feed them so they associate that with grub so when they do go out you can call them down. I stick them outside in a wire cage so they can get an idea of their surroundings.

I prefer a loft -I like to be in and around them . good tidy job gnipper .. theres been one on ebay with a sun flight on the back ..

know what you mean about been around them mine are in a flight within a shed they drop into shed when called. I feed em then get em into flight cage so shed area is kept clean to sit in ect

Did even the 6 young birds fook off? As a rule birds don't leave the loft they were born in, tho to lose adults on the first few times out is normal. It sounds as tho he done as much as he could, my advice would have been to breed off them and let them out when they were taking turns on nest. do the lad a favour tho gnash and tell him to look into pouters, rollers and racers cos them fanatails are boring lol

My theory was if the youngsters flew without the parents there would be more chance of them coming back as they wouldnt follow the parents who were not born at his place ( you follow ? )..........i dont know maybe it was my fault its like the blind leading the blind :D ............however the good news is 3 of them turned up this morning......they landed on the roof of his house and it took him near all day to coax them down back into his shed...........not sure about them Pouters they look f****n ugly deformed things !...

Im thinking of getting him one of these kitbox things ive seen one on ebay and some more birds and setting him up properly he,s a nice lad who needs to be kept on the straight and narrow !.......still cant get my head round how you get them all back on that very first flight......short of tying string round their legs whats to stop them doing the same as these and just doing the off i dont get it :icon_redface: ..................anyway thanks for the advice chaps.

• Like 1

gnash google breaking pigeons to a new loft 2nd one down 2 posts there sum it up ... :thumbs: I`d look at a loft you can get in among them even when I kept rollers I had a loft ..kit boxes are for performance birds you still need a loft/shed to keep your breeding pairs in --